PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Well, I survived this long due to a great triple by-pass and then the great efforts by the nursing staff to revive me when I flat-lined in the middle of the night. My smoking obviously contributed to the heart problems. Medical staff was almost soley responsible to my last two years and any future time I may enjoy.

But, I'm still waiting to see studies and methodology. I'm suspicious, by nature, with regard to unsupported claims. Not questioning the veracity of posted information, simply want to see the supporting material.
Look here, page 92, fourth paragraph from the top states that pipe smokers who don't inhale have a .8% mortality rate, meaning they live longer than a non smoker which have a 1.0% mortality rate.

Smoking and Health (pages 76-100) - Reports of the Surgeon General - Profiles in Science (nih.gov)

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
I think the word "therapist" "psychologist" "psychiatrist" can easily be replaced by "good friend". The problem with being a "good friend" some don't want to tell you, as a good friend, are a complete dick and need to change. You might argue that a "good friend" isn't a "good friend" if they do not want to tell you the truth, you being a dick, but that's how it mostly works.

The personal coach I worked with was willing to call me a dick (which I was and maybe to some still am), we actually got in a hefty argument in the first hour of the first session. In the following sessions we slowly build me up from being a dick less or not caring people thinking i'm a dick. I think that is the big difference with getting a professional to change or steer your behavior to what you can feel comfortable with, they don't have to become or stay friends with you, but have to be able to have a normal conversation with you and get paid for their services.

Like @telescopes says, some need a purpose in life to make them happy and give them directions in life, if that's God or something/someone else is up to you.

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I've heard this many times. Could you possibly post a citation as I'd like to see the study and its methodology.
I’d have to do some digging. I have no memory of where I saw it at the moment. But it might’ve been on this forum. Seems like maybe @SBC posted a thread about a month ago with a bunch of links to a variety of peer-reviewed studies related to pipe smoking.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Look here, page 92, fourth paragraph from the top states that pipe smokers who don't inhale have a .8% mortality rate, meaning they live longer than a non smoker which have a 1.0% mortality rate.
I'm familiar with that study and all of the included exceptions. It's rather dated with small sample sizes. Again lots of exceptions. It is something to grasp when looking for support but, science has moved considerably passed what is contained in the report of a couple of studies. I''m not saying any of it is wrong, the conclusions are based on the available at the time, data collected. I'm simply of the opinion that there is no efficacious impact on one's health to be achieved through the removal of oxygen in the blood by nicotine. The negative impact of the reduced amount of oxygen to the brain is not to be denied.

Smokers are risk takers by their nature as supported by insurance studies. So, rather than find dated studies with minimal support for "non-inhaling" smoking, accept the known risks and enjoy the pipe, cigarette, cigar or other means of getting the nicotine.

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
In all of these posts, no where did I read mention of the need to find spiritual harmony with one's self, the world, and God. We are more than the sum of our parts. Physical and mental health are easily understood to be important in modern life, but without spiritual health, it is like sitting on a three-legged stool that only has two legs. Balance will always be frustrating.
Amen to that brother. But be careful... we cant talk about religion or politics here. Makes me sad but the rules are the rules.

Reactions: dctune

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Amen to that brother. But be careful... we cant talk about religion or politics here. Makes me sad but the rules are the rules.
Agreed, but I am not referring to religion. Recognition that humankind has a sense of something beyond themselves is the green light to understanding that we have a spiritual component to our identity. Religion would be a specific system of practice and who wants to argue that. Separation of Church and State does not mean not acknowledging the importance of both.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I equate my pipe smoking to my scuba diving. early 80's Things are quieter, there are few people around. The weightlessness's it a really cool feeling. My goal every time I went down, was to beat the master to see if I had more air in my tank than he did. My late 50's-lats mothers beat ever man on the breathing race. My dad sucked down a tank in 30 minutes or less. All he care about was getting his damn pictures.

Some were really cool, but he was the worst buddy in the world. I could be drowning 5 feet from him and he expected me to keep him from getting in trouble. I had to keep him from trampling on all the flora and Fauna which was incredibly beautiful especially when you drink a glass of mushroom tea before my dive. I was totally beaming and I kept telling The pipe tobacco was average at best. They should have kept the old resume's where people knew go. You go in force all ] up and you let them know who you guys and when can i Hire.

especially when you drink a glass of mushroom tea before my dive. I was totally beaming and I kept telling The pipe tobacco was average at best. They should have kept the old resume's where people knew go. You go in force all ] up and you let them know who you guys and when can i Hire.
Wait, what?! Are you on the tea right now?

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Smoking a low nicotine blend infrequently, or as the Surgeon General’s report noted, a bowl of day seems like minimal harm.

Perhaps someone can weigh in with an actual medical opinion, but the great harm of smoking (non inhaling) is either cancer risk from heat/burns, or the nicotine’s effect of constructing the venous system As far as I have read.

Reactions: TheWhale13