PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juddeern

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
Hi, I'm a 30 year old smoker for the last 10 years ish, from pennsylvania.
Thought I would share a pic of my current collection:

I live with my wife of two years and two year old son. When I first started smoking a cob back when we first met all those years ago she teased me to no end and now she supports my habit!
I found the site when I was looking for reviews for different exotic woods. I'm enjoying reading through the various threads there is a LOT to take in.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
Juddeern:
Welcome to the Forums. Post often and respond often as well. A quite nice collection. Mine too, has grown as I have added six new "estate" pipes around $50. each this year in what the Forum has designated as a PAD....pipe aquisition disorder. With the pie also comes the requisite TAD Tobacco aquisition disorder as well. Beware this problem as it seems to NEVER go away.

juddeern

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
PAD and TAD huh? does it count if folks are giving you more pipes then you have room for? The MacArthur, lattice work Meer, Bruyere, dragon claw Meer, Clay, Warden (Which my room bought for me broke it and replaced) and Dr Grabow were all gifts... good grief... I've only ever bought lemme see 2 cobs one shit shire rosewood pipe and one straight stem brier that came with a pouch I wanted as a set which in hindsight... I think I gave away both pouch and pipe...
hmmm lemme think... in terms of TAD... 3lb's of Mac Baren's Black Ambrosia, a "bucket" of Carter Hall, some minor "pouch" type tobacco i've smoked a few times and either quit smoking or didn't like well enough to continue and several tins of Borkum Riff, again the rest like Exhausted Rooster... losing train of thought what the heck is Exhausted Rooster anyway? I haven't been adventurous enough to try it yet were given to me.

ascarypotato

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
Just dropping in here to say 'Hi'. I've been smoking a pipe for a while, and I've been lurking around here since I started, about a year ago.
I started back in December 2012 with a cheap and nasty (I'm aware these two terms are not necessarily interchangeable, but they certainly were with this one....) Churchwarden. The stem was blocked somewhere in the middle so that a pipe cleaner couldn't even pass through the stem. I didn't even realise that this wasn't normal at the time.... Still. Started off with some black cavendish, which was quite pleasant, once I actually got the stuff to light (it was way, way too wet - not that I knew this at the time!) After a few days, and a few attempts, I realised that the pipe itself was useless, and bought a basic basket pipe, (which I still use - it's not great, but it works OK, and I'm not going to lose any sleep if (say) I dropped it and it broke) with the advice of the nice lady who runs the tobacconists in Glasgow city centre (yes, I'm living in Glasgow, although I'm originally from the south of England). I also bought some Brookfield black bourbon, which was about 1,000,000 times better than the black cavendish I'd bought first.
Moved through the usual 'try loads of aromatics' - I still enjoy an aromatic, particularly when smoking in the car on the way home from work - I've always had good success with the Peterson Aromatics, summertime, annual special editions and christmas ones, but other than that I've moved more towards simpler blends - Dunhill EMP, Rattray's Old Gowrie, and more and more, Dunhill Flake.
I love trying new things, but I try not to have too many different things open at once - at the moment, I've got some old Gowrie, Dunhill Flake, Bob's Chocolate flake, some Peterson Christmas 2011, and some Peterson 2013 special reserve open, but there's about 20 different tins sat in my wardrobe to be opened.
I've picked up a number of pipes (doesn't everyone?) including a lovely (to my eye) unstained Invicta Italian Plateau briar, which seems to smoke anything (including aros) cool and dry. My other favourite pipes include a straight falcon (there's a couple of bowls (an apple and a rusticated dublin), which I switch between) - which is usually my 'in-car' pipe - the small bowl suits my drive homewards, another Invicta (a Colin Fromm made '#1') which tends to be my go-to out and about pipe - it's also the only one that's ever received comments about being a 'nice looking pipe' (generally followed by 'don't see many of them about these days, do you....')
I find pipe smoking particularly relaxing, and manage a bowl most days (usually on the way home from work (I run the quality team for a large whisky producer, FWIW - it's quite stressful - particularly at this time of year!) with a few at weekends (I've got a bowl of Old Gowrie sat at my side, ready to light once I finish typing this post, and I've hung the washing up) and I prefer a zippo to light (preferring to smoke outdoors, I've never found a particularly windproof gas lighter, and up here matches are (as Monty Python might put it) 'Right Out'.
Unusually (or so I'm told) I have absolutely no preference to size, shape or weight (Well, at any given point, I'll want a specific size, shape and weight, but as a matter of course, I collect everything!) my collection ranges from a 25g Ashton Cutty, to the 150g Plateau briar, with bowl sizes ranging from 'can barely get my index finger in' to 'swallows my thumb, and can't reach the bottom'.
I've recently built myself a prototype pipe rack out of a couple of (slightly damaged) fancy whisky boxes. I'll post a photo at some point, which will show my collection too.
Living in Britain, land of super-high-tobacco-taxation, I've not bought any large bulk (the largest I've bought is 100g tins) packs, although I'm off to Poland to have a look at Vodka distillation in early December, and hope to bring some back then!
My wife's quite happy to join me for a bowl, (although she prefers a mini cigar - Cafe Creme blue generally) and she's got a small Acorn which she uses when she fancies one of her own. I also enjoy a good cigar, but usually stick to pipes (1 cigar, or a 50g tin?). I also enjoy a pinch of heavily mentholated snuff on a regular basis.
But that's it for vices. Apart from a love of Whisky (particularly highly peated Islays, although 18YO Macallan Sherry Oak is my all-time-favourite) and a minor addiction to Maltesers and Peanut-butter M&Ms (when I can convince someone to bring me some back from the USA)
Anyway. Wasn't intending to post my life story, but there you go.
Hi!

mathoozula

Might Stick Around
Nov 25, 2013
My name is Christopher. I am from West Virginia. I enjoy hunting, fishing, and guitars.
I have been dabbling in Captain Black for about a year and I am looking forward to kicking the cigarettes and just enjoying my pipes.
I am also looking forward to making my first "real" briar purchase as the stigma of smoking a corn cob in WV just shouts hillbilly. But Im OK with it though. The MM corn cobs are about the best smokers I've tried so far..
I believe it was Sutliff's The Great Outdoors blend that just reminds me of a fall day that got me hooked on pipes.
I was a cigar smoker for awhile and was completely content with smoking one cigar a day in the evening. But when it got cold in the winter, I would not smoke the stinky things in the house. However, I could go days without smoking a cigar and believed that I was not as addicted to the nicotine for such a reason. But alas, cigars were too expensive for my pocketbook and I succumbed to the cigarettes again.
Now, I am looking forward to taking up the hobby of pipe smoking as I believe it to be less addicting and therefore less sinful. As a hot smoker myself, I haven't been able to make a bowl last hours (but that could be the choice of tobaccos) probably because I'm trying to get a nic fix from it. I now have an e-cig and I am going to ween myself off the cigarettes and just enjoy my pipes. Wish me luck.
Oh, and I was a big maduro cigar smoker, and thanks to anyone can recommend any blends that are any good.

iaeen

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
Hi everyone!
I've been smoking pipes off and on for about 5 years now, and have lately been getting more into it. I've also been lurking for a while now, and thought I would jump in and join the party!

bill708

Lurker
Nov 30, 2013
Good morning everyone! I awake about 6:30 in the morning. After breakfast, I light my first pipe of the day! It is the best way to start the day! I smoke a lot before noon, and begin to slow down at noon. Yesterday, I watched some amazing football games! Hope the games today are as exciting.

nyamuk

Lurker
Nov 28, 2013
Hello!
My name is Cody, I am currently in the United States Air Force and am slowly amassing a large (to me) pipe collection and a very scattered tobacco selection as well. I travel a lot so I try to buy a tin of whatever catches my eye when I go somewhere. My current pipe collection is 2 Meerschaums, around 10 cobs, and a newly acquired Nording signature. I am a beginner in every since of the word and welcome any input from everyone. I enjoy smoking a pipe cause it forces me to stop and slow down and think about everything that has happened in my day.
I grew up with an elderly neighbor that always smoked Prince Albert out of a briar and I was always fascinated with the smell and the pipes that he had. I blame him for my desire to take up a pipe, and I haven't regretted it. Thanks for letting me be here.
Cody

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Hello everybody. Have been lurking in the shadows for several months now. Thought I would at last introduce myself. My name is David and I live in Forney, Tx about 25 miles east of Dallas. I'm 55 and started smoking a pipe about 6 months ago. Was introduced to the art by my son-in-law at a family get-together back then. The wife and I were at his parents place with some of his friends. We were all sitting around a table on the back patio and all of a sudden he and his friends pulled out their pipes and started lighting up. I was surprised as that had never happened in my experience before.
They offered me a pipe to join in but I declined at the time. However the seeds of interest were planted, and that's when I found this website and have been an almost daily inquirer here ever since. I am most grateful for all the information, wisdom, humor, and comraderie that I find here. Everything I know has come from several of you fine people.
I am still searching for the type of blends that most appeal to me, but I have a good smattering of all of them. I seem to not dislike any of them, but find all so far agreeable, whether that be Virginia mixes, Englishes, or aeros. Just taking my time trying to find the types that appeal to me the most.
Just wanted to say hello. May the pipes be with you.

jedediahsmith

Lurker
Dec 3, 2013
Like the last poster, I have been a lurker here for some time and found that this is definitely the place for good, friendly advice on the brotherhood of the briar. I needed some since I was inspired to take up pipe smoking just a little over a year ago and didn't know where to start.
My initial inspiration for looking into pipe smoking came from feelings of nostalgia (a by-product of passing 50 I guess) for the small town I grew up in and the very old fashioned mall there. Included among the many locally-owned mom and pop shops in that mall was a tobacconist. As a boy I would walk slowly by the door, smelling the wonderful aromas of all the exotic blends. Cigarettes had no attraction for me then and still don't. But this was something different.
So I decided to look into pipe smoking and see if it was to my liking. I'm very happy to report that it is. I started off with a couple of Dr. Grabows and some sampler packets of different blends. I added a meerschaum to my collection a few months ago and hope to find a nice billiard soon. So far, I have been leaning toward aromatics like Nording's Hunter blends, but Larry's Blend has also confirmed the attraction to English for me as well.
So that's my hello to the group. Now I've just gotta find a pic to put on my profile.
Smitty

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
What's going on fellow pipers!
My name is Arnold, 27 years old, and I'm from Sacramento, California. Dunno how much to tell of myself, but I skateboard, play Dota 2, work to support my hobbies of skateboarding and pipes, and always look forward to the end of the work day to finally go skate and have a full bowl.
I've only just started the pipe hobby maybe a month or two ago. I've always had this fascination for smoking cigars and pipes while growing up. I always saw it as a manly thing to do and it looked damn cool. I never bothered taking up either as I always thought it was "too rich for my blood." Then, around earlier this year, I decided to take up cigars, figured to heck with the whole "too rich for my blood" mental block. For the better part of the year, I smoked cigars every week with my group of botls who were just getting into it shortly after I did (my older brother and 2 cousins). For some reason or other, my interest in cigars started to dwindle (not enough to make me quit, however), and my interest in pipes started to build.
What piqued my interest in pipes was at work, there would always be this man who smoked a pipe during his breaks. Same time everyday, same table, always reading a book, smoking a pipe, stroking his beard. Every time I passed by, it would always smell like vanilla or chocolate and sometimes a sweet BBQ-y smell. After seeing him one day, I decided to get started. Lurked around various online forums (that's how I landed here a few months back), watched YouTube videos, and then I found myself getting a pouch of CBW and a MM cob at my local WalGreens. Next thing I know, every time I visit my b&m, Tobacco Road, I'm buying pipe tobacco instead of cigars and checking out pipes instead of cigars. It makes me wish that I started pipes instead of cigars from the get-go. As of right now, aside from that MM cob, I have a Brog Amigo and a Savinelli Trevi in rotation. And believe me, the pipe family will continue to grow!
Anyways, I'm looking forward to being an active member in this community!

frankenstein

Might Stick Around
Dec 7, 2013
Hi everybody!
In exile from smokersforums.co.uk kashmir recommended me to join this forum instead. Been looking around the last couple of days and I like what I've seen. Nice and open discussions.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Hi everyone.

Just about 1 years ago I started smoking pipes and right a way fell into pipes and tobacco.

My circumstance no one smoke pipes except me in town at least that's what I feeling.

Well still I like smoking pipes everyday. Very nice meet you Lady and Gen.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Hello fellow Puffers! I am a long time on and off pipe smoker (since 1985) and lurker for some time on this forum. I iniially started with a Peterson Std System 301 that I still have and some Captain Black White label. As I said I've smoked a pipe off & on over the past 30 years. My pipe collection is a modest 14 pipes and my current fave bakky is 4th Gen 1957. A very exceptional yesr if I say so myself. I'll leave you to guess why. 4th Gen 1855 is my "change up" smoke.
I really enjoy this PM forum and have learned alot I didn't know before. thanx all for sharing your knowledge.
Dave

doctoronln9

Lurker
Oct 23, 2013
Hey everyone!
I'm Bryan, 25 years old, and been a pipe smoker since February of this year. Just under a year now! It started when I got sick to death of cigarettes and tired of fussing with my eCigarettes, and wanted something that wouldn't disappoint. Since then, I've expanded to cigars as well, but pipes have become something of a minor obsession. If it weren't for my fiancee and my current unemployment, I'd have a lot more pipes in my rotation and a lot more debt. :P
I was lucky enough to have a Edward's Pipe and Cigar store near me and started off with a inexpensive, well-made set of briars and bulk tobaccos. Since then, I've added several MM Cobs and a set of Dr. Grabow briars, and one cheap Chinese pipe that went in the trash when it lit on fire after one smoke. I've been lurking on pipes magazine's forums since I started, and can thank the majority of the posters for their advice over the years. This forum has been my go-to guide for pipe related questions since I started.
Hope to contribute some myself now!

super8mm

Might Stick Around
Dec 15, 2013
Hello Everyone, My name is Steve and I live in the Dallas/Ft Worth metromess. I smoked cigarettes for over 40 years and during that time I tried a pipe several times but never much success at it.
I found out 2 years ago that my heritage was Scottish and while looking for Scottish pipes I found this site full of information. To put my new found knowledge to the test I picked up a nice Bent Peterson Shamrock 2010 and a bag of Irish Puff (I think it is a store mix) which is mild and smooth. Then I watched the how to pack a pipe videos several time over and gave it a try. Well the new pipe said to do about ½ bowls for starters and I did and I was amazed that I got over 1 ½ hour from that half bowl. I was sitting outside watching the dogs chase squirrels with some coffee and have a very nice relaxing time.
Thanks everyone for such a nice and helpful forum

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Greets people!
My name is Phil and I’ve been haunting this site with its wealth of information for about two weeks. I’m 67 years old, retired and the last time I picked up a pipe was about 34 years ago. It was a pathetic and a failed experience as I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. However, at the time I gave a try at smoking a pipe I was under the misguided impression that you simply filled up the pipe, lit it, and then smoked the entire bowl. I could not for the life of me keep the damn thing lit, re-lighting, sucking my brains out, and then getting a horrible taste! Sound familiar?
Of course at that time there was no Internet and the plethora of information that one can now easily obtain on just about any subject under the sun. With that said, here I am once again trying, with a tad more information at my hands than last time, in trying to adapt and gain the pleasure (hopefully) of pipe smoking. I’m quite a heavy smoker of cigarettes, but I figure that anytime I’m smoking a pipe I’ll not be smoking those damnable coffin nails. And, who knows, if by chance I really enjoy it I’ll pick up the pipe more often than the cigs. I’ve always been one to jump in with both feet so I just recently got a Savinelli Oscar Tiger, two MM corncobs with some Lanes 1Q and Captain Black (dark). So far so good albeit I’m still trying to get the packing down just right. The pipes seem to smoke quite well and I was quite surprised at how well the MM cobs are. Being retired and living on a pension isn’t very conducive to spending as I used to, but I already have my eye on a Peterson Churchwarden (for some reason I really like the looks of that pipe). Sorry for being so long winded, but I’ll surely check in again with the usual neophyte questions. :wink:

rigormootis

Lurker
Dec 17, 2013
WI
Hello folks --
I'm checking in here to introduce myself.
Basic story:
My wife and I finally made it back to our roots (WI) about 8 years ago and we've now settled in and started our brood. I'm an academic happily teaching at a small liberal arts college -- and no longer doing the "publish or perish" rat race. I'm also a fmr. Marine (CID), director of my local gun club, an avid canoeist, backpacker, hunter, etc. I smoke mostly English blends in briars and cobs. Here's me and my fraulein this past Octoberfest --- I think I'm smoking one of my Bjarnes and quaffing some of my homebrew.
Go Pack!
-Chris
octoberfest1_zpsd52ec5e4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.