Status
Not open for further replies.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
To get somewhat back on topic, here is an article that I wrote awhile ago:

Evolution of Pipe Smokers?

In my opinion, if someone is having problems picking up flavors while pipe smoking, try Latakia blends. It takes no skill, or much of a palate, to taste them. They are the real "beginner" tobacco blends in my opinion.
I agree. Then you realize they taste like a cow pie. ?

• Haha
Reactions: macaroni and python

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I"ve now read all 145 posts in this thread and three things come to mind:

1) I still don't understand the original poster's point, unless it was a Gresham's Law type argument that bad tobacco drives out good

2) I too am intrigued by Jesse's reference to a Hot Cherry Bendover Virginia blend, and if my Secret Santa is reading this I want some

3) I'll never get back the ten minutes of my life I spent reading this thread

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am not entirely sure who you mean, but Daughters & Ryan's are not, for instance, or Germain's. The same applies to Gawith Hoggard, Samuel Gawith, Cornell & Diehl, etc. These manufacturers have an aromatic lineup as well, but they are not heavily processed or industrially produced.
not compared to many other blends, but even those are far from a raw product. There has been a lot done to all of those to become what one would consider generally smokeable or salable.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
You just defined British cuisine in 8 words. Best description ever! :D

I am answering to the food point because the thread has no great interest for me.
There is British cuisine, it's been developed over time based on the geography and stuff available in the British Isles just like everywhere else. It's fine too, treated unfairly first and foremost by the Brits themselves who have no idea what their land's food and ingredients are like. Here's a good 700 pages on British cooking.

1604987879971.png

jorgesoler

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2014
not compared to many other blends, but even those are far from a raw product. There has been a lot done to all of those to become what one would consider generally smokeable or salable.

I am not saying they sell a raw product, but that they are not heavily processed. If for instance, you add humectants, the final product cannot be classed as unprocessed pipe tobacco.

Jun 9, 2018
England
From what I understand, aromatic smokers outnumber the rest by a substantial margin. It makes no sense they would be bullied. Perhaps aromatic smokers have their own sense of inadequacy even though that makes little sense. Seems like quite a stretch to see all this as a threat to pipe tobacco.

That's definitely the case over here, some online shops have a list of the top selling blends and aromatics are always well represented.
Nobody should judge fans of aromatics! People who smoke Clan are obviously fair game though.

Jun 9, 2018
England
I've always said that the real reason you don't see more aromatic smokers as active members is that beyond the initial "how do I smoke my pipe," they rarely ever have anything to contribute. Have you seen a thread about an aromatic tobacco?
"Tastes like vanilla"
"Yep"
There's not much more you can add to an aromatic discussion. They just never discuss nuances of flavor, nor do they ever post much about a breadth of different blends. My suspicion is that most aromatic smokers aren't tasting anything, as they smoke for a room note. Maybe not all (because chasingembers will post that he tastes everything), but most never really develop a sensitive palate because of the nature of aromatics.

Sure, sure, we do have some aromatic smokers here, but not many, and most don't hang with us for long. Not because we run them off, but because you just don't ever see them develop a conversation about aromatics that has any depth or breadth to them.

Sure sure, blame a simple joke for running people off... have you seen the way we slam each other over latakia or even perique? Maybe aromatic smokers just have a sense of inadequacy that makes them much more sensitive to any minute joke that may pass before them? Probably from not having the sense of taste non-aro smokers seem to have in tobacco threads?
Some of the Gawith aromatics are very high quality, I think it's because they use their normal tobacco and just add flavourings rather than using a lesser leaf.
Their flavoured twists are some of my favourites but I don't think you'd class them as an aromatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.