PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
I would happily limit myself to one blend. I have before and will again. It's not an issue for me.

I smoke because I can and I find it enjoyable and relaxing. I don't have to work at it. I have a mild blend that burns neither hot nor leaves a ghost. There are more tasty blends than the one I smoke, but they aren't always available. I have a backup favorite. - it is a bit like a watered down Baptist, but even more so than a Presbyterian. More like an Episcopalian. It's called Black Maria by John Dengler. If she were a woman, she'd make good pies, decent meals, and the house would be cleaned on most every day. The sex would be just fine.

Anyway, chasing tail or being habitually dissatisfied with both myself and life is something I gave up a long time ago.

I am not a pipe smoker. I am someone who smokes a pipe.
Just curious if there’s a commercial blend you’d compare with Black Maria. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m going to grab an ounce next time I’m in there.

Reactions: ChippewaAce

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Just curious if there’s a commercial blend you’d compare with Black Maria. I haven’t tried it yet but I’m going to grab an ounce next time I’m in there.
No, there really is nothing like it. it is a delightfully mild blend - that is English and very civilized. It was designed so that it has a pleasant aroma. It has a bit of Latakia and Perique, I believe about 1:16 each. It certainly is reminiscent of older blends such as Crystal Palace. It is a blend that will not offend. That, is certain.

telescopes

Black Maria is one of the Great John Dengler Blends. Black Maria comprises Virginia, Latakia, Perique, Burley and unsweeten Cavendish. Since the passing of John, his son-in-law, Larry, has continued the business. In terms of changes to the blends, I suspect there have been some minor ones, but overall, the blends maintain their loyal local following.

I have stocked up on this blend enough to keep me in business for a long time to come. I try not to advertise for Larry, but clearly, any pipe smoker worth their salt can google John Dengler Tobacconist and find the website.

John was the real thing - a man from another age and time. Anyone who had the pleasure to meet him once remembered him always. He wasn't a myth - he was a legend.

Black Maria, as well as some of his other proprietary blends such as Hayden and Cameron's Blend continue to maintain loyal followers long after his passing. Not all of the blends were his own making that are sold at the shop, but Larry can steer you toward the ones that are.

I speak of Black Maria from time to time because for an English Blend, it really is something different. I suppose it's gentleness and lack of offense is what brings me back to it from time to time.

My own blend, Telescopes, is really a mixture of two well known blends from two top makers. At one time, it was quite a complicated mess for John to make, but we eventually removed MANY of the individual components and settled on what it is today. Truth be told, I do miss the original formula, but sadly, so many of those components are not available to the tobacconist today. Yes, I have made some compromises.

If you have any questions about Black Maria, @LotusEater has smoked some that I sent him. In a few of his posts on What Are You Smoking, he has spoken favorably of it.

As I said, it won't send you into space. But, it just might help you enjoy your day a bit better by allowing you to relax, enjoy a pleasant blend of tobacco, and cheer all those who walk by and smell the aroma of an old friend's pipe.

By the way @jwesthurl, I see you are from Saint Louis. Count yourself fortunate to be so close to on of the last great tobacco stores in the world.

jwesthurl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 27, 2022
St. Louis
Black Maria is one of the Great John Dengler Blends. Black Maria comprises Virginia, Latakia, Perique, Burley and unsweeten Cavendish. Since the passing of John, his son-in-law, Larry, has continued the business. In terms of changes to the blends, I suspect there have been some minor ones, but overall, the blends maintain their loyal local following.

I have stocked up on this blend enough to keep me in business for a long time to come. I try not to advertise for Larry, but clearly, any pipe smoker worth their salt can google John Dengler Tobacconist and find the website.

John was the real thing - a man from another age and time. Anyone who had the pleasure to meet him once remembered him always. He wasn't a myth - he was a legend.

Black Maria, as well as some of his other proprietary blends such as Hayden and Cameron's Blend continue to maintain loyal followers long after his passing. Not all of the blends were his own making that are sold at the shop, but Larry can steer you toward the ones that are.

I speak of Black Maria from time to time because for an English Blend, it really is something different. I suppose it's gentleness and lack of offense is what brings me back to it from time to time.

My own blend, Telescopes, is really a mixture of two well known blends from two top makers. At one time, it was quite a complicated mess for John to make, but we eventually removed MANY of the individual components and settled on what it is today. Truth be told, I do miss the original formula, but sadly, so many of those components are not available to the tobacconist today. Yes, I have made some compromises.

If you have any questions about Black Maria, @LotusEater has smoked some that I sent him. In a few of his posts on What Are You Smoking, he has spoken favorably of it.

As I said, it won't send you into space. But, it just might help you enjoy your day a bit better by allowing you to relax, enjoy a pleasant blend of tobacco, and cheer all those who walk by and smell the aroma of an old friend's pipe.

By the way @jwesthurl, I see you are from Saint Louis. Count yourself fortunate to be so close to on of the last great tobacco stores in the world.
Yes sir, I do consider myself lucky, I’m only 15 minutes away and I bought my first pipe and tobacco from Larry! I’ve tried many of their blends but I somehow haven’t picked up Black Maria yet.

jlopez

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2022
Southwest TX
I am still learning and experimenting, being relatively new to pipe smoking. At the moment, I have really been enjoying Peterson Nightcap and Plum Cake Bourbon Barrel Aged.

Having to choose between those two, I would pick the Plum Cake Bourbon.

telescopes

Like @Grangerous I am a mostly one blend smoker. I have been trying for years to find blends I like and I just can't get over them. Every year I'll try maybe one or two new blends, and usually hate them. Always go back to my favorite blend. I'd mention the name but wouldn't want to bore you. Lol everyone's heard it before.
Prince Albert?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Like @Grangerous I am a mostly one blend smoker. I have been trying for years to find blends I like and I just can't get over them. Every year I'll try maybe one or two new blends, and usually hate them. Always go back to my favorite blend. I'd mention the name but wouldn't want to bore you. Lol everyone's heard it before.

I’m often disappointed, rather than hate. I’m enjoying some Granger now after somewhat enjoying a Peterson Aran of Haunted Bookshop.

I get it totally. I can enjoy the HB and then…. Wow! is Granger ten times tastier!

Cult Blood Red Moon repulsed me. Had to see what the hype was about, gave it to a friend. He was on the phone last night raving about it. Lol. Yeah, hated that one.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I get the idea to have posts like this, fun to see the replies, but I don’t think this way.

Sorry not trying to be a stick in the mud and not play, but I just live one day at a time, and we all know life isn’t heading anytime soon to tabac genocide, where we are left one day with just one blend.

So to be honest, trying to come up with something actually seems quite depressing as hell, to think, if the industry was wiped out, and we are all stuck smoking SWR the rest of our life! LOL ?

Variety is the spice of life, and I bloody want to have a hello of a lot of different blends to smoke.

Oh my gosh, chicken everyday, and I don’t even like chicken! LMAO ?

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Aren't we all kind of in search of "the blend"?
I mean, I wouldn't give up on dark fired ky blends or Va/pers or codger burleys or straight va's... but I mostly smoke english, or american-english blends, and only occassionally (1 out of every 10 bowls) smoke something else just to shake it up. Pretty much I'm a latakiaphile for nearly 15 yrs now. Most of what I smoke needs at least a touch of latakia in it. So I know what I like, mostly... it's that little bit I dont know that keeps me buying and trying. Not that I think I'll ever find perfection, the ONE; but I'll never stop searching.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
...but to play along I'd currently say: SPC's Plum Pudding -Special Reserve. Or Sutliff Private Stock's Bosphorus Cruise. Or PS 17 English Luxury. Or the Mortons. Or C&D's Professor. Or..... nevermind, this is stupid. I won't do it, and ya can't make me.

Status
Not open for further replies.