PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
<p>Hello to everyone! A SW PA resident here who's been lurking for a while and enjoying all the threads and posts. I've been smoking pipes for 14 years (I'm 53) with some detours in and out of the cigar world. I'm feeling very much like its time to stay strictly with pipes and all the delicious tobacco offerings permanently since I just find the hobby so relaxing and contemplative. I have been through some severe bouts of PAD and TAD over the years and consider myself a recovering pipeaholic.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Hello Folks, and greetings from New Hampshire
My name is Jim and I've been smoking pipes (and cigars) since I was a teenager thirty years ago. My best friend's father was a pipe and cigar smoker whom I respect very much and it was he who inspired me to take up the pastime.
Initially I smoked whatever I could afford - Captain Black, Borkum Riff and the like - eventually working up to the house blends. Started with inexpensive briar pipes.
Now in my middle age, I am a Peterson nut; both the tobacco and the pipes. I have the following pipes:
Peterson House Pipe Straight Silver Cap Billiard P-Lip

Peterson Sherlock Holmes Strand Red Spray Pipe P-Lip

Peterson Sherlock Holmes Le Strade Red Spray Pipe P-Lip

Peterson River Collection Deluxe Pipe ERNE Fishtail

Peterson River Collection Deluxe Pipe SUIR Fishtail

Peterson River Collection Deluxe Pipe BOYNE Fishtail

Peterson Aran 606 Fishtail

Peterson Aran 999 Fishtail
I plan on picking up a few more Petersons; I especially like the Sherlock Holmes and Collection pipes. These all are amazing pipes, and fine smokers, but I have to exclaim that smoking the Silver-Cap House Pipe is an amazing experience, second to no other pipe in my experience.
My favorite pipe tobacco so far (of the Peterson brand; I've tried them all) is Old Dublin, followed by Irish Whiskey and Irish Oak. However I do plan on trying some of G. L. Pease's blends, as a local tobacconist carries these. I would also like to try some of the Peterson Special Reserves.
Smoke well,

Jim
Pipes.jpg

kibo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 22, 2014
SW PA
Hey all, I'm Kibo from the Steel City, glad to be here, and just wanted say thank you all for the wonderful compendium of pipe knowledge here. I read the forums a good deal, and learned great things about pipe restoration (I inherited 4 of my great grandfather's pipes and got 2 older pipes at a flea market for $10 and managed to clean them all successfully into lovely smokers) and tobaccos. Now I just need to get one burning question answered and I'll be in my glory! My current favorite tobaccos are Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold, a home mix of Peter Stokkebye's Danish Export and Norwegian Blend, and Tinder Box Norse Gold(if I can ever find out what the bulk is, so I don't have to keep mail ordering it, I'll be a happy guy). My pipes are a Lorenzo Lectura, a Medico Big Bulldog estate pipe, a Whitehall Gulfstream estate, a Carey Magic Inch estate, a new European barrel pipe of unknown make, and a steel bowled Chinese made el-cheapo(for new 'baccies...it might be cheap, but it gives an honest flavor). Sorry for being longwinded!

tsmith

Lurker
Feb 14, 2014
Hello fellow pipe smokers and greetings from Portland, Oregon!​
I am recently back into the fold after about a 15 year hiatus from pipe smoking. I started smoking a pipe at around 18 years old until I mistakenly switched to cigarettes.
Around 6 months ago, I stopped into a tobacco shop for a pack of cigarettes, and walked out with with a new no-name Greek briar and a couple of ounces of Lane 1Q. It was one of the best decisions I've made in the past couple of years. My now constant quest for different tobaccos to try led me to this site, and the great information and sense of community is what prompted me to sign up and finally post after months of lurking.
Although smoking isn't at all popular in this area, there are some great tobacco shops with close knit communities built up around them. A search on this website is what led me to the shop I now visit at least once a week. My most recent find is Mac Baren's Dark Twist, which I'm using to break in a brand new Vauen Billiard. In addition to the previously mentioned Greek briar, I also have a couple of Missouri Meerschaums for giving the briars a break. There is also a small meerschaum for a short smoke that my wife will try from time to time when I get a particularly good smelling tobacco.
After only 6 months back, I have no desire whatsoever to pick up a cigarette again and am questioning both my sanity and sobriety at the time I decided cigarettes were a more practical option for me. I can't wait to get my latest tobacco order and keep building my collection back to where it was all those years ago. Of course I will keep up on my weekly shop visits as well...I've found some great tobaccos from just listening to other customers and the staff there.
Now it's time for a smoke...a thank you to this site for the great information and to all of the members who don't mind sharing their knowledge.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
Hello to all. I am new to smoking pipes. Just got into it about 3 weeks ago. I bought a Butz-Choquin Regence along with some Golden Dansk and Dansk Black also some 1-Q and BCA. I don't like any of the baccy and the pipe I also didn't like(could not keep a bowl lit to save my life). I almost gave up the hobby after a week but found this forum and did some reading. I am glad I did because I am now loving the hobby. I just recently picked up a new MeerQueen Meerschaum Large Billard and my smoking experience is 100% better with that pipe. I am sure some of the new tobacco helped also. Picked up some Frogs got FM, FM OTT and FM OTB I love them all. I got some McClelland Mixture no. 1 and Matured cake both are ok not great but not bad. I smoked my first bowl of NightCap this evening and it knocked my socks off I loved it the EMP is ok but not nearly as good as the NightCap. Needless to say I looked at some reviews and ordered some more tobacco to try I think I am already hooked.

ruger414

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 25, 2014
United States
Hey everybody!
I'm fairly new to pipe smoking (only been at it for about a year or so), but while doing research on a new pipe I'm interested in I stumbled onto these forums and decided that I had to join! I'm 18 years old (soon to be 19) and I go to college in New Orleans. Everybody here is big on cigars and I have yet to find one decent pipe and tobacco shop. If any of you know one in the area let me know!
I'm a history major and in the ROTC program at Tulane University. Following in the footsteps of General MacArthur I smoke a Missouri Meerschaum from time to time, but my go to pipe is a Dr. Grabow. Captain Black was the first tobacco I smoked and I love it. I know it's not the best but I get that rush of nostalgia whenever I open a new pouch and it just smells right.
Anyways, I look forward to getting to know ya'll and learn from your collective years of wisdom!
Thanks!

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
A big HELLO to all those participating the fórums
I bought my first pipe, a Kings Cross Featherweight, about 20 years ago knowing that I was going to be a pipe smoker at some point in my life. I chose the pipe for both its look and size. Though I had never smoked any form of tobacco previously, pipe smoking seemed dignified, and I just knew I was going to like it, someday. Well the day finally arrived about 6 or 7 months ago, but not before spending a month or two reading through tons of these forums and watching too many YouTube videos, all of which have been very helpful.
I´m currently on a quest to find a few varieties of tobacco that suit my taste and so far the journey has had its bumps, but I´m getting things slowly worked out.
Through what I read in the forums at this site, I decided I was more of an English mixture kind of guy. What I hadn’t counted on was the dire situation pipe smokers face here in Mexico. This may sound hard to believe but it’s illegal to receive even a single tin of pipe tobacco by mail or courier. And the situation in the tobacco shops, or should I say cigar shops, is hopeless. I decided to start with some cigar leaf as I wasn’t prepared to put cheap aros in my pretty little pipe. Then I got hold of some old stock of some Exclusiv Royal, a German OTC that comes in a blue and white pouch. Over time I developed a taste for it; I´m sure it’s the Oriental in the blend that’s providing the satisfying flavor and delicious aftertaste. I finally got hold of a tin of Irish Oak by Peterson and was really excited about trying it in my new Aran 106. It turned out to be an unusual smoking experience as the smoke tastes very smooth through the mouth (the Virginia I imagine) but then seems to kick you in the back of the throat, leaving an unpleasant scratchy sensation. Could this be the Perique?
My next objective will be to give some Dunhill blends a chance and see if that’s what my taste buds are looking for. I know everyone has their own preferences, but I’ve found the varying opinions in the tobacco reviews to be extremely helpful.
I look forward to participating in the forums and will be pleased to receive any suggestions or tips from those who truly appreciate a relaxing bowl of delicious tobacco.

eolverine

Lurker
Mar 23, 2014
Canada
Hey fellow smokers! I'm 20 years old, and I live in Alberta, Canada. I've been smoking pipes for nearly 6 months now, and I love it. I bought my first pipe a few weeks before halloween, a Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Mountain pipe, as a part of a Sherlock Holmes costume. I decided to learn to smoke it properly so that I could light it up and look the part for halloween. I ended up really enjoying it, and I continued to smoke it even after halloween was over. About a month later I picked one of the MM bag of smokable seconds, and I finally had myself a rotation. I starting collecting different tobaccos to try, and I found myself smoking quite often. About a month ago I went out and bought my first proper briar, a Brigham Algonquin. I loved it so much that less than a week later I bought a Brigham Voyager. I really love this hobby, and I hope to keep doing it for years to come!

dacor

Lurker
Mar 29, 2014
Québec, Canada
Hi everybody!
I have still not smoke a pipe yet, but I've read about it since last summer. I wanted to be really sure it is worth the money and time, but after I've read 2 books on pipe smoking and half this forum, I thought it would be time to switch form theory to practice. All I have ever smoke in my life is two cigars, but I'm mysteriously attracted by pipe smoking!
So here I am. I'm about to buy my first pipe, some sample of tobacco, and jump in this world.

Oh and, I am a student in Laval University, Quebec City, Canada (that would explain my english mistakes, if you see some), so hello to my canadian fellows, especially those who live in Quebec!

bubbajab

Lurker
Mar 30, 2014
Newbie here!

Thanks for letting me aboard. I'm fairly new to pipe smoking but I enjoy it a lot. I've also enjoyed reading all the great info on this forum and look forward to much more. Thanks again for the opportunity to join ya!

ynotjt

Lurker
Mar 31, 2014
Hello to everyone. When it comes to pipe smoking, I'm as wet behind the ears as you were on the night of your junior prom. *Deep breath* Now that is out of the way, I'm JT and my screen name ask the question, "why not?". It's a mantra of sorts. Anyway, I'm 27, currently reside in Texas, and live this life the best I know how.
With that being said, pipe smoking is new to me (will smoke my first bowl tonight), but it has always intrigued me, mainly because some of my favorite figures in history were pipe smokers... so why not give it a go myself? After reading a lot of these threads, I've come to realize that smoking a pipe is a right of passage, so I look forward to embarking on this adventure with y'all.
Lastly, since this is an intro, I hope y'all will learn to appreciate my wit and humor and respect my curiosity. I ask and say things to incite dialogue and laughter; not to ignite frustration or distaste.
Cheers!

oldsoul67

Lurker
Mar 31, 2014
Greetings everyone!
I have only recently (maybe 3 weeks or a month) started my journey with a pipe. It is one simply by chance that I took. You see, I am a regular cigarette smoker and have found that the expense of that habit led me to "roll your owns". While picking up some tubes, I saw some Missouri meer minis there and picked one up. It was then that I found the relaxation qualities it had and as a police officer, that is a true discovery.
Anyway, as with most who are new to the pipe experience, I thought one would just fill a pipe and smoke it. After a bit of looking around, I found there were methods to packing, lighting, care, rotations ect... and what a revelation! I suppose that if any veteran smoker were to see what tobacco I have and the mini pipe I use, they would be horrified.
I live in a very rural area in Indiana with the closest town of any size being Bloomington so my choices are few. Thankfully however wit the advent of computers coupled with the likes of UPS and FedEx, I hope my journey is yet to begin. I seem to be drawn in by the apparent ease of cobs and the bent shape like a savoy, so I have a few cobs on the way. I plan to get a wood of some sort for the outdoors and rain as I do love to fish.
As is the obvious, I love to write. Let me know if you have some wisdom to impart to a new smoker as I take my first steps.
Until Then......

rasselass

Lurker
Apr 3, 2014
Hello All,i'm from Bushmills,Northern Ireland,been smoking a pipe for 45 years,my favourite pipe is B.B.&S. "the londoner"(Barling bent),favourite tobacco "Condor ready rubbed"...i'm new to this internet and think its terrific this site exists and is full of interest to all pipesmokers and i've had many enjoyable hours reading the numerous and interesting views here...Good Luck and as we say over here....Keep her lit.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Got to thinking about it and I don't believe I ever introduced my self on the site officially. Anyway, I am 65 years old and smoked my first pipe during wheat harvest back in the 60's. I smoked a number of pipes over the next 10 years and also started smoking cigs. At 29 I went back to school and gave up smoking altogether.

About 9 months ago I started back with a pipe. Where I once inhaled I found there was no need to when I started back with pipes only. I have tried a great number of tobacco's and recently settled down with several Boswell's blends and a great aromatic from Milan Tobacconist called "Butter Berry" it is fantastic. I have been distracted with some personal issues the past 6 month, but am now back and ready to move on. I have enjoyed all the site information and have used it heavily to buy many pipes.Pleased as a fat puppy to be here.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I hope you're all well. My name is Peter. I started with a pipe not to long ago. I have many questions and a few tobaccos to trade as buying something I'm going to like and smoke on the regular tends to be a dice roll for me. Looking forward to chatting with some of you.

moosecop

Lurker
Feb 13, 2014
Greetings.. Ive been here for a while but have not posted as a new member yet.. Ive been on a few of the forums and am amazed at the information found here... Im near Milwaukee and have been smoking a pipe off and on for 20 years.. more on the last 5.. Im not sure if my profile pic is showing yet..Mark

bootastic

Lurker
Apr 6, 2014
Hey yall, I am new to pipe smoking so I thought I would join this site. I used to smoke cigarettes and cigars but never a pipe until recently. I always kinda wanted to try it so I finally got around to it. I currently have a couple of corncob pipes.

May 25, 2013
Greetings! :) I'm Caleb and as my name implies I'm native american. Not completely, just more than any one other thing. Anyways, I am from Oregon, more specifically the Willamette Valley and am 19 years old, 20 in August. I tried pipe smoking when I was 18 and found my uncle's pipe that he had bought in college 7 or 8 years before. My parents smoke cigarettes and since they had some bulk "pipe tobacco" as the bag said, I gave it a shot. Since it was basically roll your own tobacco it wasn't great, but I liked the silky feeling and after a few more times I identified and aquired the taste for tobacco. Soon after I bought some Holger Dansk Original Mild Orange and that's when I found the rabbit hole. My next purchases is what shoved me in and Wonderland has been the result. My favorite tobacco, so far, has been Altadis (now sutliff) Frosty Mint. I have somewhat of an obsession with mint flavored things and that was like heaven to me.
I came to this forum because I was reading the posts and whatnot and saw how great of a resource is here; the collective knowledge of so many people and on top of that, they are friendly! So, I thought I'd join, try to learn, share my experiences, and when my time comes, help out other people from my own knowledge. Thanks for having me!

Status
Not open for further replies.