PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I must say, I'm very envious of some of these setups. But the kids start moving out in a just a few years so maybe I'll get my smoking room. As it is right now, my cellar is the top case of one of those...pieces of furniture with the huge top cabinet and the bottom drawers. Like a large stretched out curio cabinet filled with jars and tins living in the basement (or "cellar"). My pipe storage is a couple racks on the top shelf of the closet by the front door. The rest of the shelves are my open jar/tin rotation.
1717352013338910737004009911712.jpg17173520473006333522306775091282.jpg
It's not sophisticated nor anything I'm excited to show off. Instead it's beauty is in its utilitarianism. It's right by the front door. That means I'm right there to my porch swing for maximum outdoors enjoyment. There's a very pleasant if soft pipe tobacco aroma as you walk into my house. And that's all the room I have, so it keeps PAD in control. Ok, fine. It channels is energy to the TAD side of things.

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
This has been a fun thread to follow, with many great pictures of pipe storage options. The original poster had space limitations and so do I, so I thought I’d post my “solutions” to storage issues that are of my own making (I have a self-imposed 10 pipe limit and restrict my pipe hobby space to one shelf on an old Ikea book shelf.

Below is my pipe nook with storage for 10 pipes. I have two extras on display and one incoming so what to do? I don’t often smoke the metal pipes as they are just too much trouble to clean (see picture two with the pipes in one of dad’s pipe stands), but they were my dad’s. He purchased them right after WW2, so they are precious keepsakes, and they do smoke wonderfully, but so do all my pipes.

My solution was to move the three rarely used metal pipes to a picture frame, add a few photos of dad from WW2 and make a little display that will be hung on our wall with all the family photos (picture 3). I can always remove the pipes if I want as they will be attached with elastic cord.

As soon as my next pipe shows up in the mail my nook will be back up to 10 and my self-imposed “problem” is solved!

Attachments

• Pipe Nook.jpg
    Pipe Nook.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 23
  • metal pipes.jpg
    metal pipes.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 23
  • pipe display.jpg
    pipe display.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 24

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
This has been a fun thread to follow, with many great pictures of pipe storage options. The original poster had space limitations and so do I, so I thought I’d post my “solutions” to storage issues that are of my own making (I have a self-imposed 10 pipe limit and restrict my pipe hobby space to one shelf on an old Ikea book shelf.

Below is my pipe nook with storage for 10 pipes. I have two extras on display and one incoming so what to do? I don’t often smoke the metal pipes as they are just too much trouble to clean (see picture two with the pipes in one of dad’s pipe stands), but they were my dad’s. He purchased them right after WW2, so they are precious keepsakes, and they do smoke wonderfully, but so do all my pipes.

My solution was to move the three rarely used metal pipes to a picture frame, add a few photos of dad from WW2 and make a little display that will be hung on our wall with all the family photos (picture 3). I can always remove the pipes if I want as they will be attached with elastic cord.

As soon as my next pipe shows up in the mail my nook will be back up to 10 and my self-imposed “problem” is solved!
I love your picture of your dad along with his pipes. It gives me a great idea for doing something with my dad's pipe.

Oh, and as to getting one more pipe will solve your problem...... nah. You'll start buying more pipes and need more and more room. It is a fact of physics and the cosmos. You can't stop it. :col:

Joe H

Lurker
May 22, 2024
Alaska
Douglas: The peg board hooks are the model of efficiency! The old red one looks like a boot dryer - if you rigged up a fan and managed to direct the air up through the tubes it would be a quick pipe dryer.

Choatecav: You may be right. Forums like this do provoke a lot of reflection on the pastime, and expose a lot of cool products that would remain hidden except for the infinite resources of the internet. But the incoming pipe is only my third pipe purchase in 30 years, and I recently got rid of a seven-place pipe rack because I didn’t think I’d ever fill it. So in all, I’m pretty sure this will be my last pipe purchase, but if I stray, I’ll certainly let the collected readership of this forum know if (when) I stray.

Douglas

Lurker
Apr 1, 2023
Georgia, USA
Douglas: The peg board hooks are the model of efficiency! The old red one looks like a boot dryer - if you rigged up a fan and managed to direct the air up through the tubes it would be a quick pipe dryer.

Choatecav: You may be right. Forums like this do provoke a lot of reflection on the pastime, and expose a lot of cool products that would remain hidden except for the infinite resources of the internet. But the incoming pipe is only my third pipe purchase in 30 years, and I recently got rid of a seven-place pipe rack because I didn’t think I’d ever fill it. So in all, I’m pretty sure this will be my last pipe purchase, but if I stray, I’ll certainly let the collected readership of this forum know if (when) I stray.
Well there you go. Consider the Devils Pipe Organ repurposed!

Reactions: Joe H

Rossi320

Can't Leave
Jul 4, 2023
Northumberland county, pa
I picked up this old oak, bow-front cabinet at estate sale. It needed some small repairs and I got it cheap.
I added six, Fairfax brand six-pipe racks and a bunch of "Westie" stands. I put an LED light on each level. It has served my purpose well (it is almost too big these days!)

View attachment 191767
I would love that and all those pipes. I keep looking for a pipe rack at thrift stores and such...this is my goal

Reactions: RookieGuy80

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I would love that and all those pipes. I keep looking for a pipe rack at thrift stores and such...this is my goal
Antique stores is where you want to look. My wife loves antique stores, which means I go to a lot of antique shops. Racks and older American factory eatates (Grabows and Medicos and Kaywoodies with the odd Falcon here and there) abound.

• Love
Reactions: Rossi320

happy_lunter

Lifer
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
My buddy from pipe club makes racks and they're gorgeous. Really top notch work
View attachment 314460

My big project is custom shelving for a secretary desk I have, like the one pictured here with Carlo
View attachment 314462
That’s a tight and streamlined setup. Looks like it’s a combo of two pieces - a secretary desk and a cabinet with a rack mounted neatly right above it.

The rack your buddy makes look great, by the way.

Last edited:

happy_lunter

Lifer
Jul 1, 2020
Vaughan, ON
Since my last post here, I’ve added two more of the small cedar and glass cases, grabbed some cabinet lighting off eBay and my wife found this old stackable book case for my tobacco tins. I try to separate the pipes by maker or style (ie, bamboo stems or vintage boxed sets together).
You’ve got a small museum going on there. 😃 Great collection!

Reactions: Mike N

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Do you have a daily "go to" smoke?

If so, a rack with a tobacco jar makes a decent option. Mine holds 6 pipes (I've seen smaller and slightly larger) and they can be found on ebay for a reasonable price.

View attachment 191762
eBay currently has a couple old seven pipe racks, complete with days inscribed for a week’s rotation, and a few of the ones with jars.
My Decatur:
IMG_0751.jpeg

I’m currently searching for a couple straight thin 7 pipe racks for atop my jar cabinet, but hate the sticker shock of most.
I do need to pick up another round for my desk so the Decatur (which was my father’s) can go back to housing his pipes he passed on to me.

urbanpiper

Lurker
Oct 3, 2022
While I still have a few of the more conventional racks, such as the one pictured with some of my antique meerschaums, I decided a while back to go more "vertical" in my storage approach. This brought about a board with wooden pegs glued into it at a slight angle. I have it on the side of my cigar humidor and it takes up very little space and is very handy for seeing and selecting my pipe of choice.

Not a very glamorous method, it is very functional and works well for my needs.

View attachment 314580View attachment 314581View attachment 314582
Love the peg rack idea. I've a peg one as well but it works on a different premise
1000006538.jpg

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I do not wish to show off, or brag about my fine pipe cabinet and its absolutely perfect set up, but I must. Notice the way I perfectly place each pipe to show its true beauty. The 1/2 inch of dust is a design choice most won't understand possibly. :rolleyes:
View attachment 314826
I've heard great things about the benefits of 1/2" dust and was thinking of adding it to my pipes, as well. In your considered opinion, is imported dust better or will domestic dust serve just as well??? :ROFLMAO: