PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Flopoz

Lurker
Feb 6, 2023
I would like to respectfully respond to this statement and a couple of your other posts:

Unfortunately, lots of people are cynical about psychiatry. Some of them even are psychiatrists. Certainly, like any other profession, there are more and less competent psychiatrists, and all medical specialties are a mix of science and art (really clinical experience). You wisely suggested in other posts that people should not make assertions without evidence. You friend's cynical or facetious opinion of his own profession is anecdotal and should be treated skeptically as a generalization.

Serious psychiatric illnesses are as potentially lethal as coronary artery disease. Suicide is one of the leading causes of death, especially in young people. Discouraging people from getting competent psychiatric treatment for those disorders makes no more sense than discouraging them from consulting a cardiologist or cardiovascular surgeon for coronary artery disease.

To return to the original topic of this thread: I don't think pipe smoking is a treatment for any serious problem but it is relaxing and that's nothing to sneeze at!
I can tell you from experience, I've been to seven psychiatrists and still haven't found a sane one.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
If someone is having a really difficult time, they should seek help. Depending on what the experience is, you also have to see the right therapist. People often go the wrong therapist for treatment. If it’s something from your past that was traumatizing, then they need to see a trauma therapist. Many people go to a regular therapist for these matters instead of a trauma and get the wrong help. Talking to people can really help fix things but it also takes a personal responsibility of wanting to change to get there. My mother has a lot of mental illness and as a child she took it out on me. I was going to go to school to become a therapist but decided to fix myself first. The pipe is not the fix, it’s just a means of facing your thoughts at times so you can look inward and help yourself. It takes tools to fix things in life and as long as you’re not harming yourself and others, use what tools you need to fix it. Enjoy the one chance you have at life brothers! Enjoy those little things and if you do get sad, tell someone and ask for help.
I agree with this sentiment. I had bad PTSD from being raised by a 3.5 toured Tank Commander Nam vet. My sister got into DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy) and I watched her change from someone who literally could not function in her 20s/30s into someone who is living the happiest years of her life in her 40s/50s I was so impressed I tried it myself and I must say I wish I did it 30 years ago when my anxiety began to get really bad. As well as relaxing hobbies like pipesmoking, physical activity, and diet are more important than a lot of people realize. Even just shooting hoops with the odd layup a couple 3 times a week is great, cutting out or cutting down on processed sugars stuff like that can really work wonders. I personally skateboard, play chess, write my silly songs, read/write, and obsess over pipes and tobacco (as well as smoke them) to relax.

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
I agree with this sentiment. I had bad PTSD from being raised by a 3.5 toured Tank Commander Nam vet. My sister got into DBT (Dialectical Behaviour Therapy) and I watched her change from someone who literally could not function in her 20s/30s into someone who is living the happiest years of her life in her 40s/50s I was so impressed I tried it myself and I must say I wish I did it 30 years ago when my anxiety began to get really bad. As well as relaxing hobbies like pipesmoking, physical activity, and diet are more important than a lot of people realize. Even just shooting hoops with the odd layup a couple 3 times a week is great, cutting out or cutting down on processed sugars stuff like that can really work wonders. I personally skateboard, play chess, write my silly songs, read/write, and obsess over pipes and tobacco (as well as smoke them) to relax.
That’s great to hear that you and your sister are doing well. My parents divorced when I was 4, that never really bothered me however, even with two different households I was never at peace. My mother is a vulnerable narcissist who was mentally abusive and my father wasn’t much of one. He never did anything with me and when he married his 3rd wife, who I loved very much, he would use me as an excuse every other weekend to go cheat on her. He’d say he was taking me out for the day, you know to spend time with me but, it was just disguise to go see them, being more than one woman over time. So from the age of 9-14 I had this in my life. I had horrible trust issues. I took two psychology classes in school and began studying psychology on my own for years. From 17 to today (43) I have made amazing leaps in my own mental health. I don’t blame or hate my parents, I don’t talk to my father and very little with my mother but I am happy in my life.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When I was younger, stress, depression, anxiety were all same. Go to a bar, have my fill, and I would be fine by the time the hangover was gone. Not sure where I've went wrong. Now much better with pills. But alcohol still does the same for me. I just don't liking being drunk. I think I associate drinking j with friends and happiness. If I think back, older Koreans were all like that. Hang with friends until the last one and they all died of liver failure.

Reactions: JOHN72

Historyguy311

Lurker
Jan 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
I suffer from job-related PTSD & Anxiety. Pipe smoking definitely helps my mood and reduces my anxiety level. I pick a pipe, pick a tobacco, and turn off TV’s and music then just relax with my smoke. I’ve always done way too much thinking for my own good, but when I’m smoking a pipe I can relax and do some thinking without getting upset. I’ve lost track of how many people (some psych professionals!) who’ve suggested I smoke another substance. My reply is always “No, I enjoy my tobaccos.” It’s a shame people laugh when pipe smokers say how relaxing pipe smoking can be and how the whole process simply teaches us to slow down and not be in a rush.

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I suffer from job-related PTSD & Anxiety. Pipe smoking definitely helps my mood and reduces my anxiety level. I pick a pipe, pick a tobacco, and turn off TV’s and music then just relax with my smoke. I’ve always done way too much thinking for my own good, but when I’m smoking a pipe I can relax and do some thinking without getting upset. I’ve lost track of how many people (some psych professionals!) who’ve suggested I smoke another substance. My reply is always “No, I enjoy my tobaccos.” It’s a shame people laugh when pipe smokers say how relaxing pipe smoking can be and how the whole process simply teaches us to slow down and not be in a rush.
You and me both sir. Good thing you're close enough to me in Ohio, we're going to have to get together sometime. Seems like we've both walked some of the same road.

Reactions: JOHN72

Historyguy311

Lurker
Jan 31, 2023
Northeast Ohio
😄 yes we probably have! Sure, I don’t have much going on these days.
You and me both sir. Good thing you're close enough to me in Ohio, we're going to have to get together sometime. Seems like we've both walked some of the same road.
Chilling right now & smoking some St. Bruno for the first time in my Peterson 104. This stuff is awesome!

Flopoz

Lurker
Feb 6, 2023
That’s great to hear that you and your sister are doing well. My parents divorced when I was 4, that never really bothered me however, even with two different households I was never at peace. My mother is a vulnerable narcissist who was mentally abusive and my father wasn’t much of one. He never did anything with me and when he married his 3rd wife, who I loved very much, he would use me as an excuse every other weekend to go cheat on her. He’d say he was taking me out for the day, you know to spend time with me but, it was just disguise to go see them, being more than one woman over time. So from the age of 9-14 I had this in my life. I had horrible trust issues. I took two psychology classes in school and began studying psychology on my own for years. I frequently seek the help of a therapist since it aids in my self-care. Recently, I learned of the possibility of seeing a therapist with video us.calmerry.com/video-chat-therapy/ , which I consider to be much more practical and convenient. I have no regrets regarding my health. From 17 to today (43) I have made amazing leaps in my own mental health. I don’t blame or hate my parents, I don’t talk to my father and very little with my mother but I am happy in my life.
It's cool that you made it so easy, I still haven't made it all the way there.

Reactions: Laurent

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
It's cool that you made it so easy, I still haven't made it all the way there.
There’s always work to be done. Everyday I try to become a better person and reset the wiring in my brain. The biggest thing is to be self aware and try to notice at the moment this thing you want to change. Forgiving my parents and realizing they have the issues that make them have bad behavior was the big step. I also realized because of their behavior I didn’t need that in my life anymore. You definitely have to pick what’s good and in bad for your life. When it comes to relationships, it’s either save them or save your soul, I chose my soul.

Lournery

Lurker
Jan 22, 2024
I think it's fantastic that you've found comfort and relaxation in pipe smoking. It's all about finding what works for you, and if it helps with your mood and anxiety, that's a win.

Reactions: Laurent and jpmcwjr

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
It boggles my mind the paraprofessionals in “counseling” or “psychology” (often MSWs) that are recommending other substance use!

Where is the research showing street drugs or something bought in a dispensary has any significant medical value and little potential harm?

Not to go too far afield but have had several friends go through the VA system, we should be encouraging pipe tobacco over harder psych meds or certainly other scheduled substances.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
It boggles my mind the paraprofessionals in “counseling” or “psychology” (often MSWs) that are recommending other substance use!

Where is the research showing street drugs or something bought in a dispensary has any significant medical value and little potential harm?

Not to go too far afield but have had several friends go through the VA system, we should be encouraging pipe tobacco over harder psych meds or certainly other scheduled substances.
Sorry, but medically, the psychotropic medications are proven with peer reviewed studies that show how effective they are in patients who need them. Nothing irritates me more than people not educated in medicine denying the science that has been proven to alleviate symptoms.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
Well, I survived this long due to a great triple by-pass and then the great efforts by the nursing staff to revive me when I flat-lined in the middle of the night. My smoking obviously contributed to the heart problems. Medical staff was almost soley responsible to my last two years and any future time I may enjoy.

But, I'm still waiting to see studies and methodology. I'm suspicious, by nature, with regard to unsupported claims. Not questioning the veracity of posted information, simply want to see the supporting material.
@warren here's a reference to the study

and a little more discussion at end of this page:

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
@warren here's a reference to the study

and a little more discussion at end of this page:
CDC
American Cancer Society
National Library of Medicine
National Cancer Institute

Sorry but our hobby is a vice and your link is not from a medical institution.

Reactions: Scottmi

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
CDC
American Cancer Society
National Library of Medicine
National Cancer Institute

Sorry but our hobby is a vice and your link is not from a medical institution.
Allow me to correct you: The link provided is from Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Volume 105, Issue 24, 18 December 2013. OK, it's ten years old, but it IS from a medical journal. Keep in mind that it is damned near impossible to get funded by a credible source for a study of smokers with a possible positive or even neutral outcome. A positive finding is an absolute career-killer for cancer researchers.

Last edited: