PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
There's been a real flood of new members lately! Feel free to chime in on all the threads. The only rules are

1. No pipe snobbery[/*]
  2. See rule #1[/*]
Okay, so there areactual rules, but the ones above are a good rule of thumb. :) The members cover the range of newbies to seasoned vets. We're from all over the world and united by our love of briar* and leaf. Welcome, all.
Simon
* and meerschaum, clay, corncob...

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Hello. I'm new to pipe smoking, but a long time cigarette smoker. I'm really enjoying my pipe hese days and only smoking a few cigs during the day (trying to get that down to zero).
A few months ago a friend bought each of us a Hardcastle Royal Bruyere. I've been enjoying one bowl an evening of either a vanilla blend or a blend that was recommended by a local tobacconist. I'm very interested in trying others and would love some recommendations - so fire away! (pun intended) The shop has a very limited selection of tinned tobacco so will likely purchase online. Or since I live very near Chicago, I may hop on the train and head to Iwan Ries and see what their selection looks like. Either way would love some recommendations.
Sean

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Hello there. I too am yet another new pipe smoker, who is trying to kick cigarettes after 17 odd years (I first picked up a pipe on Dec. 27, 2010, and since that date, have purchased a total of three packs of cigs, much better than the usual 16+ I would have smoked in that period without pipe).
I personally seem to find myself leaning towards the stronger tobaccos, with my favourite (so far) being Amphora Original Blend (OTC, yes, but thats what was available), occasionally blended with a vanilla black cav. (when the wife is around, for room note). I have picked up a couple of pouches of aro's (as suggested to a new smoker), but have found the tobacco flavour to be too mild for my liking, but look forward to trying as many blends as I can get my hands on (thinking I might venture into the English blends this week).

classicgeek

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 8, 2010
Welcome, Sean and schmitzbitz!
@Sean, there was a thread recently on recommended tobaccos for beginners: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/recommended-starter-tobacco#post-27151
That might give you some ideas. If I was anywhere NEAR Iwan Ries, I would make the trip to go see it, after seeing the virtual tour that cortezattic posted in this thread: http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/photos-of-your-local-bampm
Simon

gutsplitter

Lurker
Jan 13, 2011
Hello all:
Smoked cigars and occasional pipe way back in college - found my Dad's old French Briar pipe recently and with my wife's encouragement - bought couple types of tobacco and have REALLY enjoyed it! It is purely recreational - 4-5 X per week - very relaxing - and am having a blast learning, reading and such. Have gone a little "nuts" on Ebay and elsewhere - have 3-4 new pipes to break in - a few estate pipes (and the requisite bottle of Everclear) to get prepared - and 5-6 bags of various tobacco.
Look forward to learning lots more and following along.
I'm a middle 50 yo surgeon in a small town - enjoy motorcycles, fishing, motorcycles, a truck camper and motorcycles. Kids all grown, wonderful wife & 2 dogs at home.
Bill

sjolie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 11, 2011
Ok, so I just smoked a bowl of the vanilla blend that I bought over the weekend, thoroughly enjoyed it... However, after spending much of the day reading here and tobaccoreviews.com (slow work day!) I had to make a purchase before leaving the office. I ordered a tin of Maltese Falcon and 7 Seas Gold - Can't wait for their arrival.
Like I said thoroughly enjoyed the vanilla blend, but starts too light - unless my packing skills aren't good enough yet, I expected denser smoke which happened about 1/2 way through. Love the learning process!
So now my question, a friend may want to get together tonight for a pipe and I only have one. Is the resting period (24 hours?) super important or can I have another from the same pipe tonight?

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Wow there really have been a flood of new members and it is great!! This site is growing more and more everyday!

Welcome to all the new members, Make sure you guys jump right in with questions, posts, and pictures!
@sjolie - Go ahead and smoke it again tonight! As long as you let it rest for an hour or so after each smoke then you are good!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome sjolie. Great question. Hope to see more of you with any posts, pics and any other questions you may have.

johann

Lurker
Jan 13, 2011
Hey, all. I just started pipe smoking, earlier this week actually. Been thinking about it for a long time, and needed some stress relief, so I took the plunge. Even with a cheap corncob, and cheep tobacco, it was probably the most relaxed I've been for a long while.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard Johann. Indeed it is a very relaxing hobby. Take a look around, there is a ton of info available here. Don't hesitate to ask any questions, dive right in with posts and pics.

tony78

Lurker
Jan 15, 2011
Hey guys,I hope someone can help me out. Long time English smoker I moved from Phoenix To the Detroit area back in Sept. Back home pipe shops are everywhere and carry top shelf merchandise. Here in Detroit its all about cigars, they may have some Dr grabows and some bulk lane at best. Ive even asked a few to order me some nice tins but as of yet none have come through for me. not a single shop knew what English tobacco was when I asked for it.
does anyone know of a shop in the Detroit area that I may have missed that has nice selection of pipes and tobacco? I really hate to order from an online store if I can support a local brick and mortar shop where you can ask questions, try samples, hold pipes in your hands rather than read the tin description and look at pictures online.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

mole

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2010
Heyas Tony,

I dunno about Detroit but I'll be moving to Glendale here in about another month from Seattle.... you mind pointing me in the right direction for a decent B&M?
and... welcome... the guys here are great
Imma nubkins too and they've been more than helpful and make sure you read some of the back threads.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard tony78. Great question to start with. Hope to see your posts, pics and anymore questions you have. This seems to be a great forum to pick up some great info.

crazeybobby

Lurker
Jan 1, 2011
I figured I have been lurking enough since I have joined. I will take the plunge and start posting. I am considering myself new to pipes even though I briefly smoked pipes about ten years ago. I live in small town South Carolina but work in Charlotte NC. My place of employment is about 5 minutes from McCranie's. Great place to spend my lunch break. I have recently been smoking McCranie's red ribbon and red flake, but my current favorite has to be Frog Morton. Thank You all for the great post and i look forward to jumping into the conversations.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'd like to welcome Robertk,
He has the dubious distinction of being my 1000th friend here on Pipesmagazine.com!
Don't be shy, just dive right in.
We love those questions, comments, and pictures.

mole

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2010
Hi guys and welcome!

There is a Pipe Store Locator tab at the top of the page.
Yes Lawrence, I understand this, but IMHO it's better to get the word of someone who frequents these places themselves. I'm more apt to go somewhere a person has had a decent experience and isn't afraid to say it. :nana:

Status
Not open for further replies.