Pipe Smoking and Mental Health

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ok ok ok, the one time I had to set in a psychiatrist's office was during my divorce with my mentally ill 1st wife. I wanted my 2 and 4 year old daughters to get all of the counseling and care possible. So, a lot of the time in that visit I would just let them go into the office and I sat out in the waiting room.

So, I am getting bored... this is pre smartphone era. I am reading some magazines and stuff, when I realize that this beautiful 20something is making eyes at me. This knock out girl was setting across from me, and I noticed that she was casually spreading her legs so that I could see up her skirt... very clearly... Then she smiled at me and was making these really obvious come hither eyes... I was like "oh wow, I can't believe my luck"... then I realized that she was a patient waiting to see her psychiatrist, ha ha.
The most beautiful crazy women are always throwing themselves at me. My fucking luck. puffy

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Ok ok ok, the one time I had to set in a psychiatrist's office was during my divorce with my mentally ill 1st wife. I wanted my 2 and 4 year old daughters to get all of the counseling and care possible. So, a lot of the time in that visit I would just let them go into the office and I sat out in the waiting room.

So, I am getting bored... this is pre smartphone era. I am reading some magazines and stuff, when I realize that this beautiful 20something is making eyes at me. This knock out girl was setting across from me, and I noticed that she was casually spreading her legs so that I could see up her skirt... very clearly... Then she smiled at me and was making these really obvious come hither eyes... I was like "oh wow, I can't believe my luck"... then I realized that she was a patient waiting to see her psychiatrist, ha ha.
The most beautiful crazy women are always throwing themselves at me. My fucking luck. puffy
I had a high school Spanish teacher that did that

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Where to begin.

There are three mirrors I think about when I consider the old maxim, Know Thy Self."

First, "How do you see yourself?"

Second, "How do you think others see you?"

Third, "How do people really see you?"

Most people are fairly good at the first question, and probably have a good idea for an answer to the second question. Where a therapist can help is with the third question. The challenge then becomes to bring all three answers to the three questions to some type of status equilibrium.

But even that is not enough to open the door to self-actualization. There are so many variables.

But, when the starting point for anyone in terms of the third or even second question is, "Frankly, I don't give a damn!" A therapist is not going to be much help.

The answer to the third question is tricky because unless one really cares about others, caring about yourself just isn't going to be possible. No matter how much one protests to the contrary.

Why? Because we are social beings. It is wired into our DNA.

The answer to Thoreau's observation about not living a life of quiet desperation is NOT to live a life of denial and delusion to the obvious - which is we need the love and comfort of those around us to achieve a sense of health and happiness.

dbarr65

Lurker
Dec 5, 2021
Mental being is an enduring concerning of mine. I'm prone to acute anxiety, and I often struggle with bouts of ennui and seasonal depression. Exercise, sleep, and a reasonable diet are all fairly crucial in curbing these things. And while the family pediatrician is unlikely to recommend pipe smoking, it's been a crucial component in lifting my general mood. While I've had a few extended hiatuses from smoking, I'm immediately reminded why I love it whenever I return. My family notices how it affects my disposition. I'm more content, patient, and less prone to fuss at the kids. In short, it's been great for my mental well-being.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the pipe and its relationship to your own flourishing.
The pipe gives me great relaxation on busy days. I find the pipe a great friend.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Truth, every car part I get to fix my vehicle says it may cause cancer to people in California or may not be sold California, which makes me wonder how you all get your cars fixed? ?
They might not soon. They've outlawed the sale of new gasoline engine powered mowing equipment to go into effect soon.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Laurent

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida

I forgot about this thread. No I was not doing shrooms when I was telling that story. I am getting a tad long in the tooth for shrooms now a days.. Besides I have no access to fresh shrooms, every thing is freezed dried. If I was ever in Jamaica again I would do it again. You only live once. My problem would be getting back in the freaking boat, dropping off the side isn't a problem.

H

Hfinn

I had an anxiety disorder in 2019. For about two years I suffered from severe anxiety and unpleasant bodily sensations. Passion for pipes can be said to have saved me. It was hard to work in the office or spend time at home, because I could not think of anything but my depressed state. It seemed impossible to change the direction of my thoughts. It just so happened that the only thing I got really interested in and was able divert my attention to was briar pipes. I have probably visited most of the online stores and looked at literally every pipe in them. I'm just addicted to them. Of course, I worked in parallel with my psychologist and this also gave its results. But my new hobby. Tobacco smoking, cleaning, grooming, polishing the bowls, sorting pipes, packing, unpacking, going to the post office, regular trips to the local shop, all this became a super distraction for me. I was looking for a way to change my dominant and I found it.

Sep 19, 2019
There is an oft-quoted statistic that those who smoke 1-2 bowls a week have a slightly longer life-expectancy than non-smokers. I've always attributed this to the fact that people who can and do take a little bit of time out of their week to experience the ritual of pipe smoking likely have less stress in their lives or better fit to handle it. Stress is a killer.