PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Furandfeather,
That's a really nice collection of bulldogs and rhodesians. I'm curious to know which is your favorite.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Very nice Furandfeather,

It seems a goodly portion of us possess a Peterson System Standard 307.

I suppose it's one of the classic styles that will endure.

Again, nice collection.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Here are 3 of my Bjorne's, some jerk, and a can of tobacco. Sorry for the crappy photos.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/dunendain/album/picture

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great looking pipes Mick. Don't know anything about Peterson's system. I would think that only "juicy" smokers need it. I don't have any major problems with excess moisture.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
dune, they work well if you are a wet smoker and worth a try though they aren't perfect. I like Petersens more for their history and style than I do for their "system."

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I am a wet smoker, that is why I use 9mm filters. The filters are getting expensive.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The 9mm isn't supposed to be absorbing moisture. Its supposed to be absorbing nicotine. No wonder they are getting expensive! Take a look at this video on Petersens from Cup o Joes
Petersen

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Dunendain asked: "Can someone tell me how well the Peterson System works?"

I can say that the system definitely catches a lot of moisture.

That is why I'm not altogether thrilled with mine.

It does smoke very well.

It is great for one possibly two smokes before it has to be thoroughly cleaned and then rested for days.

It is the only pipe I have ever had to go sour on me, and it happens fast.

I'm probably in the minority with my assessment. I do like the pipe, but it (for me) wasn't worth the money.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Just a little curious about the "wet smoker" thing...

Is your environment cursed with high relative humidity? (Like > 50%)

Or do you attribute the wet smoke to overly moist tobacco; or perhaps aromatic tobacco?

Or, not meaning to phrase this in an odious way, do you think it's a saliva control issue?

Or further, a question of pipe mechanics, like a stinger or condenser? This last point makes me think that the filter might be causing the condensation. Perhaps without it an occasional gurgle could be remedied by a quick plunge of the pipe cleaner.

What are your thoughts and or experiences.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I think it is a question of how much one salivates. Some blends cause me to salivate more. The same as some foods do also. Maybe I was popular with the ladies because of this :) Insert joke.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Seriously, I read that using product such as Biotene, which promote salivation, is product which promote oral health is a good product for pipe and cigar smokers, and have been using it for years.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
hauntedmyst - dune, they work well if you are a wet smoker and worth a try though they aren't perfect. I like Petersens more for their history and style than I do for their "system."
Same here.
I have two Petersons - a black system 306 and a Shannon Oom Paul.
I like them both, but I am on the fence on the benefits of the system.
It's a cool invention, but I still occasionally get a gurgle, but no more or less than with "regular" pipes. It is a pain in the ass to get a pipe cleaner all the way in. You have to angle it correctly by tilting the end more upwards than you usually would. And you have to take the stem off.
I also wonder what collects in there that you can't get out.
You can see a piece on Peterson here along with along with another video:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-manufacturer-retailer-spotlight/peterson-of-dublin/

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
Hauntedmyst, I have used 9mm charcoal filters since 05, and I can't tell that they absorb any nicotine. I smoke blends with and without the filters. I can't tell the difference in taste or strength. It's one of those things, that you don't know until you try.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
This is a decent video for anyone considering a filter pipe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XNl22gMM4w

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
In this video Flieger makes some good observations. Nothing here to change my opinion about the pipe filter's PITA factor; but none-the-less useful to know. Thanks for the post.
As to a wet smoke being related to salivation, I have a hard time accepting that. I imagine it would be difficult to accumulate a significant amount of moisture even by forcing the saliva in, let alone doing it unintentionally. That's why I suggested, IMHO, more likely causes: room RH, tobacco moisture, and smoking cadence. Warm air holds more moisture than does cold, and condensation results from a cooling smoke stream. (I think this is, in part, the rationale behind the Savinelli system.)
Well, the only way to verify any of this is by empirical observation. Since you've presumably smoked unfiltered pipes and found them wanting, I don't exactly know what to do with your opinion now that I have it! LOL

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
AROS make me slobber and gurgle .I seem to have less trouble with bigger bent stem pipes with thick bowls . Never smoked a Peterson or for that matter any filter pipes .Now down here on the gulf coast 90% humidity is not uncommen in the summer so I will have to get back to you on that matter .I tell you that last summer I was unable to make cigarettes for about two weeks because of the humidity levels the tobacco would not inject properly .

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I would like to add my 2cents in here. I don't think the gurgle in a pipe has that much to do with your saliva.

I have pipes that I consider wet smokers and others that smoke dry. What I consider a dry smoking pipe might take 1/2 to 1 pipe cleaner per bowl. A wet smoker takes from 4 to 6 pipe cleaners per bowl. In other words, about every 5 min.

To me that takes the pleasure away from smoking.

I think it has a lot to do with the type of tobacco, the way someone puffs, as well as the inner dimensions of a pipe.

Heat does more to form condensation inside the pipe than anything else. If your pipe isn't exact in it's inner dimensions, moisture just forms on every little edge and angle.

If you're a puffer instead of a sipper, that too will cause a lot of unecessary heat, which creates moisture.

And the type of tobacco also plays it's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.