Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

antipodesman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 25, 2011
Vancouver Island
Hello pipe puffers. I am a non-smoker who started smoking a pipe in November. I only smoke a couple of pipes a week. My pipes are mostly ebay estate pipes. I have 2 Petersons, one a 1993 St. Patrick Day bent bulldog and the other a large billiard. I recently acquired a new churchwarden for smoking Presbyterian Mixture. As a secular person, I love the irony of such churchiness. I have recently won a Michael Kabik freehand pipe that has a combination of plateau, sandblast and smooth. This is my best pipe and I have yet to try it. I may save it for smoking Frog Morton.

I obtained a tin of Orlik's Golden Sliced and I was disappointed. The burley seems too much like cigarette tobacco to me. I'll have to try it again to find the nuances or not. I also have four aromatics from Boswell's, Christmas Cookie, Boswell's Best, Berry Cobbler and Raspberry Cream. They all seem quite similar to me. I do enjoy them, particularly the vanilla aromas. I think vanilla in tobacco simulates the fragrance of North American sweetgrass used by native indians. Another topping that I am looking for in tobacco is liquorice. Although I like liquorice I'm not sure that I will like the tobacco. The tin that I am looking for is Esoterica's Blackpool, but it doesn't seem to be available right now. Does anyone have other suggestions for liquorice flavored tobacco's? Right now I have quite a few tins open so I'm not in the acquisition mode until I use some of those up. When I do I'll be looking for Balkan Supreme, Blue Note, Connoisure's Choice, Red Rapparee. I am hoping that Squadron Leader, Irish Flake and Dunhill's become available again.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Welcome, antipodesman.
I'm also a "non-smoker" who took up the pipe, with about the same frequency of smoking. I agree with your assessment of burley, but to each their own. Unfortunately, a burley blend is what my tobacconist started me off on, and it probably set back my hobby three years or more! :lol:
I haven't run across a licorice blend yet, but someone else might be able to help you out.
Simon

tank

Lurker
Dec 1, 2010
I am in the Marine Corps and picked up smoking pipes about 6 years ago while overseas. I love every minute of smoking and collecting. I don't have as many pipes as I'd like to have but I'm working for it. I currently have a Savenilli Churchwarden Billards 602, Bent Bob (first pipe), and 2 meershaum pipes. I smoke mainly aromatics. I had two good types of tobaccos that were house blends from thepiperoom.com but they stopped selling tobacco so I'm in a pickle on what tobacco to try next. Any suggestions?

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome antipodesman and tank. Hope to see more of you in the future. Feel free to post comments, pics or any questions you may have.
Thank you tank for serving, we really do appreciate your time serving our country.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Tank and thank you for your service to our country, my family, and me.

As I am not as lean, not as mean, but still a Marine I have to recommend....

(Sorry about this) Escudo Navy De Luxe.

If you have never tried a Virginia Perique Flake I highly recommend it.

Also, if you have never tried Lane's 1Q I will recommend that as well.

1Q is a great "go to" smoke, and won't disappoint.

Been smoking 1Q for over 35 years.
Don't be shy just dive right in!

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
Hello fellow pipe puffers! My name is Jim and I am originally from Greenock, a town on the west coast of Scotland on the banks of the river Clyde.
In 2001 I moved to England, married an English lass, and I now live in a small market town in the countryside in Buckinghamshire, surrounded by the beautiful Chiltern hills.
I first started smoking a pipe aged around 23yrs. ( that's approx 27yrs ago ) My first pipe tobacco I ever smoked was Troost ( a mild Dutch aromatic ) I then progressed to Whisky Flake, ( now unavailable :cry: ) quickly followed by Three nuns. ( this was back in the days when Three nuns came in a tin and was cut into those beautiful little circles! :cry: ) I stuck with Three nuns for many years before discovering the wonders of Balkan Sobranie and Sobranie Flake. ( both now, sadly, unavailable :cry: )
Around the age of 28yrs I started smoking Condor long cut, ( or bar ) a tobacco which I stuck with for the next three years, as it satisfied me in the old Vitamin N department.
Around the age of about 31yrs I gave up the pipe and started rolling my own cigarettes. I was worried that the pipe, which I smoked in public, made me look old ! :lol:
Here I am now, pushing 50yrs, and back smoking the old pipe again. I actually still have my first ever pipe, a large meershaum, which is now a deep yellow/orange as opposed to the pale yellow colour it was when I first bought it. I also still have a Peterson rustic bent pipe which dates from my youth and is still smokeable.
I've recently been smoking Orlik's Bulls Eye, as I love the taste of perique, and also Peterson's Old Dublin and Punchbowle.
My apologies for all the crying at the start of this post. This was due to my horror at the demise of the Original Three Nuns, Whisky Flake, Balkan Sobranie and Sobranie Flake!!!
I am really enjoying my return to pipe smoking, ( as are my lungs! :lol: ) and look forward to conversing with you chaps.
Regards,

Jim

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Glad to have you Jim,

Welcome to the site.

Don't be shy, just dive right in.

And, don't forget to post some pictures from Buckinghamshire, we'd love to see it.

ggiuliano

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
Hi guys, I'm from Palermo, Italy.

I started smoking pipe about a year ago. I have three Savinelli and a wonderful Calabash :).

One of my favourite tobacco is MacBaren Scottish Mixture, and I don't dislike Peterson's Irish Whiskey.

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
Jim , have you seen the pics on here of Three nuns 'in the tin'...in Germany though!

I get to do some work in a supply warehouse occasionally;thats where I get 'the nu

n'..(in pouches). Mike
Edited..I got some punchbowle over the Isle of Wight today...never tried it but I will try to hold out and open it at a later date (probably wont hold out)

scotsjim

Lurker
Jan 27, 2011
Hi ggiuliano :) Thanks for the welcome Lawrence :)
Mike....is the Three Nuns in the tin from Germany coin cut ? I want some :(
Oh, punchbowle is a great smoke. You'll enjoy it methinks.
Regards,

Jim
P.S. Mike. Your message about pipemag.comforum.( your exact words ) Well...there is a forum for called exactly that.
It's for pipes ! ( think of plumbers ) :lol:

seanleake

Lurker
Jan 26, 2011
Hello all,
My name is Sean and it seems that I am the resident newbie 8O

So hello, Im looking forward to knowing all of you and enjoying many a bowl with all

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome Sean, Jim and ggiuliano. Hope to see you here often with your posts, pics and any questions you may have.

ferretmaster

Lurker
Jan 25, 2011
Hey everyone, names Jeff, I'm new to pipe smoking here just figured I'd join so I could learn more about the hobby.
I'm switching over from cigarettes, just bought a corncob a few days ago and I have to say I'm really enjoying it much more than cigs, there's so much more to it and it feels far more rewarding to carefully pack and light a bowl then just chain-smoke a pack, so yeah hope to get mire into this soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.