PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
Hello All, I've been reading a while,but fairly new to using my laptop. Cheers, Folks,..Mike from Hayling Island, UK. (Married , overworked and over taxed 50 year old electrician and pipesmoker rather than collector;I own only four but now have the urge to buy a couple more!)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Mike...

I hate to break it to you but PAD (Pipe Acquisition Disorder) is contagious and incurable.

Since you have become a member... you are, by extension... well let's just say; you're are showing signs already. :D
We're glad to have you in this fraternity of friendly pipe smokers.

Don't be shy. Just dive right in!

:puffpipe:

mikethepipe

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2011
I have placed two pics in myaccount, Bubbadreier, but it will be a good learning curve for me to post photos, dinosaurs, me and wifey! Mike

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome pentangle and mikethepipe. Hope to see you here often. Don't hesitate to ask any question or post some comments.

jasper

Lurker
Jan 22, 2011
I've been poking around the site for a few weeks and figured I might as well sign up. I've been smoking a pipe for 3 years now. Started with a Dr. Grabow Omega, and after the first year switched to cobs.
Unlike many, I can count all the blends I've tried on one hand. :crying:
Tinderbox Wilshire

Tinderbox 1928 Reserve

Sir Walter Raleigh

Prince Albert

Captain Black Gold
I'm hoping to expand my knowledge on pipe smoking and learn about all the blends I've been missing.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
Well, I guess it's time I got around to introducing myself. Some of you probably already know me from several other pipe related forums. My name is Sean and I go by the name of "DoverPipes". I am located in the Hudson Valley of New York, right on the border of Connecticut. I am fairly active in and around the NY/NJ/CT/MA area as far as pipe shops & shows go. I have been into the hobby of the pipe (smoking & collecting) since 1989(?). I am pretty much a VA / VaPer smoker. My favorite pipes are from Jan Pietenpauw & Son, RM Davison, Peter Binsbergen, Tim Thorpe, Mark Tinsky, Radice, Nording, and my "guilty pleasure pipe" a Jobey Stromboli Cherrywood / Poker.
Feel free to contact me. I am always on the hunt for new / used pipes (sale / trade). I also enjoy trading / sampling tobacco.

skiusmc

Lurker
Jan 23, 2011
Hello forum,

I'm brand new to the site and to pipe smoking. I bought what I think is an upper end cheap pipe, but I think it smokes ok. It seems to be getting better but I still don't have a cake in it. So far I like a black cavendish and what they sold to me as black gold, both are bulk tobbaccos, but seem smooth and smell good without any real tongue bite. I used to smoke cigars, I still will on occasion I'm sure. I'm young and the only person I know that smokes from a pipe, save for the lady at the tobbacco shop. I hope to learn this hobby, and maybe even popularize it amongst my peers. In passing, I'd like to know how young is too young to smoke pipe tobbacco? I think 17. I'm 26.

jeepraines

Lurker
Jan 20, 2011
Hello all,
After contemplating for years I finally decided to try my hand at smoking a pipe. I was surprised to see just how much info was available online and through my research I discovered this site. I am a cigarette smoker and am in the process of trying to be a pipe only man. Looking for my ideal tobacco. As well as a good pipe. I currently have a four dollar corncob which works but just isn't my style. Going to go to the closest B+M to see what they have. It is a bit of a hike so hopefully I wont be disappointed. Loving this site and am envious of all that you have procured. Look forward to reading all that you post.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome Skiusmc... Semper Fi!

Thank you for your service to our country, my family, and me.

You too Jeepraines.
We're glad to have you new guys in this fraternity.

Ski... I started smoking a pipe at 16 or 17. Been smoking for at least 35 years.

Jeep... I too am a reformed "coughin' nail" smoker, as indeed are many of us here.
You guys will find tons of information here.

Nothing but good guys and gals here.

We'll gladly help with any questions you may have. We will all offer opinions, suggestions, and sarcasm (not ridicule).
Please feel free to dive right in!

We love those question, comments, and photos.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome skiusmc and jeepraines. As far as age goes, if you are able to vote and defend our country at 18, then you should smoke then as well. Hope to see posts, pics and any questions you may have. Like Lawrence says, you'll find us a friendly bunch willing to share our info with you.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I work as a Marriage and Family Therapist here in South Florida. Earlier today, my partner commented that "hardly anybody" smokes a pipe anymore. I told him about this site, the many new members that appear each week and the genuine sense of fellowship I've found with the gentlemen who inhabit it's forums.

Welcome to all our new members. Think of pipesmagazine as the back room of a great tobacconist shop, one where friends (new and old) can share thoughts, argue points or just sit down and enjoy the company. Few such places exist in this world.

skiusmc

Lurker
Jan 23, 2011
Seakayak,

Glad to see a fellow 'yaker as well as pipe smoker. I do quite a bit of whitewater boating. My better half is always telling me how "nobody smokes a pipe". Maybe I'll show her this. Found out today that she tolerates the cavendish but hates the latkia. I don't think I like the latkia as much as the cav, but it is kind of nice to trade up a bit. I may mix the two and try it that way. I was wondering what is perique? Sounds like something I might like to try in the upcoming future.

Ski.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Perique is a tobacco from St. James Parish in La. It is only produced there and with a unique process. IMHO it is wonderful, grassy, earthy, and used mainly as an spice type of tobacco to give a certain character to a blend.

Here is a link that Kevin posted early last year. Perique tobacco legacy of 50 years
There are plenty of posts and links to be found here... just type perique into the search forum box on the right of the forum page.... Have fun!

PS Luxury Bulls Eye Flake (bulk) and Escudo Navy De Luxe (tins) are great examples of perique blends. There are plenty of others.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Texan, mid 40's, State Correctional Officer, semi-pro biker, husband and father.
Brand new to pipes. Quit smoking cigarettes way back in 1989-1990. Like to smoke an occasional cigar, sometimes smoking frequently for a month or two, and sometimes not at all for 6 months or so.
I remember my old man smoking a pipe, have a few friends that smoke a pipe, and figured it might be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.