PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In the U.S. right now, and in much of the industrialized world (if that's what we still call it) there are probably more blends in more genres available than ever before. In the U.S., many of these are affordable to most people. That being the case, limiting yourself to one blend, unless that is just your style, seems arbitrary. We may get to that place, but right now, variety is part of the pleasure, so I rise to the moment. Even the absolute top of the pyramid blends I wouldn't want to smoke daily given the options available.

rorrer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 2, 2014
Lockhart, Texas USA
For me it would probably be between Plum Pudding and Westminster. Those are kinda my go-to blends, but I do stray over into aromatics a couple times a week, especially if I'm smoking around other folks. If it were still available (for a reasonable price), Penzance would surely be in the running.

I sincerely hope I never have to narrow it down to one.

C.Rorrer

Red Leader

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2022
Colorado
Would never willingly limit my options, but if i HAD TO, would be Sutliff Vanilla Custard. It is my go to, and the wife loves the room note and the smell in my beard. Burns really well. There you go.

Gotta say, I love this tobacco as well. I don't have nearly the breadth of experience that others on here have, but my word what a lovely smoke it is - easy burning, cool, lovely taste and smell. First time I tried it was through one of my 4-digit 4 hole Kaywoodies, and it was a surreal experience. I find myself often reaching for it.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Hello all! Been searching the forum and have found answers to this question here and there, but not (from what I could find) in a thread dedicated to it.

For a few different reasons, I'm waning my pipe tobacco down to one blend. I'm currently in the process of determining what that blend will be. I don't have the most discerning palette in the world, most blends please me unless they're too dry. I'm personally looking for something of deep quality, without a lot of added chemicals or flavoring. I do love me some flake tobacco as well.

I'm curious while I'm in my search, if you had to pick ONE blend to rule them all, to smoke for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
I have dozens of different blends, and enjoy them all.

But most of all I enjoy Smoker’s Pride Cherry Cavendish the most often.

Reactions: ChippewaAce
Apr 16, 2022
Mckee Kentucky
Hello all! Been searching the forum and have found answers to this question here and there, but not (from what I could find) in a thread dedicated to it.

For a few different reasons, I'm waning my pipe tobacco down to one blend. I'm currently in the process of determining what that blend will be. I don't have the most discerning palette in the world, most blends please me unless they're too dry. I'm personally looking for something of deep quality, without a lot of added chemicals or flavoring. I do love me some flake tobacco as well.

I'm curious while I'm in my search, if you had to pick ONE blend to rule them all, to smoke for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
If I was picking this week it probably would be Key Largo. It’s good.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
The exception to this is a blend I found last May named The Untouchables (made by DTM, HU and Michael Apitz), an aromatic with Cedar and floral notes. I bought two to start and five more a couple of months later. I'm down to two tins. If I had an unlimited supply, I could make it my only blend.
After posting the above on March 8, I ordered 8 more tins of The Untouchables for myself and two tins for a fellow member of the New Orleans Pipe Club.

Mar 1, 2014
...if you had to pick ONE blend to rule them all, to smoke for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
I think the blend that impressed me most and I know I would enjoy smoking in perpetuity would be a mix of Gawith Hoggarth Kendal Kentucky and Sutliff 515 RC-1 Red VA, with Perique.

That or if we could get Cornell & Deihl to make a Shag Cut version of Star of the East, but for now my official answer is a home blend of ingredients and not anything you can buy off the shelf.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Most folk have a favorite blend at any one time, but few would ever limit themselves to just one blend, ever. Some just can't name a single blend when asked to; hence lists!

So, unless someone has something brilliant to add, I'll close this in a day or two. Soon there'll be another way of asking the same question, in any event.

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Most folk have a favorite blend at any one time, but few would ever limit themselves to just one blend, ever. Some just can't name a single blend when asked to; hence lists!

So, unless someone has something brilliant to add, I'll close this in a day or two. Soon there'll be another way of asking the same question, in any event.

Fair enough! I appreciate the time everybody has taken to discuss and help give me some insight on what I'm setting out to do. You folks are the best!

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Why would anyone who enjoys different blends and genres, willingly deprive oneself by limiting to just one blend?
Tobacco blends are hard to find in a local Aussie 'tobacconist' [cigarette shop] and it's outrageously expensive.
So I'm forced to run the gauntlet by ordering from the U.S.

The main thing that I keep in mind when ordering is to ensure that I've got a variety of genres from which to choose.
Not only because I like variety but because tastes change. I go through stages where I smoke non-aro's more than aromatics and at other times vice versa.

Those who live in America [or able to import without hassle] really don't know how fortunate you are.
A 50g tin is $125 [$92usd] here in Nanny State Australia.
If I had free access to U.S. prices I'd have a heap of various blends.

Variety is the spice of life.
Enjoy while you're able.
Take up self flagellation instead if you feel the need to punish yourself. :ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.