PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I commissioned a sixteen pipe rack by JIEZAWOODstudio in China. I had to wait a little bit because he needed to photograph it for his Etsy shop (my rack is the one used for his photos of the sixteen pipe rack with tin storage below) and am very happy with it. Its width better accommodates my wider pipes than my twenty-four or thirty-six Decatur racks, which are narrow (they’re from a different era when pipes tended to be smaller). My biggest complaint about the Decatur racks is that any lower rows that have holes for stems can mostly only fit straight pipes. These options can cost hundreds, but, bargains can be found.

These days, I’ve switched to just getting ProSource 18 sunglasses boxes, which can be used to display or close up and pack pipes. The limitation is the size of the compartment when it comes to the the length and width of the pipe. For medium and small pipes, they’re great. Amazon has these for twenty bucks a pop.

71Cd-aaNC9S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71ERhxImJsS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

21I8w2c+-4S._AC_SY1000_.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That is a wonderful solution!

I find it necessary and pretty easy to modify the older racks (Decatur or Fairfax). I cut the o-shapes into u-shapes. There's a thread I posted here somewhere on that mod
6-Pipe_Rack_Fairfax.JPG

I commissioned a sixteen pipe rack by JIEZAWOODstudio in China. I had to wait a little bit because he needed to photograph it for his Etsy shop (my rack is the one used for his photos of the sixteen pipe rack with tin storage below) and am very happy with it. Its width better accommodates my wider pipes than my twenty-four or thirty-six Decatur racks, which are narrow (they’re from a different era when pipes tended to be smaller). My biggest complaint about the Decatur racks is that any lower rows that have holes for stems can mostly only fit straight pipes. These options can cost hundreds, but, bargains can be found.

These days, I’ve switched to just getting ProSource 18 sunglasses boxes, which can be used to display or close up and pack pipes. The limitation is the size of the compartment when it comes to the the length and width of the pipe. For medium and small pipes, they’re great. Amazon has these for twenty bucks a pop.

View attachment 191763

View attachment 191764

View attachment 191766

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
I have several racks, large and small. They're a pain in the butt. And no one other than other pipe smokers, cats, and small children look upon them as anything of interest, at least in my circle. I am thinking of just throwing my <100 pipes into a drawer or drawers. I have several lawyer-type bookcases with the drawers on the bottom, and there they'll go, out of sight and mind. But everyone has to do their own thing.

If I did want to display them, for whatever reason, I'd toss the friggin' racks and opt for the pegboard type of display, like the B&Ms do, with the rubber shank grippers (fishing rod holders?) that allow easy, secure access.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
That is a wonderful solution!

I find it necessary and pretty easy to modify the older racks (Decatur or Fairfax). I cut the o-shapes into u-shapes. There's a thread I posted here somewhere on that mod
View attachment 191780
Not all of the multi-tiered Decatur racks have the holes at the front that can be converted to u-shapes—many have the holes in the rear on the lower levels, that sit behind the divots that are on the same level.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI

View attachment 191763

View attachment 191764

View attachment 191766
Oh....my.....

I actually love this idea!