PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdsmusumeci

Lurker
Dec 18, 2014
Chattanooga, TN
Salvatore from Chattanooga, TN here. Been at pipes since 1996; however, I never really took it seriously until this last year. Now that I've got a collection of pipes and tobaccos I've enjoyed learning about how to make every smoke an enjoyable smoke.

nowwhat

Lurker
Dec 31, 2014
Hello.

I'm pretty new to pipes but I've been enjoying cigars occasionally for years. I'm in the South San Francisco Bay Area.

disciplewalk

Lurker
Jan 2, 2015
Hello all, glad to be a part of this group. I have smoked pipes on and off for many years now. I am a United Methodist Minister finishing my Masters Degree at Duke Divinity School (Duke University) in Durham NC. I have found that smoking my pipe is about the most relaxing thing I can do when the rigors of academia become too intense (more fun than humans should be allowed to have). I have been checking out this site for months now and decided to join today. I look forward to learning more about pipes and pipe tobacco from all of you. Grace and Peace - Darrel

coach

Lurker
Jan 1, 2015
Hey Guys,
I've been reading these forums for quite a while now, but I joined yesterday as part of my New Years Resolution. I've been smoking a pipe for about 7 years now. I was a cigar smoker for years but my wife couldn't stand the smell anymore, so she actually suggested a pipe. I haven't looked back since...
I'm glad to finally be a part of these forums, and I look forward to learning more from everyone.
Don

grue50me

Lurker
Jan 3, 2015
Hi, I have been smoking pipes since the tender age of eight when my Grandad primed my 'lidded' Woolworth bought briar pipe with Condor tobacco. I smoked it 'till I was green and my mum had a fit when I arrived home feeling very sick. I bought a Dr Plumb bent in he early '80's and it's still my favourite smoke. I am now 51 and own a fair few pipes but the Plumb and my rustic Pimpernel are my two serious pipes. I'm considering a Peterson bent next but I'm not sure. I'm finding this site very informative so thanks for accepting me - I hope I am able to offer advice - and learn plenty. I live in Dorset UK where there are very few decent tobacconists now - the best ones are long gone unfortunately. Keep the pipe dreams coming, regards, Andy

jackson1

Lurker
May 28, 2014
United States
Hello everybody! My name is Jack Casner and I live in Kansas City, Missouri [by GAWD]. I've smoked pipes since my navy days - back on the old USS Noah's Ark. I started with YelloBole, went to BBB and then lost my mind completely.
My first tobacco was an aromatic, a thing called "Perfect Pipe". I thought it was wonderful until I tried a Virginia/Havana blend and then I was hooked of high zoot, Engish mixtures.
I stopped for about ten years then saw an eBay listing for a small Peterson bent apple and caved. I loved that little pipe so much I started buying other estate pipes from eBay and leading cyber dealers. Then I started buying some new ones. When I quit smoking pipes I sold my entire collection (I still regret a small, Lee 5 star, straight grain lovat). Today, I am trying to control my acquisition instincts. I prefer Petersons, but I have a few wonderful Savinelli pipes and some very fine, Italian made Kaywoodies. I also own, and smoke, a number of Missouri Meerschaum pipes. I don't much like Meerschaums.
Right now I am debating purchase of a 90+ year old Kaywoodie estate pipe My grip on reason is slipping.
My current tobacco preferences run to Virginia, to flake, to cigar leaf blends, to English mixtures. I cannot resist Frog Morton blends and the McClelland Dominican Gold is beyond compare.

khartman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2015
Hello everyone,
My name is Kyle and I live in Woodbridge, VA! I used to smoke cigars about 10 years ago and had a few friends that smoked pipes. I was given a few chances to try them and enjoyed it some. I've decided recently to give the pipe another go around, so I recently ordered a starter kit off of pipes and cigars website. I went really basic incase my body decides it's just not right. I went with a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe, a Twain bent corn cob (wasn't sure if other pipe had filter and like the bent look), 1.5 oz smooth and mild cherry blend. Kit also came with pipe smoking 101, pretty excited to learn more. Also picked up basic cleaning supplies. I've been looking around and reading a fair bit on here, there's all kinds of things I didn't realize that goes into pipe smoking, sizes, bends, filters, shapes, depth, etc. I've got a lot to learn!

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Hey all,
New to the forum but not to the site, just wanted to quickly introduce myself. I'm a younger pipe smoker served in the USMC Reserves for a number of years, currently about to finish my 6th and final year. I'm looking forward to posting here frequently and getting more involved in the community. Also If anyone knows of any pipe smoking clubs in the Massachusetts area - I'd appreciate any info
Regards,

Matt

roguewhistler

Lurker
Jan 8, 2015
Hello, I'm a professor, husband, and father in my mid-thirties. I enjoy food and whiskey, but until recently my smoking experience consisted of only a single cigar. I consider cigarettes a dangerous and disgusting habit, but I'm more lenient toward cigars and definitely intrigued by pipes. I admit that my interest has been at least partially motivated by the aroma of others' pipes, but I'm also one to read extensively about a hobby before diving in. What I've read about chemical additives makes me more wary of aromatic tobaccos. I recently purchased the following pipe
http://smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/rossi/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=127247
I also purchased a brass Zippo pipe lighter, Czech pipe tool, pipe cleaners, and a leather pouch to hold it all. For my first tobaccos, I chose Frog Morton and Dunhill Flake. I have smoked one bowl of the Frog Morton while the Dunhill Flake remains unopened. I don't expect to smoke more than once per week, and I am unlikely to amass a collection of pipes. I may pick up a second or third pipe as I learn more about how different tobaccos affect them, but I've already experienced enough runaway hobbies to make me take a more minimalist approach to this one. Just like with my bourbon hobby, I'm more interested in exploring variety than in finding a "best" or favorite tobacco, and I look forward to your recommendations. I have two (sort of) questions:
1. How would you compare the following three forums: pipesmokersforum.com, tampandpuff.com, and pipesmagazine.com? Is any one the best? If so, why?
2. How would you compare Pipes Magazine with Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine? Is one better? If so, why?
I ask these questions because I work 60-80 hours per week and will likely not have time to actively read all of these. Thanks.

babalooie

Lurker
Jan 7, 2015
Hi, I'm getting back into pipe smoking after about 45 years. Was smoking Dr.Grabows and Kaywoodies in the 1960's with Flying Dutchman, Amphora and other tobaccos.

I'm "retired" and have been working part time as a gunsmith for a local sporting goods store.
I have a small collection consisting of new and estate pipes. Recently, I've been modifying some of the estates and new factory seconds to accept 6mm pipe filters. I've also been re-carving some of the same pipes to meet my tastes. This ranges from adding churchwarden stems to refinishing and carving them. Not everything comes out right, but I'm about 75% satisfied with the results. I guess you could compare this to customizing a car to eliminate some of the cookie cutter look.
I've been on the Smith and Wesson forum for years under the same name, babalooie, and look forward to spending quality time here.

vanhem

Lurker
Dec 17, 2014
I grew up with my grand father smoking his pipe around me. I have smoked tobacco pipes with my cousins. I am a carpenter by trade and recently tried my hand at creating an alternative to tobacco pipes. I know make e pipes as an alternative to tobacco....I love the pipe feel but am trying to stay keep healthy.

Zac

streambrewer

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
Kansas
Hello all,
Been smoking pipes for about 15 years regularly, and I continue to appreciate more and more as the years go by. I smoke mostly inexpensive briars, but have a about eight pipes I have inherited from my great grandfather, and my wife's grandfather, of which I have restored three to proper condition, thanks to some of the information on this forum, and about another eight of my own that are part of my regular rotation.
I am recently retired from the Army and am settling in the greater Kansas City area. And enjoying the chance to smoke more than 1-2 times per week.
I wouldn't say that I have any favorite tobaccos, save for a preference to mix different things up. I have benefited from a great deal of generosity of gifts over time, and frankly, it has taken most of the last ten years just to smoke up the 10-12 lbs I have received in gifts and another 3-4 lbs I have purchased for myself over that time, so I am interest in trying some new blends and gaining more knowledge of the classics.
I am aspiring to own one more meerschaum in addition to the two I purchased while overseas, and maybe restore another nice estate pipe some time. My other hobbies have included the restoration of a 1955 Airstream, so I have had the right stuff for buffing and polishing old pipes, and my restoration efforts have been fantastic so far thanks to information here.
Oh, I have surfing around, but can anyone point me to the directions for adding pictures?
Cheers!
Matt

balkaneddie

Lurker
Jan 11, 2015
Hello everyone.I live in Vilonia,AR and been smoking pipes off and on for 21 years.I'm looking foward to sharing some great company with fellow pipe smokers.:)

pryan215

Lurker
Jan 10, 2015
philly, pa
Hey everyone, my name is Pat. I'm from the suburbs of philly. I've been a cigar smoker for over a decade and just started smoking a pipe. I also have hobbies of home brewing and woodworking (mainly lathe) and am currently working on making my first pipe. I hope to learn a lot from everyone

Pat

noquarter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 18, 2015
Hello,

I'm Mike,35 years of age. Occasional cigar and hookah smoker and a newbie at tobacco pipe smoking. Was a cigarette smoker for 15 years before i kicked the habit 4 years ago.

My hobbies include vintage motorcycles and cars,collecting inverts(tarantulas and scorps), and powerlifting. I'm a husband and a father of a 3 year old toddler.

I'm looking forward into learning new things with this new hobby of mine.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Welcome to all the new members! I love reading the introductory posts. I find it interesting to learn a bit about everyone and also intriguing what people choose to share. For those who are new to pipe smoking I suggest you hit up the beginners forum here as there is so much helpful info.
Once again welcome and enjoy!

poorboysvh

Lurker
Jan 19, 2015
Hello to everyone, I'm Steve from Ohio. I have started smoking cigars when I work on Antique Clock's and Watches. I'm a 3rd Generation Horologist, my Father who has passed about 18 years ago was a pipe smoker. I always enjoyed him smoking a pipe, so I decided to buy a pipe and some different types of tobacco. The pipe I bought was a Bjarne Viking, and some Boswell's tobacco. I must say that I really enjoy smoking a pipe better then cigars when I have a clock or watch on my bench, it brings back old memory's. My wife and Daughter purchased a Dracula Peterson pipe for V-Day which I cant wait to get.. I Like Horror movies lol.

pipebaum81

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2014
Welcome, poorboysvh. Thanks for sharing stories about your father. I'm sorry to hear he has passed on. Pipe smoking means a lot of different things to a lot of different people but something that almost all agree upon is that it's not just about tobacco. For a lot us it has to do with memories of loved ones and similar special sentiments.
Welcome aboard and don't be a stranger!

smokejumper

Lurker
Jan 21, 2015
Good evening all! I am new to the pipe smoking world and have learned a lot of valuable information on my short journey to puffing confidence here on pipesmagazine. It's a strange story how I got started with the pipe. My father and his father smoked pipes until I was about 5. My mothers father smoked pipes until I was maybe 10? I always remember the smell and fascination I had with his pipe smoking. Well, this past November I took my family to union station here in Kansas City and areas nearby and was hit by this huge sense of nostalgia and days gone buy. I bought a Dr. Grabow and a pouch of captain black the very next day. How many other stories start with these:) It wasn't long when I discovered 3 tobacco shops in the area and I discovered Latika!! What a different direction that was.
A little personal info:

As my forum name suggests I am a seasoned skydiver with over 1200 skydives, I enjoy backpacking, kayaking, wedding photography and time with the family. I am very much looking forward to future discussions and getting answers to questions I am sure will come up.

ewhutson

Lurker
Jan 23, 2015
Hey y'all Erik here from Knoxville Tennessee, gateway to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I've been smoking pipes on and off for about 15 years now. I guess I can say my grandfather inspired me to start smoking. It wasn't unusual to see him sporting a hole in his button-up shirt's front pocket. His pipes would burn holes right through his pockets when retiring his pipe after a smoke. I'm happy I stumbled upon this pipe community. And I look forward to reading everyone's great stories and memories about smoking the briar.
-Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.