Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Allow me to correct you: The link provided is from Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Volume 105, Issue 24, 18 December 2013. OK, it's ten years old, but it IS from a medical journal. Keep in mind that it is damned near impossible to get funded by a credible source for a study of smokers with a possible positive or even neutral outcome. A positive finding is a career-killer for cancer researchers.
The quoted post referef to a Forbes article based on that journal. There have been plenty of research studies that prove a link. I have linked them above.

Scottmi

Lifer
Oct 15, 2022
Orcas, WA
CDC
American Cancer Society
National Library of Medicine
National Cancer Institute

Sorry but our hobby is a vice and your link is not from a medical institution.
Granted, and agree is a 'vice.'
and oops, posted wrong link (2nd hand smoke not what I meant to link).

Item 7 here refers to the 3 years longer lifespan:
Reducing Risks - Seattle Pipe Club - https://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=17020
citing a US Surgeon General Report. Valid?

"Trust the Science" lost a lot of trust in the last couple years.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Granted, and agree is a 'vice.'
and oops, posted wrong link (2nd hand smoke not what I meant to link).

Item 7 here refers to the 3 years longer lifespan:
Reducing Risks - Seattle Pipe Club - https://www.seattlepipeclub.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=969877&module_id=17020
citing a US Surgeon General Report. Valid?

"Trust the Science" lost a lot of trust in the last couple years.
Dr. Henri Gaboriau is a great source as an Otolaryngologist. I thought you were referring to secondhand smoking, which does cause cancers.
I'm a trauma surgeon and pipe smokers have clearer lungs that most people who have had pneumonia (bacterial). That I know from experience doing thoracotomies. Funny side note: I've found more than one pipe in the anal cavity.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Dr. Henri Gaboriau is a great source as an Otolaryngologist. I thought you were referring to secondhand smoking, which does cause cancers.
I'm a trauma surgeon and pipe smokers have clearer lungs that most people who have had pneumonia (bacterial). That I know from experience doing thoracotomies. Funny side note: I've found more than one pipe in the anal cavity.

Doc! What happened to doctor/patient confidentiality! I told you I slipped and fell on it!

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Sorry, but medically, the psychotropic medications are proven with peer reviewed studies that show how effective they are in patients who need them. Nothing irritates me more than people not educated in medicine denying the science that has been proven to alleviate symptoms.
I respect the fact that you are a surgeon, but I just can’t take anyone seriously that encourages recreational drug use as I have heard some “professionals” recommend to veterans groups.

I’ve read the studies and know that science isn’t always pure. What specifically are you recommending?

Reactions: DrBryant

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
The quoted post referef to a Forbes article based on that journal. There have been plenty of research studies that prove a link. I have linked them above.
If you followed the link I provided, you would have seen that I was referencing the original journal article, not the Forbes react piece.

Reactions: DrBryant

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I suffer from job-related PTSD & Anxiety. Pipe smoking definitely helps my mood and reduces my anxiety level. I pick a pipe, pick a tobacco, and turn off TV’s and music then just relax with my smoke. I’ve always done way too much thinking for my own good, but when I’m smoking a pipe I can relax and do some thinking without getting upset. I’ve lost track of how many people (some psych professionals!) who’ve suggested I smoke another substance. My reply is always “No, I enjoy my tobaccos.” It’s a shame people laugh when pipe smokers say how relaxing pipe smoking can be and how the whole process simply teaches us to slow down and not be in a rush.
I often say to people that pipe smoking is both more pleasurable and relaxing then it frankly has any right to be. I also think about the Zen Tea Ceremony when I think about pipes. Practioners always say it's not the tea it's the ceremonial act of slowing down and really taking something in. I disagree it's the tea (the sytle of tea they use matcha has higher levels of l-theanine then other teas, and that amino acid helps people calm down caffeine helps people focus, nicotine does both of those things. And in both pipe smoking and the tea ceremony both the chemical aid and the slowing down and focusing on a simple task is what I think contributes to the over all effect and isn't one or the other but a multiplication of everything involved.
And I have to admit my first thought from historyguy having work related PTSD is yeah some shocking things have happened through out human history. It's wonderful though that anything can help.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
If this were a meerschaum coloring thread there'd be no chance. But since this is merely a debate about mental health, getting pipes stuck in your ass, and whether or not pipe smoking is a vice, we might be ok. Again, no guarantees. puffy
I've also removed shampoo bottles and light bulbs. The latter I don't know how they got it up there without breaking it.

• Wow
Reactions: OzPiper

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
No, it is not. I just tested it. It works.
Please go back to my post and try it again.
It was broken.

“We don’t want people to conclude that passive smoking has no effect on lung cancer,” she said. “We think the message is, this analysis doesn’t tell us what the risk is, or even if there is a risk.”

This is not conclusive in the least. My links that I previously posted are not only the standard in care, but also not out of date. This study included only women and the study cannot find a genetic link to the affects of secondhand smoke. Make sure you have the most recent information before you pick one that fits your narrative.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It was broken.

“We don’t want people to conclude that passive smoking has no effect on lung cancer,” she said. “We think the message is, this analysis doesn’t tell us what the risk is, or even if there is a risk.”

This is not conclusive in the least. My links that I previously posted are not only the standard in care, but also not out of date. This study included only women and the study cannot find a genetic link to the affects of secondhand smoke. Make sure you have the most recent information before you pick one that fits your narrative.

I wasn't picking anything that fits "my narrative". I don't have a "narrative", or a dog in your fight. I was simply highlighting the fact you missed the link to the study that someone else posted, that you said was "not from a medical institution", which it is. I also previously noted (and you also failed to notice) that the study was ten years old.

You seem to browse instead of actually reading. That's can't be good news for your patients.

King Bulldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
I wasn't picking anything that fits "my narrative". I don't have a "narrative", or a dog in your fight. I was simply highlighting the fact you missed the link to the study that someone else posted, that you said was "not from a medical institution", which it is. I also previously noted (and you also failed to notice) that the study was ten years old.

You seem to browse instead of actually reading. That's can't be good news for your patients.
I noticed it was 10 years old even from the Forbes article. I've read all the studies I've posted, yet you failed to realize that my links discredit said study. Don't infer anything about my patients. Good day sir.