PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Hello chaps!
I am a 49 year old pipe smoker living in New York City although I originally came from the UK. As my name implies I am a dedicated condor smoker and I have been since 1979/80 when I took up pipe smoking. I have tried most of the commercial blends available in the UK but always come back to condor green. I like dark twist but I usually load on my tobacco in duty free when visiting the UK. I have a very large collection of pipes and I collect old used meerschaum pipes which I have over hauled and the cases refurbished. The average age is about 110 years old as I find it is so much better if someone has broken the pipe in for you a 100+ years ago. I use short cutty clays as well as they are very more replaceable than an antique pipe! Any New Yorkers do so hello and have a Happy Christmas everyone!

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
Hello all. I just discovered this site while researching info on meerchaum pipes. I have been smoking pipes for many years and my preference has been Danish Freehands though I do own a few Savenellis.
I am originally from New Orleans though I now live on the Louisiana coast where the fishing is awesome and the living is easy.

goodsmokejd

Lurker
Dec 26, 2013
Hello. This is goodsmokejd. I have never tried a pipe before. Iam from Texas. I am a cigar smoker. I enjoy a good mild cigar. And I really want to get into pipe smoking just haven't taken the plunge yet, because I have no idea where to start. I am hoping this community might be able to give me some advice for a first timer. ie: do I need filters, what's a good starter pipe, etc. I look forward to talking with everyone and hope I can get great opinions from everyone.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Goodsmokejd:
Welcome and enjoy your new hobby. There are variables in the world of pipe smoking, the pipe, the tobacco and thr manner in which you puff.
The pipe. A good pipe is available for about $50. Go to PipesandCigars.com and look at there new pipes. Try the Crown brand. All around $50.
Tobacco. Two kinds generally, aromatic and non aromatic. You can also try Lane 1Q for starters. 2 oz, ought to get you going.
Puffing. Go slowly, draw easy and take your time.
Post your results/thoughts once you get going.

papabear

Lurker
Dec 27, 2013
Ottawa, Ont
Hi,
I'm new here and fairly new to pipe smoking. I've been smoking cigars for nearly 20 years and thought or exploring new ground. So far I've been addicted :)
I got on two pipes and a few blend of tobacco ... so I'm still learning. Looking forward to meet you guys and interact on my new found passion :)
Papabear

kells

Lurker
Dec 29, 2013
Greetings, folks --
I have thought about joining in here for a long time, and have finally taken the plunge. I'm a Peterson collector and smoker. Good to be here!

flardio

Lurker
Dec 31, 2013
Hi everyone,

So I just joined here after buying my first pipe. The reason why I switched from cigarettes to pipes was because I thought it would save me money in the log run. I'm really interested in flavoring my tobacco and I was wondering if anyone has tried using cinnamon before? What do you think?

love2smoke

Lurker
Jan 1, 2014
Hey guys! Another newbie here. I as many others have been intrigued by pipe smoking since I was a young child. I clearly remember the sweet note of pipe tobacco while roaming the street as a child or walking out of the supermarket or shopping Centre. Seeing the older gentlemen puffing away, the sweet aroma surrounding the area in which he occupied. Well,here i am now, 32 years old, at I time in my life where I decided I'd like to give pipe smoking a try. I'm very uneducated about the hobby, although I have read lots since buying my first pipe and pouch. My first pipe was a Vincenzo, picked it up for $30 at the local Indian reserve smoke shop along with a 50g pouch of Amphora Original hlend. First couple smoke were enjoyable, but the more I worked in my pipe the better it got. This is when I knew I really enjoyed the hobby. So, now that I know I enjoy smoking pipe I decided to purchase my second pipe. After a little research I decided on Mr.Brog no.14, churchwarden. They are a low cost, good quality pipe from what I've read. At the same time I wanted to broaden my tobacco collection. I ordered an OZ each of MacBaren Vanilla Cream loose cut, lane limited black raspberry, and sutliff chocolate truffle. Can't wait for it all to arrive! Cheers everyone!

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Greetings,
New to the forum but looking forward to chatting with you good folks from time to time. My brother and I own Old Dominion Pipe Company and we are a new sponsor this month to Pipes Magazine and I'm sure you've been seeing our ad running this week. Our passion is traditional, historic smoking pipes and we have introduced a line of traditional bamboo stem corn cob pipes handcrafted from our own heirloom Indian corn that we grow on our farm down in Virginia. I've always had an appreciation for pipes going back to my father and two uncles who were avid pipe smokers back in the '70s and early '80s. They were all "Sir Walter Raleigh" men and for that reason I still have a fondness for this OTC tobacco as it often brings back some fond memories growing up. I obviously have an affinity for cobs, but have also enjoyed clays and a good briar from time to time. Take care and stay warm on this blistery cold winter night!

superocean9

Lurker
Jan 4, 2014
Hello fellow pipe smokers,

Just had the good luck to run across this forum. I've been a pipe guy since the late 70's. After spending the last 15 years as a commodity broker at the Chicago Board of Trade where I was surrounded by chain smoking cigarette addicts I've now moved to a home office & can renew my pipe in peace. Looking forward to sharing "tips" with fellow pipe lovers. P.S. anyone interested in the "markets" check out my FB business page @ Hutchins Trading, LLC

soulque

Lurker
Jan 2, 2014
Hello everyone,
I'm a new pipe smoker from Alabama, Im 25 years old and have been enjoying pipe smoking for about 4 months. Now I want to broaden my horizons and branch out so I thought I would come here and do some research and learn from you guys.

rangerearthpig

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2014
Howdy. I'm a 56 year old guy from Texas. I'm giving the pipe a second chance....gave it up (and a decent sized collection) about 20 years ago as a "healthy choice." At his stage of my life, I have realized that there are some things a man should keep as an earned hobby, no matter the risk: a good fly fishing rod, an old Harley, a western hat, smooth whiskey, a classic rifle, and a nice smoking pipe.
It's a pleasure to be on board. Happy 2014.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
Hello everyone. Mr.Motoyoshi signing in here. I used to smoke a pipe in college (although I didn't know a quarter of what I know now thanks to the internet). Now, I'm living and working in Japan (been here 4 years now) and I've been back on the briar for about two months now. I have a little collection of some briar pipes and corn cobs. I just got a clay pipe last night that I'm excited to use. I really like VA flakes and English blends. Holger Danske RNF is my favorite baccy. I look forward to talking to you all and hope you don't mind answering some of my questions. Thank you!

cosmic

Lurker
Jan 8, 2014
Hello all. I hope you are all well and had a nice time over the recent holiday season.
I'm Ben. I would say to one who doesn't smoke a pipe that I've been smoking pipes for about three years, but to a truly experienced pipe smoker I'd say I've only now just started really. I own around five pipes and have limited tobacco knowledge, but I recently purchased a stunning handmade 16 inch ash hardwood pipe over eBay that included a lot of useful info on care and use, and I feel that has really pushed me over the line of truly novice, don't-know-what-he's-doing smoker (I've only now realised how awful, burnt-out and poorly-kept my other pipes are now, and my smoke procedures have been rather damaging) to one about ready to really take pipe smoking seriously.
So here I am. Hi :D

fuelpump

Lurker
Jan 9, 2014
Hello all, I have been following the site and reading the post for several months. I am a relatively new pipe smoker (New Year’s resolution for 2012 was to learn to smoke a pipe). I was not a regular smoker since prior to that I only had found fine Cigars to be an enjoyable smoke. Now that I have gotten to try some great pipe tobaccos I rarely even consider a Cigar.

It seemed that pipe smoking had nearly disappeared during my lifetime consumed by other forms of “tobacco” use. When I was very young I remember seeing some gentlemen smoking a pipe. However, during the 1980’s the people I knew that smoked a pipe either quit or moved on to smoking cigarettes. So as I reached my late teens and early twenties all I saw was people with cigarettes. I never have understood how anyone could enjoy a cigarette since the few times I tried a cigarette I thought that they tasted horrible smelled worse.

As with other who did not have a mentor for proper pipe smoking I struggled through the first few attempts. After reading post on the internet, watching YouTube videos, and spending hours reading reviews of different pipe tobaccos I finally understood a little about how to smoke a pipe. Now armed with just enough information to really make some horrible decisions I set out to learn something new.

I am the type of person that enjoys learning new things, I usually get interested in something spend many hours researching it and then after I have a good working knowledge of it move on to something else. I have now uncovered a topic that seems to have no limits to the new things I can learn. The pipe smoking hobby is somewhat easy to learn however one can never master. I now look forward to spending many decades unearthing new and exciting facets to pipe smoking.

irishkevin

Lurker
Jan 12, 2014
I have been a pipe smoker on and off for over a decade now, I didn't discover "quality" tobaccos until 2006, up to that point I had been smoking OTC, and the occasional tobacco shop blend. 2007 I bought my first (and only) Peterson pipe, which I love dearly. I have an obsession with Dunhill Flake, and anything from esoterica. I have like plug and flake in particular, I look forward to trying some brown twist. I reside in Texas, grew up in the New York metropolitan area, am first generation American (my folks are from Ireland), a former Marine, and combat veteran.

Status
Not open for further replies.