PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I might add, the best thing a man can do for his mental health is to sell all your worldly possessions, buy a cabin tent and move up to the mountains away from society. Live off the land. It worked wonderfully for me! Oh, and don't forget your pipes and baccy!
I would be eaten by squirrels within the first hour of living off the land.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
In all of these posts, no where did I read mention of the need to find spiritual harmony with one's self, the world, and God. We are more than the sum of our parts. Physical and mental health are easily understood to be important in modern life, but without spiritual health, it is like sitting on a three-legged stool that only has two legs. Balance will always be frustrating.

Jun 25, 2021
England
And for those who deny the existence of God, surely you must recognize that there is something greater than yourself. A person who believes that they are in service to no one but themselves will find that they are poorly served.
One man who denied God, and thought he would save humanity is now dead. I walked on Stephen Hawkings grave in Westminster Abbey a while ago.
Haha the futility of men's plans is laughable, they are still trying to build the tower of Babel even now !

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I’ve actually seen studies where pipe smokers even lived longer than non-smokers!

My best friend is a very talented therapist. He found the study quite interesting, and said it may be a whole host of factors, but that in general he could see how pipe smoking is a great stress reliever. And he suggested that the benefits provided there certainly could outweigh any negative impacts of smoking. (Of course pipe smoking is the safest form of smoking, followed by cigars, as the smoke is not inhaled and the nicotine is absorbed via the mucus membrane in the mouth and nose.)

He also said that almost ALL of his adolescent patients who wrestle with things like ADD/ADHD smoke cigarettes (or vape these days.) He attributes that to being a sort of natural phenomenon, bc those patients are usually treated with stimulants, and nicotine is a stimulant. Thus, it provides them a certain mental clarity they likely don’t even directly realize or correlate to tobacco use. And so, along with the other obvious addictive elements present, they are also naturally drawn to nicotine consumption for its therapeutic properties.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Well, I survived this long due to a great triple by-pass and then the great efforts by the nursing staff to revive me when I flat-lined in the middle of the night. My smoking obviously contributed to the heart problems. Medical staff was almost soley responsible to my last two years and any future time I may enjoy.

But, I'm still waiting to see studies and methodology. I'm suspicious, by nature, with regard to unsupported claims. Not questioning the veracity of posted information, simply want to see the supporting material.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
Well, I survived this long due to a great triple by-pass and then the great efforts by the nursing staff to revive me when I flat-lined in the middle of the night. My smoking obviously contributed to the heart problems. Medical staff was almost soley responsible to my last two years and any future time I may enjoy.

But, I'm still waiting to see studies and methodology. I'm suspicious, by nature, with regard to unsupported claims. Not questioning the veracity of posted information, simply want to see the supporting material.
The study just showed that pipe and cigar smokers had a life expectancy of 2-3 years longer then cigarette smokers but not longer then a none smoker. Smoking can still cause many issues. It’s one of those studies that doesn’t really prove anything. I think what people are saying on here, and correcting me if I’m wrong, that taking a moment to have a rotten and to relax for a moment, helps with their own mental health. Stress is one of the biggest killers of humans. There’s a wonderful book written in the 40’s “how to stop worrying and start living” that explains this very well.

Reactions: JOHN72

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
What many here have written for years; accept the risk and enjoy. That I can totally relate to and endorse. Everyone should have a wee vice to enjoy.

PS: Cover your own medical bills and do not look to your neighbors taxes to bail you out. I firmly believe in such and have great medical insurance. Only 1200.00 bucks out of pocket for the above.

Last edited: