PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cypress18

Lurker
Mar 2, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Greetings! I just picked up the pipe again since putting it down about 14 years ago. Back then I only smoked aromatics because I didn't know anything else existed. I had always liked pipe tobacco because it smelled good... so much nicer than cigarettes.
My previous preference was for cherry black cavendish mixed with something called "Honey Blonde English" that came from my local tobacco store. It was my own mixture and I thought I was very clever for putting it together. Reading this forum has expanded my pipe knowledge and tobacco vocabulary... I'm learning that not all tobaccos have to be aromatics, and I'm looking forward to trying new ones like Latakia & Perique.
Recently I picked up an old Hardcastle estate pipe and bought some James Fox Provost just to try out a non-aromatic. It was a nice experience, and one that I think I'd like to continue.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
Welcome Cypress18, you have found a great forum here and there is a lot of knowledge to be found. I am really enjoying the forum, it's great for the long winter days. There is so much to learn here or just hang out and welcome the new members to the forum. I an new myself and it's amazing how many people have joined since I have.

Mar 3, 2014
Hello there fellow pipe smokers,
My name is Krister and I´m from Stockholm, Sweden and are 39 years old (when the hell did that happen!!).
I´m fairly new to pipe smoking even though I did give it a go several years ago. Six months ago I decided to give it another go and bought a fairly decent pipe and some Savinellis English mixture. After some initial failures (read toungue burn of the third degree) I now consider a day without a bowl of nice Tobacco a pretty much wasted day.
Very fond of latakia blends but try to sample a bit of everything except aromatics (havent got a sweet tooth).

cypress18

Lurker
Mar 2, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Welcome Cypress18, you have found a great forum here and there is a lot of knowledge to be found. I am really enjoying the forum, it's great for the long winter days. There is so much to learn here or just hang out and welcome the new members to the forum. I an new myself and it's amazing how many people have joined since I have.
Thanks Judd. Yeah there seems to be a lot to learn here. I have also been enjoying YouTube videos. So far my favorite pipe presenters are Matches860 and Sabrinafied, but I don't think Sabrina is doing videos any more.
Slightlywickednickname--sorry to hear about the tongue bite/burn. Ouch! Maybe slow down a bit? :) Also, if your tobacco is too wet you may feel the need to puff on it more to keep it lit. More puffing = hotter bowl, and possibly a burnt tongue.

Mar 3, 2014
Cypress18 -- Haha the toungue burn was just an initial set back, you live and learn. I have been enjoying months of pipe smoking without scorching myself, much thank to this forum!

verse

Lurker
Mar 6, 2014
Hey fellow artisans,
Very new to the culture...but feel the draw strongly. My Grandfather was a pipe smoker and I always loved to go into his den just to take in the sweet smells and soak in the essence. I love the whole ceremony of pipe smoking...it takes me to another place; especially the high nic tobaccos :) I have been experimenting with a few different types and blends and am loving it more than I could have imagined...just what I needed..another addiction :)
Anyway...just wanted to say hi and appreciate many of the posts that I have read over the past months.
Looking forward to sharing the experience!

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
Hey folks,
I'm from Beijing, China, 35 :)
Just quit smoking cigarettes and turned to pipe half a year ago. I am feeling happy each day. Straight VAs or VaPers are my favorite, though occasionally I would pack a bow of English mixture.
I am learning everything I may find by all means :)

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
Hi all: new member here; I live in eastern Ontario, Canada, on the edge of Algonquin Park. I'm 46, married (second time lucky) with four cats. I've been smoking the occasional cigar on and off since the late 1990s, and back in January decided to pick up a pipe more or less on a lark.
Boy was I surprised. I'd thought the world of cigars was interesting, but pipes and pipe tobacco are on a whole other level; the history, the evolution of pipes and the changing styles, and the complexity and diversity of the pipe tobacco world are fascinating. My current favourite tobacco is Blatter & Blatter London, which I gather is a mild English blend. I've picked up a few pipes; my current favourite is a Rossi 8320 (basically a Savinelli 320 Author without the filter) in a nice smooth dark finish. I'm looking at maybe a rusticated Bulldog or Rhodesian next.
Other interests include hunting, fishing, shooting, running, kayak touring, and karate (Goju-ryu).
Happy to make your acquaintance!

magicmike

Lurker
Mar 11, 2014
Greetings everyone. I am a new member. I live in Fort Smith, Arkansas. I recently started pipe smoking. My current favorite tobacco is Frog Morton. My current selection of pipes include a Neerup, Radice, and JnJ. I am also an avid fly fisherman and kayaker with a heavy interest in hand made cane fly rods. I have lurked about on this forum for about 3 months and have learned alot of information. I look forward to many more converstaions
Mike

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
Hello folks. Long time lurker here, decided to sign up finally. I started growing my own and making "rustic" pipes in 2009, picked up cigars a year ago and just started enjoying MM cobs a lot. I only smoke a couple of bowls a week, mainly for the health benefits and general enjoyment and air of conviviality of it all.

stiivn

Lurker
Mar 12, 2014
Yet another Steve. I live in Finland so I thought I'd use the phonetic spelling of Stephen for a username. I have been a light pipesmoker for about forty years and it doesn't seem to have done me any harm. I am fascinated by the search for the ideal pipe which becomes my favourite. It eventually gets too clogged or I drop it and I have to start the search again. I have recently discovered two manufacturers from Eastern Europe who are producing interesting new shapes for a very reasonable price. I'll be putting photos of them in my new album.
I have spent most of my working life in "media" cable tv, video production, image manipulation but five years ago I decided to take a break from ungrateful customers and trained as a security guard (very rigorously controlled in Finland). I work in a central Helsinki bank and enjoy it enormously. Two of my main hobbies are photography and typography. I have my own font site where I display typefaces I've created and you can download them for your own use if you want. (www.utfi.net) They're free so that doesn't count as advertising!

Rincewind

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2014
Hi everyone. I live in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. I retired recently and thought I would give the pipe another try since I seem to have the time now to devote to it. Pipe smoking doesn't seem to get along well with a society that moves at break-neck speed. I guess that's a niche that cigarettes fill but when I was young the nails never got their hooks in me. I was, however, mesmerized by the wonderful smells and beauty of a pipe. Pipe smokers always looked so calm, relaxed, and thoughtful and seemed to really take their time to enjoy it. I always wanted to experience that too so I made several attempts over the last 35 years to try to learn the art of pipe smoking on my own but always met with failure and disappointment. I did not know any pipe smokers and the tobacco shops mostly catered to cigar smokers and rarely had anyone around who knew more than me about pipes and pipe tobacco. There were also very few resources before the internet. In recent years, sites like this one started to appear. So after failure and frustration I would turn to the next best thing which was cigars which required little expertise or technique but grew monochromatic and expensive over time. So this time I thought I would arm myself with the wisdom and knowledge of people who know how to do it right and also join the others who, like me, have just enough knowledge to be dangerous! So about a year ago I got some MM Cobs (I had gotten rid of my briars sometime back, another mistake) and some tobacco samples but this time began doing in-depth searches on the internet that more often than not would lead me here. So, I supposed that this was the best resource for pipe smoking and I have not been disappointed. I have pored over a lot of helpful information here and thought it was about time to join in on the fun. I now have a larger assortment of MM Cobs and some of the MM Maple Hardwoods all of which smoke great. I'm not quite ready to break the bank on briars yet on my retirement income but I think PAD is definitely in my future. I do, however, already have TAD and seem to have settled in on mainly VaPers or VaBurs and some straight Virginias. I am also really starting to appreciate for the first time the nuances and wonderful world of flake tobaccos. This is a great site with good people and I want to thank Kevin for making it happen. So, I am ready to sit back, fill a bowl, enjoy the forums, and continue to learn about our hobby and the never ending search for pipe nirvana that we all seek.

britabroad

Lurker
Mar 14, 2014
Good Evening, I'm from the North Country in new York, I have been smoking a pipe for around six years now, and enjoy blends such as G&H Dark Flake Unscented, FVF, Jackknife Plug, most of the heavy Latakia Blends like Pirate Kake and Ten Russians, I think there may be a few names here I will recognize, please ignore whatever they say about me, I hope I can bring something useful to the forum, Happy smoking all.

costadelrica

Lurker
Mar 13, 2014
Good Evening, I'm Amigo from Costa Rica, i'm really new consumer of pipe just one year, one of my friend requeted to me to try it and since march 2013 i enjoy that! hope to discuss with all friends here.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Good Morning,

New here and wanted to say hello. Looking forward to talking pipes with everyone.

Mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

:)

themanny82

Lurker
Mar 17, 2014
Just joined. Here in Baltimore. Been smoking a pipe quietly for a couple of years, but am starting to want more information on the finer points

homeguard95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2014
Hey everybody I figured I'd get my name on this forum.My name is Brad I picked up pipe smoking a mere 6 months ago so there is still a lot for me to learn.What little I know now I learned from this site,but I'm just now joining.

oughtsix

Lurker
Mar 19, 2014
Canada
New guy checking in from the great white north :)
bought my first pipe today, went with a Brigham "voyageur" and have about 5 bowls thru her so far and lovin it. finally figured out how tight to pack it in there and got a nice ember goin on the 5th bowl that burned nice and NO RELIGHTS! whooo hooo!
cheers,

Kyle

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
Hello im Yohannes Raynar from Serang - Banten, small town at Indonesia, im interested with pipe since im 16 yrs old but start seriously pipe smoking about over a year ago. I love almost all kind of tobaccos; aros, VaPer, English, Burley, and Indonesian local tobaccos.

I have a few collection of pipe, mostly briars and Indonesian wooden pipes.
This is my favorite pipes, old Savinelli Milano deluxe and Savinelli Oscar Aged briar :

1669655_653803861322859_1452697690_o.jpg

1617918_653803867989525_1808788732_o.jpg
:puffpipe: :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.