PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hovannes

Can't Leave
Dec 28, 2021
Fresno, CA
I’m surprised by the lack of one blend smokers.
One blend smokers used to be more common.
Our automobile mechanic was a Half and Half smoker
Our doctor smoked Edward G Robinson
Our travel agent smoked Heine's Blend
My dad smoked Amphora (after Orange Blossom was discontinued)
One of my professors in college smoked Borkum Riff

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
When you think of cigarette smokers, they tend to be one blend smokers. Most people who drink beer have a perennial favorite that is there go to beer. People who eat eggs tend to eat them the same way and even buy the same brand over and over. Why is it expected that this doesn’t apply to pipe smokers. I would argue that in the past this rule or pattern of behavior did apply.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
When you think of cigarette smokers, they tend to be one blend smokers. Most people who drink beer have a perennial favorite that is there go to beer. People who eat eggs tend to eat them the same way and even buy the same brand over and over. Why is it expected that this doesn’t apply to pipe smokers. I would argue that in the past this rule or pattern of behavior did apply.
I think it lends itself to the “hobby” argument.
Then again, maybe it’s a personality thing.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I think it lends itself to the “hobby” argument.
Then again, maybe it’s a personality thing.
I think there is something else going on here. Personally, I believe it is the share abundance of tobaccos we have access to via the internet. Also, the websites are designed to allow other smokers to share their experiences. What we have here is the perfect storm for men.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Cigarettes - pretty much, yes, one brand.
Beer - Hell no.
Eggs - Hell no 2.

50 years ago I smoked several different types of tobacco, then, for a long on time, I smoked only one or two. Now I have dozens, thanks in no small part to forums like this.

50 years ago we didn't have nearly 7,000 different commercial blends, probably more like a a couple of hundred, and we were happy with that. On the other hand, Dunhill made their tobacco blends, Balkan Sobranie was made by Sobranie Ltd., Imperial made St Bruno, WD & HO Wills made Capstan as part of Imperial, Rattray's made Rattray's, McConnell made its blends, etc, etc. Now all of these brands are owned by a few conglomerates and the blends are less individual than they once were.

But we still have thousands of blends.

It's a sickness, I tell you.

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Hello all! Been searching the forum and have found answers to this question here and there, but not (from what I could find) in a thread dedicated to it.

For a few different reasons, I'm waning my pipe tobacco down to one blend. I'm currently in the process of determining what that blend will be. I don't have the most discerning palette in the world, most blends please me unless they're too dry. I'm personally looking for something of deep quality, without a lot of added chemicals or flavoring. I do love me some flake tobacco as well.

I'm curious while I'm in my search, if you had to pick ONE blend to rule them all, to smoke for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Peretti Thanksgiving for me no question.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello all! Been searching the forum and have found answers to this question here and there, but not (from what I could find) in a thread dedicated to it.

For a few different reasons, I'm waning my pipe tobacco down to one blend.
Can you name a few?
I'm curious while I'm in my search, if you had to pick ONE blend to rule them all, to smoke for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?
Well, I wouldn't; it would guarantee that blend would be discontinued!

Davy Jones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2022
7 Seas
Can you name a few?

Ha ha ha, indeed!
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky is my all-time favorite, which I discovered around 2018. I realized, after going through 5 or 6 tins that I would have been happy to just smoke that one. So I started stashing up and made it to 25 tins or so in my cellar. Of course, I bought other brands as well so it was a work in progress.
Then, bam! After being reintroduced around 2014 (it had been discontinued around '07 when it came in the 100g tin format), it's been discontinued again last year.
Sucks to be me.

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
If I could set the clock back to the 1960s-1970s, it would be the original Balkan Sobranie....but since I can't, my current favorite is Quiet Nights.
I still like the odd bowl of Half and Half, Carter Hall and Mixture No. 79, for nostalgia's sake.

ChippewaAce

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2021
Tennessee
Can you name a few?

You bet! As I said in my previous response (page 3 of this thread I think):

"My personal reasoning is fairly simple, as I first stated, my palette is not nearly as refined as many of yours, and though I've been a pipe smoker for 15+ years now, I can honestly say I've enjoyed 99% of the bowls I've smoked and not noticed a world of difference in many of them. I've probably tried over 50 varieties in that time (which is a lot for me).

That being said, it's more the ritual and relaxation aspect at the end of a long day or a lazy Sunday afternoon on the porch that makes it enjoyable for me, not having multiple flavor options, though I certainly appreciate that point of view as well!

I've recently made a lot of choices to simplify my life. Clothes, relationships, etc. Condensing and trimming the fat if you will, to ensure my personal circle stays healthy and joyful. I'm merely extending that notion to my pipes and tobacco. I've gotten it down to 6 pipes that I adore and plan on finding that one (maybe two) blends that I can buy and just smoke the daylights out of."

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I always answer either Condor Plug or St. Bruno RR but I choose variety so I don’t burn myself out of any on blend. I almost got a St. Bruno burnout so I took a year off from smoking it. I just opened a pouch about a week ago, my love for it has been renewed.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri

For a few different reasons, I'm waning my pipe tobacco down to one blend. I'm currently in the process of determining what that blend will be. I don't have the most discerning palette in the world, most blends please me unless they're too dry. I'm personally looking for something of deep quality, without a lot of added chemicals or flavoring. I do love me some flake tobacco as well.

I have dozens of blends, but my favorite is still the first one I bought for 25 cents fifty years ago, Half and Half.

The aroma of Half and Half is divine. it’s smooth, zesty, and full of tobacco flavors. Plus it’s still as available as any over the counter brand is today.

If you had to order a tobacco by the ounce or pound, or pound and a half box, then my pick would be PS Luxury Navy Flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.