PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
"Party ribs".

Cut ribs into individual bones, rub all over, smoke 2 hours at 250, place in pan with butter and sauce, cover with foil and smoke an hour, sauce individual bones and place back on smoker to glaze the ribs (about 20 minutes).

It cuts the smoke time in half with good results when in a time crunch.

20240707_134243.jpg
20240707_134506.jpg

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
The other day we smoked one of our Heritage turkeys.
These Heritage breed are kinda the perfect blend between a factory Butterball and a wild turkey.
I love wild turkey, but when you want that "typical" turkey flavor for your turkey sandwich, wild is a bit dark and doesn't work great on a Club sandwich.
The 25+ pound factory bred turkeys can be a bit bland and sometimes have almost no flavor with the white meat.
These Heritage get to 20 pounds and have more fat than wild, but less than factory. They really are perfect in our opinion...... and yes, we DO sell them. :)
Don't let the pop out temp insert throw you off, we raised this bird.
The "pop outs" absolutely work. We have tested them for years and always produce a perfectly cooked bird. They can be tricked if you cook your bird in oil, or if you use VERY high heat. If you use them as suggested, they are within 1 or 2 degrees of a high end thermometer.
2018-07-29-10-02-15-AYXI4e78AEtps1wL.jpeg
Screenshot_20230702-130730_Facebook_kindlephoto-1585392941.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Meat smoking and "time crunch" are terms which should not be used together. Better time management/planning is the answer. bdwrotf Not always possible with "drop-ins" of course. Drop-ins will probably get a cold sandwich at my place. Smoking meat is nearly a religion with me. No short cuts ever, simply not fair to the pig or steer. God bless the pig!

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The other day we smoked one of our Heritage turkeys.
These Heritage breed are kinda the perfect blend between a factory Butterball and a wild turkey.
I love wild turkey, but when you want that "typical" turkey flavor for your turkey sandwich, wild is a bit dark and doesn't work great on a Club sandwich.
The 25+ pound factory bred turkeys can be a bit bland and sometimes have almost no flavor with the white meat.
These Heritage get to 20 pounds and have more fat than wild, but less than factory. They really are perfect in our opinion...... and yes, we DO sell them. :)
Don't let the pop out temp insert throw you off, we raised this bird.
The "pop outs" absolutely work. We have tested them for years and always produce a perfectly cooked bird. They can be tricked if you cook your bird in oil, or if you use VERY high heat. If you use them as suggested, they are within 1 or 2 degrees of a high end thermometer.
View attachment 322966
View attachment 322967
Respect.

• Love
Reactions: Sig
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Meat smoking and "time crunch" are terms which should not be used together. Better time management/planning is the answer. bdwrotf Not always possible with "drop-ins" of course. Drop-ins will probably get a cold sandwich at my place. Smoking meat is nearly a religion with me. No short cuts ever, simply not fair to the pig or steer. God bless the pig!
I generally agree.

In this case, "party ribs" create more exposed surface area for rub, bark, and smoke effect. As a result, the necessary cook time is reduced without negatively affecting the final product.

Reactions: Bbailey324

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I mostly agree with this.
If given the time, I love sitting around tending the BBQ for hours.
But, if we are having people over, which is quite often when BBQing, I do the quick method which MOST people prefer the taste of.......unfortunately. :(
I learned the quick method we use from a very, very respected BBQ legend from Texas.
This is the method MOST BBQ joints use.....even if they don't SAY they do. This isn't much quicker for ribs, but they turn out perfect every time.
For ribs I put them on a sheet pan, add some vinegar to the pan, cover with foil and bake for 1.5-2 hours on 250 degrees. Then put the ribs on the smoker for awhile. The ribs are already falling off the bones after the oven.
This same thing for Tri Tip, Brisket, chicken.......but with these bigger cuts, they are done many hours quicker.
And, due to the oven cooking making the meat more receptive to smoke, you get a deep, dark smoke ring, which makes it LOOK and taste like you smoked for hours. I can get a large brisket smoked to perfection in 4 hours!
Literally everyone says says they have never had such tender and juicy meat.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
I mostly agree with this.
If given the time, I love sitting around tending the BBQ for hours.
But, if we are having people over, which is quite often when BBQing, I do the quick method which MOST people prefer the taste of.......unfortunately. :(
I learned the quick method we use from a very, very respected BBQ legend from Texas.
This is the method MOST BBQ joints use.....even if they don't SAY they do. This isn't much quicker for ribs, but they turn out perfect every time.
For ribs I put them on a sheet pan, add some vinegar to the pan, cover with foil and bake for 1.5-2 hours on 250 degrees. Then put the ribs on the smoker for awhile. The ribs are already falling off the bones after the oven.
This same thing for Tri Tip, Brisket, chicken.......but with these bigger cuts, they are done many hours quicker.
And, due to the oven cooking making the meat more receptive to smoke, you get a deep, dark smoke ring, which makes it LOOK and taste like you smoked for hours. I can get a large brisket smoked to perfection in 4 hours!
Literally everyone says says they have never had such tender and juicy meat.
I guess this explains why I don’t enjoy most BBQ joint food. I get it, the masses love it, but then again, I don’t think the masses have had true slow-cooked BBQ, so it’s hard for them to compare. It’s just like smoking a pipe and picking a tobacco. It’s all subjective.

I have to say 4 hours to cook a whole brisket at 250 and be tender sounds to good to be true.

Reactions: The Amish Tyrant

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I guess this explains why I don’t enjoy most BBQ joint food. I get it, the masses love it, but then again, I don’t think the masses have had true slow-cooked BBQ, so it’s hard for them to compare. It’s just like smoking a pipe and picking a tobacco. It’s all subjective.

I have to say 4 hours to cook a whole brisket at 250 and be tender sounds to good to be true.
Ive had TONS of slow cooked BBQ, been doing it for many decades.
Been raising and processing cattle, hogs and sheep for decades also.
There is extremely limited difference, sometimes none, and sometimes the "quick" method is better. The difference is nominal if cooking for a larger number of people and time is a factor.
With brisket and larger hunks the oven temp can vary. I haven't done this with brisket in a decade or more. But, I have slow and quick cooked a LOT for events, picnics, contests and just Sunday dinner. We have a slaughterhouse and smoke house on our property. We have been making and selling hams, sausage, and selling primals for decades on this farm.
You may be surprised.
If you're ever in the NW PA area, you can come for dinner. :)

Last edited:

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I've been doing BBQ for two years using a Weber Smokey Mountain 22". I do pork butt most often, but have also done brisket, pork belly, chuck, chicken thighs, and ribs. I use the water pan with actual water in it. Kingsford original briquettes. Oak and cherry wood.

I dry brine all butts, briskets and chucks 24 hours in advance - heavily. Set on a rack in a tray uncovered.

I usually wrap and moisten on the stall, then rest in a cooler for 2-4 hours, depending on the situation.

The meat goes on the smoker cold. More smoke sticks to it that way.

The following is from a pork butt smoke last May.

Duroc Pork Butt. Okra, corn & tomatoes. Grandma Brown's Amazing Potato Salad. Carolina Mustard Sauce (not shown). I don't use much sauce, but Lori likes it and makes it.

Pork-Butt-01.jpg
Pork-Butt-02.jpg
Pork-Butt-03.jpg
Pork-Butt-04.jpg

Here's some things I did with leftover pork butt.

Pulled Pork Eggs Benedict
Pulled Pork Eggs Benedict.jpg

Carolina Gold BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza

BBQ Pulled Pork Pizza.jpg

Smoked Pulled Pork Loaded Nachos

Smoked Pulled Pork Loaded Nachos.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
I've been doing BBQ for two years using a Weber Smokey Mountain 22". I do pork butt most often, but have also done brisket, pork belly, chuck, chicken thighs, and ribs. I use the water pan with actual water in it. Kingsford original briquettes. Oak and cherry wood.

I dry brine all butts, briskets and chucks 24 hours in advance - heavily. Set on a rack in a tray uncovered.

I usually wrap and moisten on the stall, then rest in a cooler for 2-4 hours, depending on the situation.

Duroc Pork Butt. Okra, corn & tomatoes. Grandma Brown's Amazing Potato Salad. Carolina Mustard Sauce (not shown). I don't use much sauce, but Lori likes it and makes it.

View attachment 324197
View attachment 324198
View attachment 324199
View attachment 324200

View attachment 324201

View attachment 324202

View attachment 324203
I love my WSM 22”. I mostly put beef on it and use a filled water pan as well.

I did upgrade the door to a more solid one that seals better, but otherwise very solid and holds the heat very stable.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I guess this explains why I don’t enjoy most BBQ joint food.
Gotta pick and choose carefully. If I can't see a large smoker with stacks of wood nearby, I pass by. Our one true joint, Texas style, family owned, sadly closed years ago. The owners were working every morning by 5am, preparing for an 11am opening. No shortcuts, ever. Never sauced. Just great Texas beef, Burgers from the flat top for the children, of any age. Beans, pickle to accompany. Usually busy. On Christmas Day they had a family get together at the restaurant. One duty cops were encouraged to attend. Great folks! Great food!

The place closed when the patriarch died and his wife dell ill. The kids, three lovely daughters, hard working waitresses and pit masters in themselves, married and scattered to the four winds. The town suffered a great loss in my opinion.

Folks tried similar diners, over the years but, none seemed willing to put in the hours and tried short cuts.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas

View attachment 324197
View attachment 324198
View attachment 324199
View attachment 324200

View attachment 324201

View attachment 324202

View attachment 324203

You had me at Pulled Pork Eggs Benedict.

1000013535.jpg

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Some delicious looking food! I’m just a gas griller but I recently replaced my old cast iron smoke box with a stainless smoke tube from Amazon. Wow! What a difference that has made to grilling low and slow. I can really taste the smoke.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Hooked up a 22lb Wagyu brisket last night from Costco on the pellet grill with a big round of grilling queso. 11 hour smoke. This thing jiggled like jello when i pulled it. Buttery fantabulousness!

View attachment 326811
Very nice. And enough beef to feed a small army.

My lady got me a "meat box" as a gift. She picked a variety of goodies for the first box (some roasts, rack of ribs, strips). I got to pick the second box and ordered ribeyes (my favorite cut of beef) and small briskets.

Looking forward to playing with the briskets in the near future.