1. We do not allow commercial postings in the forums as it is not fair to our advertisers, and it is not the purpose for the forums.
The purpose of the forums is to foster a community where online friends with similar interests can virtually hangout and discuss things.
It is not a venue for trying to get business. (Putting a link to your website falls under this.)
We want people to join in the discussion; to ask questions, give answers, and create conversation.
UPDATE: July 3, 2012 - Posts such as "Check out the cool pipes / tampers / (whatever) I made" even if they are not offering the items for sale, even if you are just saying, "Hey, I made some pipes and need feedback to improve my skills, and I am not really offering to sell anything, blah, blah, blah ..." You need to have at least 50 "real posts" along with all the other rules.
PipesMagazine.com cannot be used just as a means to promote your own web site, blog, YouTube Channel, Facebook Page, or any other outside landing page.
A blog post or a forum post that is one to a few sentences that are just a lead-in to an outbound link is blatant promotion, or spam. It does nothing to add value to our site, does not enhance the user experience, and is not a participation in the community on the site.
These type of posts will be deleted.
You get two warnings and then you are banned.
Our paid advertisers are allowed to make some occasional commercial posts.
1a. (Update March 4, 2012) - Solicitation via Private Message
The Private Message system may not be used for solicitation of any kind. This is considered spam and is prohibited.
1b. (Update September 1, 2012) - Contests Not Allowed
Members are not allowed to create and promote their own contests on this site because of legal liability. Any such posts will be promptly deleted.
Links in Posts & Signatures
2. Links to commercial sites are not allowed in forum signatures either.
You MAY link to another pipe or pipe tobacco related site if:
a. You have no affiliation with it.
b. It is a legitimate part of the real conversation that is going on.
c. The link is specific to the conversation and will enhance the discussion.
Management retains sole discretion in determining what fits this criteria.
3. Each member is allowed one login account.
Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed, this includes every part of our website and if we do find you in violation of this rule, all of your accounts are subject to immediate and uncontested removal.
4. Pipe Clubs are encouraged to participate and announce their meetings and any other events.
We want to support pipe clubs. They help try to grow the hobby, which is part of our mission as well.
Unauthorized PipesMagazine.com Merchandise
5. We cannot have unauthorized production of any type of goods or services with the PipesMagazine.com name on them.
PipesMagazine.com is copyrighted intellectual property.
Anything that is developed, produced, marketed or distributed with the PipesMagazine.com name or likeness must either be owned by or licensed by Right Click Media, LLC and authorized by Kevin Godbee.
Political Posts Not Allowed
6. We want to keep it friendly and fun around here. Political threads make it nearly impossible to maintain that type of atmosphere, so they are forbidden ... (unless they have to do with tobacco policies and legislation).
Off-topic, E-cig, Hookah Posts
7. Discussion of electronic cigarettes, or any other electronic nicotine delivery device is forbidden. These items have NOTHING to do whatsoever with the true pipe smoking experience. If you want to talk about these items, you are in the wrong place. That goes for Hookah too. Hookahs are the wine coolers of the tobacco world, and they also have nothing to do with the true tobacco pipe smoking experience. Again, if you want to discuss them, please find another website to do so.
8. Avatars must be Rated-PG. My personal preference is to use a picture of myself because it makes online communication more personal and accountable. However, you are not required to use your own photo. It's just a suggestion.
Tasteful shots of pretty ladies are ok. Close-ups of sexualized body parts, half-naked pictures and excessive cleavage are not. We do not think there is anything wrong with any of this imagery. This is just not the place for it.
If you wouldn't show the photo to your grandmother, mother, wife or daughter, then it's probably not appropriate for use as an avatar here.
Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar
9. In order to maintain the quality of our forum and facilitate communication, it is the policy of PipesMagazine to encourage the use of standard spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Members are requested to proof read their posts before submitting them. Please capitalize words in the thread titles.
You may be contacted by moderators and asked to reword posts that we deem too difficult for many to read. If there are repeated violations that appear to be due only to laziness, you run the risk of having posts deleted or being submitted for moderation before appearing on the forum.
A list of common abbreviations and acronyms may be found at http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/terminology. We can add to this list, but if you use new or obscure acronyms, please GUAH (Give Us A Hint).
British-English spelling standards are acceptable as well as American standards.
Perfect grammar is not required. We encourage everyone to do his best. Allowances will be made for those for whom English is difficult.