PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
They seem to look for English pubs abroad and eat badly done steak and kidney pies with HP sauce! "When in Rome...." doesn't resonate with them.

Whereas you can eat at an American restaurant anywhere in the world, or Italian, French, etc., have you ever heard of such a thing as a British restaurant?

Reactions: edger

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Grass fed beef? AQma
I have no idea what word AQma subs for? None at all.

Grass fed and unfinished is the beef I prefer. No corn or other grains. A three or four year old steer, dry hung for thirty days or so if a treat for the beef eater. A bit tougher than people prefer these days, so longer slower roasting is required. Much more beef/grass flavor and , of course, much more expensive to produce for the ranchers and the abattoirs.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
You also don't really see a lot of aromatic smokers talk about high end pipes. It's interesting... does an aromatic smoker maybe think that they are just as likely to not taste their tobacco in a $700 pipe as they are not taste it in a bucket pipe?
I've gotten some aromatic ghosted mid range factory pipe on the estate market, but never a high end nor an artisan made. It would be interesting to know whether there are any serious pipe collectors that only smoke aromatics. I'm sure there must be... somewhere.

One if the worst things about budget season is missing good shit-posting because I can't break away from meetings until late afternoon. To your question, I'm your Huckleberry here. I own 200+ or so pipes, all over the spectrum but at least a third would go $600+ (and many $1,000+). Artisan and Victorian era Britwood.

And I smoke aro's and latakia out of all them. Not high end Latakia either, 10 Russians. I would smoke 15 Russians if they made it, which I would assume to be vodka wrappers and Cyprian shake and stems. I just smoked Sutliff Vanilla Custard out of a $1,500 Tao last night. Tonight I'll probably smoke Sleepy Hollow in a Yeti. Devils Holiday, Exotic Mixture, Warhorse Green, all the Silems. Love it. And if folks get hung up on that, I like it even more ?.

In cigars, wine, bourbon, knives, and guns.....I'm a first class snob. With pipes I'm basically Rodney Dangerfield from Back to School. I'm good with that, there's only so many things you can be snooty about.

Also, I didn't read all the shit-posting....but from OP isn't the 'less of good tobacco' a crop price/subsidy deal and not a "lets truck this HQ leaf into Mix 79' situation? I don't think aromatics are using up some limited high-test supply.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
Do you see aromatic smokers getting harassed on this forum? I mean, besides a few tongue in cheek jokes, I think we are a rather open-minded forum, as far as they go. But, we make tongue and cheek jokes about EVERYTHING.

Having been following this forum closely since May, I would say that's all fair. However, I would also say there's a prevailing sense, that hangs over the board, that aromatics are for beginners and experienced pipe smokers graduate to English and/or VaPer blends. Which I suspect makes sense, as so many here seem to have begun with aros and moved on to other blends. But I also think that's true of most hobbies of this sort. Hardcore whisky guys don't tend to have a high opinion of people who drink Jack or Jameson. Hardcore cigar smokers look down on anyone who smokes flavored cigars. That said, I've always thought it odd that Latakia blends aren't considered aromatic.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
You also don't really see a lot of aromatic smokers talk about high end pipes. It's interesting... does an aromatic smoker maybe think that they are just as likely to not taste their tobacco in a $700 pipe as they are not taste it in a bucket pipe?

That's interesting. Having only been into this hobby for about six months, I still tend to favor aros. However, I already have a half dozen pipes in the $200 - $300 range and can very easily foresee a day where I have a few in the $500 - $1,000 range. Investing that kind of money into my collection isn't so much a matter of refining my tastes, but rather understanding which style of pipe I enjoy most.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
That's interesting. Having only been into this hobby for about six months, I still tend to favor aros. However, I already have a half dozen pipes in the $200 - $300 range and can very easily foresee a day where I have a few in the $500 - $1,000 range. Investing that kind of money into my collection isn't so much a matter of refining my tastes, but rather understanding which style of pipe I enjoy most.
Yeah, to each his own and keep on keepin' on.

Status
Not open for further replies.