PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddlein

Lurker
Nov 11, 2013
Hey guys,
Been a lurker for quite a while (at least a year). Finally decided to make an account. I've been collecting pipes for 5 years but only recently started smoking them. I collect all kinds of Canadiana which is how I've collected a fairly nice group of Trypis Pipes (anyone interested in trades let me know). Don't have any favorite tobaccos at the moment as I just started with a few house blends from Walpers Tobacco Shop near me in Kitchener Ont. I have a feeling my tastes lean towards english and virgians.
Other than that I'm an avid canoeist, father of two, and drinker of Canadian whisky. Love the forums guys so many great posts and good conversations. Looking forward to participating.
Cheers

Paddle In

cetyn

Lurker
Nov 12, 2013
Sut ydach chi?

Hello all
Like paddlein before me, I've been an avid reader since googling about information about pipe smoking, but only now have I set up an account. I've 6 pipes in rotation, that's as far as my PAD goes (so says the wife, lol). In my 6 pipes I smoke 6 different Samuel Gawith tobaccos, I've listed my pipes and tobaccos in my profile, but I'm sure I'll mention them in various posts.
I don't smoke in my house because I have 4 children, all under 7 years of age. I've a man shed that is my smoking den. Other than pipe smoking, I'm learning the craft of green woodworking, so I will have a stool by Christmas in my shed, and maybe a chair by the summer. I also like to home brew, but I save that for summer months. I like real ale and whisky. I play Golf, I'm a Football(Soccer) and Rugby Union fan, but the majority of my spare time is spent with my wife and children.
My user name means "pipe" in the Welsh language, pronounced "Ketin". The first salutation that I gave meant "How are you?".
Great forum, and I'm looking forward to some more interesting conversations. :)

irishmac473

Lurker
Nov 12, 2013
Hey everyone, my name is Caleb. Pretty new to pipe smoking and the forum. I live in Lincoln Nebraska, I have 2 kids(11 and 8) and beautiful wife I've been married to for 13 years. I am a Conductor for BNSF railroad and my primary route is Lincoln to Kansas City.
I have smoked Cigars for about 10 years. Last year a fellow cigar smoker told me I should buy a pipe and try it. I bought a cheap pipe and didn't read a whole lot about pipe smoking. Thought you just put a bunch of tobacco in the bowl and smoked it. It didn't go to well and I told my friend that pipe smoking wasn't for me. A few months ago I can across a web post about smoking pipes for beginners and decided to try it again. This time I went a bought a decent pipe and good tobacco. Since then I don't think I've smoked a cigar. I love smoking my pipe. My only problem is I need more pipes :) We have a couple great knowledgable local tobacconist that are a great source of supplies and instruction.
This forum is great and I look forward to reading and posting in the future.

basil

Might Stick Around
Nov 17, 2013
Hello everyone, my forum name is Basil, but my friends call me.....Basil (love that movie).Been a pipes only smoker for almost 10 years, with an occasional cigar thrown in for Weddings, births, that sort of thing. But started back around the age of 25, just too impatient back then to stick with it. Amazing how age will allow you to slow down and actually enjoy life!

I live in Concord NC. Out in the country, wouldn't know how to live in a city any more. Married to an angel (she puts up with me, so she must be!). Five boys and one girl, all grown and with families of their own. And last week my 16th grandchild was born.

I like Carter Hall in a cob, latakia is my friend, and enjoy Virginia's. I started making pipes a few years back and enjoy going out to my shop and forgetting about time.

Hope to find more like minded folks close by to enjoy an occasion smoke with.

Be well and enjoy life.

abdulaziz

Might Stick Around
Oct 30, 2013
Salam

My name is Abdulaziz And I`m a new pipe smoker,almost 3 months, I live in Sana'a, Yemen.

I am an occasional cigarettes or Shisha smoker, I don't know what attracted me to pipe smoking whether it's the look of the pipes or the eager to try new stuff, here in Yemen we don't have much interest in pipe smoking like other countries so everything related to pipes, cleaners, tobacco, lighters or even good pipes, is hard to find. I first started with a Kiko pipe and a pouch of Captain Black Royal and I truly hated it, then I tried some other tobaccos and I think I am on my way to liking or even loving pipes, recently I ordered some MM cobs and hardwood, different tobaccos, cleaners and a lighter from smokingpipes and I am waiting to get them.

I am learning from the members here a lot and I hope your articles will help me in picking my first briar pipe.

fideau

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Hello all. My name is Jim and I have smoked pipes on and off for about 50 years. There have been periods where I smoked nothing else for a good 2 years straight, then drop off awhile. Also have enjoyed some good cigars over the years also. I was born in the middle of Tobacco Road in NC and stayed here. I like to read about other's experiences with pipes and tobaccos and maybe share some of mine. Meanwhile, I have some catching up to do. :puffy:

douce52

Lurker
Nov 17, 2013
Hello everyone, I am a new pipe smoker from Oshawa, Ontario, Canada. I have two pipes so far, a Corn Cob (Missouri Meerschaum) and one I am carving myself made out of maple. I am currently exploring different kinds of tobacco. I have tried Borkum Riff's Cherry Cavendish, Amphora's Mild Blend and a mild English I get at my local shop called Highlander, sorry I can't remember who makes it. I look forward to learning about pipe smoking from all the knowledgeable people here.
Douce

gulfcappy63

Lurker
Nov 19, 2013
Hey Folks my name is John,I`m from east Texas.I drive a truck on the water,

which is sometimes stressful,A friend introduced me to pipe smoking a few months

back And I really enjoy learning this stress-free relaxing hobby.And hoping I learn more

from yall. Cappy

docstout

Lurker
Nov 18, 2013
Hello, Ladies and Gentlemen.
My name is Josh, and I live in the city of Chicago, and I've recently picked up smoking my pipe after nearly two decades without. I still have that first briarwood Dr. Grabow Duke, and have picked up an estate pipe and have access to a few additional pipes through my wife's passion for Civil War re-enacting. I've really only ever smoked CBG, but am interested in branching out into other blends and learning more about pipes beyond the humble drugstore filtered briar.

pastorclint

Lurker
Nov 8, 2013
San Diego, CA
Howdy Gents,
My name is Clint, and I am most certainly new to the art of smoking pipe. I am a Pastor...I love my wife and 19 month old daughter...and I'm too blessed to not enjoy life to the fullest.
I'd always wanted to take up smoking a pipe, so I picked up my first pipe on 10/18/13. It was a $5 special from what could only loosely be referred to as a "tobacco shop", along with a pouch of the cheapest aromatic tobacco known to man. Even still, I had the bug. I purchased a Dr. Grabow Savoy and have continued learning, one bowl at a time. I also purchased a bag of Admiral's Choice Vanilla Cavendish...smells great...but it is very wet and goopy. Even after drying it out, it is very difficult to keep light and keep lit. Today I purchased a pouch from a San Diego, CA local B&M called "Racine and Laramie." The blend is affectionately called "Gramp's Blend." It is a golden flue-cured and black Danish aromatic cavendish. I'm told it is very mild and only slightly cased. So far, I've had better luck at keeping it lit and enjoy it.
I'm excited to be part of the "Brotherhood of the Briar." I have much to learn and I am open to any and all advice, guidance and wisdom you gentlemen have to impart.
Blessings,
Clint
"Smoking to the Glory of God" -C.H. Spurgeon

lightmyfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 23, 2013
Belgium
Hello everyone,

My name is François and I live in Belgium. Fan of pipes & tobaccos like all of you I guess, needless to write that in fact :)
I love to repair and give cures to my pipes and the ones of my friends, also active on french forums & ebay etc...
I am proud to be member of this family and will have pleasure to read your topics here and intervene but of course mostly learn, because we always learn from each others, even after many years of smoking pleasure...
'Carpe Pipem...'

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
Hello to everyone,
I've lurked here for a week or two. I decided to join after realizing this is a great community. I'm originally a cigar smoker, and casually got into pipes in 2008. At that time I was smoking mostly Dunhill blends such as Nightcap, EMP, and My Mixture 965. I took a break from the pipe for 2-3 years, and came back in Aug 2013. I was still getting emails from smokingpipes, and saw one about Christmas Cheer 2013 being released. So that was the catalyst that got me smoking my pipe again. In the last few months, I've learned that I like Virginia, Va/Per, and Va/Bur blends more than the Latakia blends, and I also like pipes a whole lot more than cigars. I'm looking forward to learning more about this great hobby.
Justin

sparkyspipes

Lurker
May 8, 2013
Hey all, I am Scott, Known as Sparkyspipes. I am a Pipe carver from Central Washington state, a father of 2 with a wonderful wife that spoils me rotten. Pipe smoking and Carving is my Passion!

Really glad to be part of the forums. I have not been to active in posting but really enjoy reading the forum.

Keep it smoking

scott

elmo

Lurker
Jul 20, 2013
Hi all

My name's Dean from south west wales Uk,been a member for a bit but was so busy reading all the fantastic posts forgot to introduce myself

Been pipe restoring & smoking for quite a few years now and would love to learn any new techniques people are using or share the one's that i use

Have quite a good knowledge of european pipes but would like to learn about some american pipe makers, only recently bought an ed burak which is on its way to me now ,looking forward to trying it & chatting with everyone on here :)
thanks

Dean

robertelliott

Lurker
Nov 5, 2012
Hello Everybody... My name is Robert Elliott. I have been a member for almost close

to a year. I have been smoking a pipe for 30 years . My hobbies include

fishing, building models/ ships and planes and anything on world war 11 .

I will be glad to get to know everybody in time and my hope is that I may make a

positive contribution to this forum .

Thankyou, Robert Elliott

houndstooth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2013
Greetings, and Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate it!
I am 48, live in Pasadena, CA, and am fairly new to pipes. I bought my first pipe about 3 years ago, and smoked it very infrequently, but have since started to take it up more regularly, and have picked up a few more pipes. It's going to take a while to break them in at the rate I smoke, which is mostly on the weekends.
I recently asked Rad Davis to make me a blasted Zulu after seeing a beautiful one in a thread on this forum, and will hopefully have one added to my collection within a month or two.
I'm exploring a lot of different pipe tobacco blends, and find I like both Aro's and English styles. I like the Latakia component in the English blends I've tried. I hope to learn about the nuances of other tobacco types, like Perique, but I don't think I have yet figured out what that contributes, exactly to the blends I have that have it as a component. I have read about the spicy quality, and understand that it's fermented over about a year, and the good stuff (true perique) comes from a small area in St. Jame's Parish of Louisiana. Anyway, learning about all of this has been great fun, and I am enjoying reading a lot of threads on these forums.
So far I have acquired the following blends, although I have not yet tried them all: Frog Morton's OTT, Frog Morton's Cellar, Deep Hollow, Haddo's Delight, Dunhill Flake, a Deluxe Bullseye Flake, Maltese Falcon, Lane's 1Q, and from a local B&M: a Rum aro, Father Dempsey's blend, Danny Kaye's blend.
Finally, I'm going to try my hand at making a pipe or two, and have purchased a pre drilled kit to attempt my first pipe that I think I will try to shape into a panel billiard.
Sorry for the long intro post.
Thanks!

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.