PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
One good friend is worth far more more than all the therapists in the world.

Friendships are essential. But they are different than seeing a therapist. They are not the same, they are not mutually exclusive. They are different, with a different set of values.

Anyway, what nonsense. We are all therapists, even a light-hearted chat with someone at a bus stop can lift the spirits.

We are not all therapists. Therapists go through expansive training and education. They understand the intricacies of human behavior. They can help guide you, based on that training and understanding of context. Your therapist is often effective in ways that an acquaintance can not be because they are NOT your friend.

A chat with someone at the bus stop may be therapeutic, but it is by no means psychotherapy. I find target shooting to be very therapeutic, but I certainly don't consider it to be psychotherapy.

Nobody needs training for that. It's all just part of normal social interaction. A dose of reality and good common sense is needed here

Perhaps that works for you, and perhaps you believe that would work for others. My experience differs.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I hope I haven't given the impression that I am fully opposed to therapy. I know it works for some. Some think it works for them and, that's a good thing. Others play the therapist like a fine violin to validate behavior. There are no more, nor less competent individuals in that profession than as in any other.

It is one of those professions, like teaching, law enforcement, and others, which attract incompetents as well as the dedicated.

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I know 2 therapist and in their own personal lives are a mess, I hope they give better advice then they apply in their own life.
Yep. All joking aside, I think therapists (myself included) are some of the most disturbed people I know.

Here’s the thing though- it’s not the overtly distressed people I’m afraid of in life, it’s the folk who think- and pretend to be- normal.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I think the clarity is, some of us can recognize our problems and fix them. If you’re some who is really struggling with something, say something to someone. Whether it be a good friend, a good therapist, religion, hell sometimes just saying it out loud to yourself helps. We all have our quirks and it’s nice everyone shared their own experiences because that in it self can help some others and even ourselves.
The best thing is, we all agree on one thing, that we all enjoy pipe smoking for whatever our reason is. So cheers to all you gentlemen! Have a good smoke and a good day!

aspiring_sage

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2021
West of the Twin Cities, MN
I hope I haven't given the impression that I am fully opposed to therapy. I know it works for some. Some think it works for them and, that's a good thing. Others play the therapist like a fine violin to validate behavior. There are no more, nor less competent individuals in that profession than as in any other.

It is one of those professions, like teaching, law enforcement, and others, which attract incompetents as well as the dedicated.
I happen to appreciate your consistent attitude of “Let’s not get ahead of ourselves saying pipes and pipe forums promote better health. We really don’t have the evidence for that.”

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I think the clarity is, some of us can recognize our problems and fix them. If you’re some who is really struggling with something, say something to someone. Whether it be a good friend, a good therapist, religion, hell sometimes just saying it out loud to yourself helps. We all have our quirks and it’s nice everyone shared their own experiences because that in it self can help some others and even ourselves.
The best thing is, we all agree on one thing, that we all enjoy pipe smoking for whatever our reason is. So cheers to all you gentlemen! Have a good smoke and a good day!
Here here! I’ve enjoyed smoking my pipe reading this thread!!

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Here here! I’ve enjoyed smoking my pipe reading this thread!!
I hope nothing I said offended you as a therapist, really do see the need for some people to have them in their lives. I also have a little sympathy for therapists because I can imagine the frustration of trying to help someone that doesn’t want to use the advice to help themselves. Like I said, I know two people who go and literally make no attempt at changing. In my personal opinion though, I don’t think they really want to and have found comfort in their distress.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Some personal problems/stressors are simply to be accepted and manipulated so as to act as positives while trying to make life better. The statement, "Life's a bitch and then we die." is very true for many. This is especially true for those whose profession means they witness, many times, man's incredible inhumanity to his fellow humans.

Like I said, I know two people who go and literally make no attempt at changing. In my personal opinion though, I don’t think they really want to and have found comfort in their distress.
A lot of truth in the above. Wisdom even.