PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donb1972

Can't Leave
Feb 9, 2022
Erie, PA
I limit myself to 3 blends: Crooner in the morning, Mixture 79 for the rest of the day, and Visions of Celephais in the evening.

I do sample blends from time to time. I'm smoking St Bruno right now, in fact. But my three mainstays never change.

If someone told me they'd give me a lifetime supply of one tobacco, on condition that I only smoke that tobacco ~ I would probably pick Visions. It's full, complex, voluptuous...with a room note that can't be beat.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
I think that you should at least buy a pipe, but it is merely a suggestion. We have had pipe collectors that don't smoke on here, and I met a young kid at a pipe shop once who was accompanied by his parents because he collected pipes as mere objects, but he also obviously on spectrum.

Interesting. I'm not sure I would be comfortable here as a non-smoker. Anyways, I was very curious...
A cobbit shire I like the look of. Could use it as a tool for pointing, or as a decoration. Would look nice with my fountain pens and old razors.

A cobbit shire I like the look of. Could use it as a tool for pointing, or as a decoration. Would look nice with my fountain pens and old razors.
That's about all I would do with a cob too, ha ha. I guess they also make ok funnels for getting oil into the small hole on push mowers. puffy

Oh, and the occasional snowman accessory.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I would happily limit myself to one blend. I have before and will again. It's not an issue for me.

I smoke because I can and I find it enjoyable and relaxing. I don't have to work at it. I have a mild blend that burns neither hot nor leaves a ghost. There are more tasty blends than the one I smoke, but they aren't always available. I have a backup favorite. - it is a bit like a watered down Baptist, but even more so than a Presbyterian. More like an Episcopalian. It's called Black Maria by John Dengler. If she were a woman, she'd make good pies, decent meals, and the house would be cleaned on most every day. The sex would be just fine.

Anyway, chasing tail or being habitually dissatisfied with both myself and life is something I gave up a long time ago.

I am not a pipe smoker. I am someone who smokes a pipe.

Qball89

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Western Pa
I'll play, just for the hell of it. Even though I haven't smoked it in a while, I think I would pick C&D's Epiphany. Yup, I know I would.
I don’t know if I could pick just one, but epiphany would definitely be in the running. That to me is just a good tobacco. Not too heavy and not too light. Just a nice all around smoke. I think I’m going to have a bowl of that later!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad was a Granger smoker for the fifty years he smoked, age 15 to 65; he lived to 89, licensed to drive without glasses, I always like to say. So far, having smoked on and off over about 45 years, I've smoked a wide variety of blends and enjoyed that. It's just how I roll. Limited to one blend, I'd probably smoke a lot less often, maybe a bowl a week rather than a bowl a day, and why would I want to do that?

TheWhale13

Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
I, like a lot of other people enjoy the variety. It would be like eating the same food every day, just too boring. Three blends would be one thing, but I smoke because I enjoy it and that would be too boring. I don't just smoke for the nicotine, there are more effective nicotine delivery methods. So no, there is no desert island blend.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I've limited myself to one woman for 47 years, why would I want to limit myself to one pipe tobacco?

That being said, I can honestly said that while I rarely but the same blend continually, I do have a couple of blends that I buy when I can. I have multiple tins of Capstan Blue and Rattray's Exotic Passion, for example.

The exception to this is a blend I found last May named The Untouchables (made by DTM, HU and Michael Apitz), an aromatic with Cedar and floral notes. I bought two to start and five more a couple of months later. I'm down to two tins. If I had an unlimited supply, I could make it my only blend.

Scottishgaucho

Jan 22, 2020
Buenos Aires Province.
Couldn't nor wouldn't do it. Maybe 1 from each blend type. Maybe that would be doable. Maybe not. Why limit one's pleasure to only one delicious delicacy on a table filled with delicious delicacies?
To be honest I don't have much option. The government here slap such massive taxes on imported tobacco thus making it very expensive to smoke. Domestically produced pipe tobacco is a quarter of the price however it used to be absolutely awful. It's improved immensely over recent years, so much so I now rarely buy imported blends as most aren't much better.
The local blends lack in variety but even that's getting better with new producers appearing on the scene. Even flake tobacco is now available.
I now smoke an Argentine Virginia/Burley blend most of the time and could happily stick to that if I had to. I do miss a few of the UK blends I used to smoke but at least I don't have to waste time deciding what to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.