Here's the latest pipe I have my eye on:

Picture1.png

A Chacom Volcano, unsmoked.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Vitor,

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! Very nice pipe, and a huge chunk of wood! I am totally unfamiliar with the Martinique name, and I am by no means a Preben Holm expert, but my guess is that it would have to be from Holm's "Pipe-Lon period." In any event one of the famous "Danish Ben Wades."

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
What I especially like about that rack is the room provided for wide pipe bowls. Most racks space the pipes too closely.
I've got a couple Abbey pipe racks and each are built for 6. If I want to keep 6 on them, I have to place them strategically or else reaching for one bowl will pull another one off the rack.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Here is a few of mine until I can load up the rest. I have not purchased all of these but have been lucky enough to get some past down. There are a couple of those comoy pipes as well.

http://s859.photobucket.com/albums/ab152/surfmac211/

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Nice pipes Pstlpkr.
Here are some of my pipes. I still haven't got photos of all of them taken and put up yet.
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/python/album/picture

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I love looking at peoples pipe collections. It gives me new ideas and thoughts of pipes i would like to purchase that i would have never thought or given the time of day.

jcosmoasp

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2010
Sacramento, CA
cortezattic: Here's the stem and shank detail from the Ben Wade #100 Freehand:

DSCN1724.jpg

DSCN1727.jpg

It cost me $100.00 in an ebay "best offer" auction. No matter what it may be worth, I can't imagine ever parting with it.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mine is a Ben Wade Calabash St. Claude and doesn't have a screw fitting.

It is a little old. I bought it in 1972, my second pipe.

It was cold that year and this one fits the palms beautifully.

It's my hand warmer, as opposed to a nose warmer.

It measures 7 inches from the very front to the end of the bit. (kind'a diagonal line)

But only 6 inches in length when measured straight across.

The bowl is 3/4 of an inch across and 2-3/8 inches deep.

The draft hole has been drilled on a curve. The stem's curve isn't as severe as the draft drilling. I don't know how they did that.

But it's a great pipe, and it can take a filter.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
It's my hand warmer, as opposed to a nose warmer.
I can definitely imagine that.
I don't recall which site I saw them on, but all the ones I did see looked really sharp. Good to hear a couple endorsements about the brand and possibly a future pipe.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Thanks Dudley, and Dune,

Back in 72 I think I paid about $50 for it.

I'm not to big on name brands,(cept. my Cavicchi's).

I just buy what I like.

Thanks again guys

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Here's a picture of my IMP Freehand. The picture is from June of '06 right before I smoked the first bowl. It was so white it almost lit up the room but it looks much different now!
The bowl is about 2 inches deep and an inch across. If I fill it all the way, it's with a milder tobacco like Sam Gawith's Best Brown Flake. If it's not a mild blend, I have to do the DGT thing. Even 1/2 way full, it smokes forever.
IMPFreehand.jpg

It fits the hand perfectly and has a nice open draft. Brand new, the bowl didn't seem to weigh much more than the stem and is still very light.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
jcosmoasp,

HolmPipe.jpg
You might want to take that pipe to one of the shows and have it evaluated. It's definitely a Preben Holm bowl, but I've never seen that mortise insert on a Danish freehand. My cockamamie guess is that a previous owner, for some reason, had it adapted to a p-lip stem. I don't think anybody but Peterson uses the p-lip, but maybe a knowledgable reader can help. If Holm did do the mortise work the pipe could be very valuable; if the pipe was modified, well, I hope it's a good smoker. At any rate, beautiful wood, and probably worth at least what you paid for it. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.