PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Hello all! Been searching the forum and have found answers to this question here and there, but not (from what I could find) in a thread dedicated to it.

For a few different reasons, I'm waning my pipe tobacco down to one blend. I'm currently in the process of determining what that blend will be. I don't have the most discerning palette in the world, most blends please me unless they're too dry. I'm personally looking for something of deep quality, without a lot of added chemicals or flavoring. I do love me some flake tobacco as well.

I'm curious while I'm in my search, if you had to pick ONE blend to rule them all, to smoke for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
A dedicated one-blend smoker is a rare bird indeed. I’m of that genre.

I sample other blends but when I return to Granger, it solidifies my love of this simple blend.

But it seems you are enamored with the “idea” of smoking only one blend and I have to agree with others whom have asked, why?

Granger clicks with me to the point where I have to be in the mood to reach for something else but I didn’t plan it this way.

Yes, I’ve discovered a few blends that would keep me happily smoking if Granger was no longer available, but It wouldn’t be the same.

I’m definitely in the minority on this forum.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
Intriguing question! I haven't explored enough tobacco's to quite be content with only one, but I have given thoughts to limiting myself to one or so in each major category.

Anyways, if I had to choose right now, I think it would have to be either Hunting Creek. It is the one I always gravitate towards lately, a wonderful english-aro

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Though I am a non smoker, and therefore have no experience. I sort of understand the mindset of finding "the one".
In my "virtual" research I was looking at reviews of Capstan blue and Peterson Flake and thinking that if I was a smoker that one of them would be what I would choose.
But if I did try smoking I might hate them. So my opinion is technically of no value whatsoever.

Currently struggling with fountain pen acquisition disorder. I think my "one" is the Jinhao X750. I have three of them.

Though I am a non smoker, and therefore have no experience. I sort of understand the mindset of finding "the one".
In my "virtual" research I was looking at reviews of Capstan blue and Peterson Flake and thinking that if I was a smoker that one of them would be what I would choose.
But if I did try smoking I might hate them. So my opinion is technically of no value whatsoever.

Currently struggling with fountain pen acquisition disorder. I think my "one" is the Jinhao X750. I have three of them.
This has to be the most intriguing post on this forum that I've ever seen. You don't smoke? Do you just collect pipes as Object d'Art, or do you plan to start smoking?

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
This has to be the most intriguing post on this forum that I've ever seen. You don't smoke? Do you just collect pipes as Object d'Art, or do you plan to start smoking?
No plans to start. Just curious. I just like finding out about stuff. I have no pipes or any smoking paraphernalia. Unless you count a box of matches.
i feel something of an imposter lurking on this site, but its quite interesting being here.

No plans to start. Just curious. I just like finding out about stuff. I have no pipes or any smoking paraphernalia. Unless you count a box of matches.
i feel something of an imposter lurking on this site, but its quite interesting being here.
I think that you should at least buy a pipe, but it is merely a suggestion. We have had pipe collectors that don't smoke on here, and I met a young kid at a pipe shop once who was accompanied by his parents because he collected pipes as mere objects, but he also obviously on spectrum.

Interesting. I'm not sure I would be comfortable here as a non-smoker. Anyways, I was very curious...

We have multiple versions of this question posted regularly... If you could only smoke one blend... your deserted island blend... etc... my response is always the same. If I was restricted to just one blend, I'd quit. I'm here to taste and explore variety. I was a one brand cigarette smoker for decades, and I have no interested in doing that again. But, I could see if someone found a blend and just fell in love with it... but, even that is sort of weird to me, ha ha.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin

Flatfish, you crack me up! When you first showed up as a non-smoker with an abstract and theoretical curiosity about pipe smoking, I thought for sure that one of two things would happen: [1] Within two weeks you'd be telling us that you bought a pipe and were learning to smoke it, or [2] within two weeks you'd be gone.

But here you are, still actively participating on a pipe smoking forum -- even going so far as to study online reviews of tobaccos in order to form an opinion about which one might be your favorite (if you were a pipe smoker) (!) -- yet without smoking a pipe!

Don't get me wrong, you are more than welcome -- we're thrilled that you're here!

I grew up in an ardently anti-smoking household. I told my dad that I'd never smoke... but that IF I did, it would be a pipe. Well, here we are.
Often, desire is precursor to belief, and interest is precursor to practice. I still predict that you'll wind up a pipe smoker, one of these days ;-)

Oh, and, I recently got my second Jinhao X750. I traded out the converters in both of them to much better standard international converters, and traded out both nibs to JoWo #6s.
Great pen, especially with these mods. My only complaint is that I wish it were a screw cap.

Oh, to answer to OP, maybe HH Pure Virginia.

Status
Not open for further replies.