PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I'm sure there are many more non-aromatics today than there were 50 years ago. I think the OP is wrong.
Beef on guys.
I agree. When I started smoking pipe in '94, even, all I knew about was the bulk blends, and a few tins and boxes, like Peterson, Dunhill, and Macbaren, all of which cost more and gathered dust on the shelf. I had to start importing myself in order to get anything 'exotic' like McClelland, Samuel G, Rattray or C&D, which I only knew about because of magazines. Payment was by phone with a credit card, as internet was not a thing, really, for the average person like myself.

I have seen these tobaccos gradually make their ways into the B&Ms over the years, and the local selection is now far greater than it ever was.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Whereas you can eat at an American restaurant anywhere in the world, or Italian, French, etc., have you ever heard of such a thing as a British restaurant?

There's plenty of English/Irish/Scottish restaurants in Chicago. To be sure, they're relaxed places and usually in the form of an Inn or Pub that specializes in fish n' chips and Shepherd's Pie. It's not fine dining but certainly still British.

(EDIT)
Never mind, I see this question has already been thoroughly answered.

However, I would also say there's a prevailing sense, that hangs over the board, that aromatics are for beginners and experienced pipe smokers graduate to English and/or VaPer blends.
Now, I think chasingembers has made a great point about aromatics being better for experienced pipe smokers, because you have to develop your skills in tasting before you can fully appreciate them. I know I give him some joking and jiving, but he makes a really good point, and it's what I would suggest now because of it. I would suggest starting off with something easy to taste, like a nice English blend, develop a taste for the nuances of pure tobacco, and then decide whether you would branch out to aromatics or Virginias.

As for a whisky drinker giving someone shit for their choices, piss on them. Just as with your choices in pipe tobaccos, smoke or drink what you like, and enjoy it. Screw anyone who puts you down. I mean, you won't see a latakia guy feeling bad for people making fun of his burning tire smelling tobacco. Nope, he'd just flip 'em off and keep smoking. Stand up for yourself. Joke 'em back. It's all in good fun. I made a post a few years ago about being in the smoking lounge at The Briary, holdin' court with the guys, back slapping and such... and, we hear someone walk in where we can't see them, but we hear, "Give me four ounces of that Blackberry." We all cracked up, "blackberry?! Haw haw haw..." Then into the lounge walks this 7 foot tall behemoth neandrethal, with arms dragging the ground, bandages on his face, like he'd just gotten out of jail for killing a school bus with his face, and had blood smears all over his arms and hands, packing his blackberry pie smelling tobacco. He looked like he ate puppies for snacks. But, here he was, smoking his fruit loops... ha ha. Of course, I gave him shit still, but a more kind and gentle brand of shit, ha ha.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. And, come up with some good zingers to put down the rest of us when the guffawing begins. We only make fun, because we like you. If we didn't, we probably wouldn't say anything to you.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
... I would love to set in on a pipe club where they mostly smoke aromatics. I would love to know what they discuss.
“Lovely weather we’ve been having”
“It’s a bit chilly”
“I like it a bit chilly”
“Not this chilly”
“Maybe a bit less chilly, then?”
“A bit less chilly, yes”
“But still a bit chilly”
“Maybe less wind”
“I like a bit of wind”
“Not this windy”
“Maybe a bit less windy, then”
“A bit less windy, yes”
“But still a bit windy”
“Your beard is on fire”
“I like my beard on fire”
“Not that much on fire”
“Maybe less flames, then”
“A bit less flames, yes”
“But still some flames”
“I’m sorry, I dozed off there a bit. Were you saying something?”

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Wow. Seven pages of commentary about what?
Denmark is going to take over the world? Good! I like their pastries.

Do forums make fun of aromatics? Is a 400 lb robin fat? That said, why should anyone care what others think about their smoking preferences? Seriously.

And WTF is an aro anyway? Is it hot cherry bendover Virginia? A lot of people here would sell their children to be harvested for their organs just to get a bowlful of Stonehaven, and that's slathered with treacle. Stonehaven isn't an aro? Or, for that matter, Dunbar, Dorchester, or most of the Esoterica line? And long, long ago, English blends were considered aros because they contained aromatic tobaccos.

Yeah, 80 to 90 percent of what is sold are aros. And the best of them don't use crap tobacco, 'cause once the topping's burned off all you're left with is the lousy tobacco underneath.

Denmark is the country where English blends go to die, but that's because a lot of the idiosyncrasies of the individual makers have been homogenized because they're no longer made by separate facilities with different styles, but by huge companies where they're just one name on a bunch going through the same production line, being made from similar constituent components.

Those decisions are driven by profitability.

Same goes with tobaccos. Once government subsidies ended, growers had decisions to make. Many stopped growing tobacco and went into more profitable crops. Others cut costs by changing the way crops are harvested, replacing handpicking leaves when they hit peak maturity with machine harvesting that mixes mature leaf with immature leaf. "Good enough" tobacco is what you're getting no matter what the label says. Money dictates.

Nobody is immune. HU blends that I like have definitely taken a hit sometime in the last couple of years. Out goes Perique (too expensive) and in goes dark fired (cheap and who will notice the difference?).

All that said, if you're happy with what your smoking, what more do you need? And if you're unhappy with that someone else is smoking, maybe electroshock therapy will benefit you.

EvertonFC

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 5, 2020
Philadelphia
As for a whisky drinker giving someone shit for their choices, piss on them. Just as with your choices in pipe tobaccos, smoke or drink what you like, and enjoy it. Screw anyone who puts you down. I mean, you won't see a latakia guy feeling bad for people making fun of his burning tire smelling tobacco. Nope, he'd just flip 'em off and keep smoking. Stand up for yourself. Joke 'em back. It's all in good fun. I made a post a few years ago about being in the smoking lounge at The Briary, holdin' court with the guys, back slapping and such... and, we hear someone walk in where we can't see them, but we hear, "Give me four ounces of that Blackberry." We all cracked up, "blackberry?! Haw haw haw..." Then into the lounge walks this 7 foot tall behemoth neandrethal, with arms dragging the ground, bandages on his face, like he'd just gotten out of jail for killing a school bus with his face, and had blood smears all over his arms and hands, packing his blackberry pie smelling tobacco. He looked like he ate puppies for snacks. But, here he was, smoking his fruit loops... ha ha. Of course, I gave him shit still, but a more kind and gentle brand of shit, ha ha.

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. And, come up with some good zingers to put down the rest of us when the guffawing begins. We only make fun, because we like you. If we didn't, we probably wouldn't say anything to you.

I would agree with everything you wrote. Cheers.

jerseysam

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2019
Liberty Township. OH
And WTF is an aro anyway? Is it hot cherry bendover Virginia?

If there's an aro named "Hot Cherry Bendover Virginia" and I've missed it, I'm going to be beyond pissed at myself. Even more crushed the when Condorlover wrote about John Cottons Banana Supreme Ready Rub and for half a second I thought was an new blend.

Beyond that, agree with you completely on the rest ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.