PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franco Pipenbeans

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
This is an interesting question, even if it has been posed using different words - “dessert island blend” or “go to blend” etc.

I think that the codgers of yesteryear were more loyal to a particular brand on the whole, which is somewhat of a generalisation I appreciate but hear me out.

The old blokes that I grew up around in the 80’s tended to be the ones who went through the Second World War in one way or another and, certainly for the Brits, tobacco was one dimensional blends doled out by the NAAFI, my grandad used to say there wasn’t any choice, it was either what they had or nothing.

On one occasion they came across a tobacconist in Cairo, I think he said, and bought some different stuff but he lost it all when the truck he was driving took a battering one day.

I’ve got a suspicion that even though, after the war, tobacconists were everywhere - to the point that the newsagent would also supply a good and wide range of tobacco better than most tobacconists these days - they took comfort and familiarity with one blend.

I have about £400 worth of tobacco on the go at the minute (not a huge amount when compared to others on here) and I know my grandad is looking down on me from his cloud saying “what does he need all that bloody lot for?” He would buy an ounce or two of the popular blends of his day: St Bruno, Condor etc and he wouldn’t buy anymore until that pouch was empty.

What I’m getting at is, tobacco was a staple, not a luxury for them; like tea or bread, and they would only smoke a favoured brand and weren’t interested in trying something different or new I suppose.

In answer to your question, I would definitely take Condor…or St Bruno…or Erinmore…or Benson and Hedges era Mellow Virginia…actually, I’d be happy smoking whatever got washed up next to me on the beach to be honest and then I probably wouldn’t be able to find a match to light the bloody thing!

Now where did I put that flint and steel???? ??

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
A month ago I'd have said University Flake... but right now I just can't decide, there are just so many blends I haven't tried that could be the potential candidate.

But in keeping with the question, as of now it will be a 3 way split between ;

University Flake/Pegasus/Union Square.

The only thing holding back Uni Flake for me is that I prefer it after a few weeks airing in the jar/tin, when the topping tones down a little (I love it though) and the Virginias have a chance to even out with the Burley.

I may check back in and update it down the line if this thread is still going.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
best part of renting an apartment is someone else has to mow the lawn. Does it work like that with a wife?
It's why I have a condo (broke 2 of my own rules).

Not working out, end the lease and trade in the wife ... or exercise the purchase option if you like it and there aren't too many miles or much wear and tear.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
It's why I have a condo (broke 2 of my own rules).

Not working out, end the lease and trade in the wife ... or exercise the purchase option if you like it and there aren't too many miles or much wear and tear.
I have to admit I am kind of rough on wives. Usually leave them exasperated. They love asking me why did you tell my husband about x y or z.

• Haha
Reactions: FLDRD

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Sorry to say but this ad is deceptive.

I just called to order and they insisted on charging me the same price they have had posted for weeks. I got some run-a-round about it already being a discounted price. They have made what was a very happy customer and made him into an unhappy customer. :mad:
Here is SP...MSRP: $41.10, Reg: $28.77, 15% Off = $24.45
P&C 20% Off Reg: $28.77 = $23.02

SPSW.png

Status
Not open for further replies.