PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Hello everyone, new member here, name’s Brian. I gave up cigars for the pipe about 4 years ago. If I had only known what an exquisite pleasure pipe smoking and pipe tobacco would be, I’d have done it many years sooner.
I read whatever I found on-line to learn what I could regarding this unknown universe of pipes and pipe tobacco. At first I tried out a few different blends of VA’s, English and Aromatics. It didn’t take long to drop the aromatics (just not my cup-o-tea). I soon knew I was partial to VA blends, and fortunately, early on, I discovered Peterson’s University Flake which has been my favorite ever since.
I also enjoy English blends, but still searching for the right one. I think my favorite so far is Dunhill’s 965, but I’m just not quite satisfied with it. Planning to try their London Mixture next.
As for the pipes, I’ve got a few Savinellis and a couple of Big Bens that are all good smokers, especially for the price. Now that I know for sure I'll be a pipe smoker for life, I hope to pick up something a bit more high end when possible…probably a Dunhill.

scruffwhor

Lurker
Feb 1, 2011
hanover park, IL
Hello,
New member and new pipe smoker. I'm so glad I found this online community. I'm a young pipe smoker who's done some research, bought few books, and will ask a few (ok, maybe a lot about something I'm not familiar with) questions about something I like, but don't know a lot about.
I love good beer and trying new beers, this is the same for pipes, and pipe tobaccos'.
Anyways, hello all. I look forward to getting to know all of my fellow pipe enthusiasts, and benefiting from your experienced knowledge of the briar.
Thank You and happy puffing,
Kent

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Kent, Brian and Hagar (the horrible...?), welcome to the forum! You've got an incomparable wealth of information at your fingertips in the members here--ask and you shall be rewarded with a combined 1,457,767 years of experience (give or take).

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Welcome to all the new members, I am sure you will fit in just fine here!

Make sure to ask any question you may have, post your pipe related questions, and get in on the discussions.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome kent. Very true what you say of the different kinds of tobacco and beer, the fun is in the trying of them. By all means, please post any comments, pics or questions you may have. We are a friendly bunch here.

jjtroutbum

Lurker
Feb 3, 2011
Hello all long time smoker short time lurker here. Mostly smoke English type blends in old American pipes. Old Grabows, four digit Kaywoodies, and MM cobs are the bulk of my smoking rotation.
Just starting to pick through the great articles and interviews. Reading afew threads as the topics call to me.
JJ

oldjazzlover

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 4, 2011
Hello everyone! I just joined I've been smoking pipes and cigars since I was a kid. Our art and enjoyment isn't easy to find someone to discuss with,that's why when I found you I had to join.

dmkerr

Lurker
Feb 6, 2011
Hi Folks! Brand new to the forum, but have been active on other sites for a few years.
I started with the pipe in 1982 but then found myself later in life with kids! So I stopped smoking from 1995 until 2007 when I bought a house with a "man cave". And yes, the man-cave was THE biggest selling point! Kids are allowed in, complaints are not. :D
After years of smoking all manners of briar, I've discovered the meerschaum and have dedicated about 98% of my smoking to the Stone. I'm a bit of a tobacco nut, in that I have about 60 "favorites". I obsessively try new tobaccos in the hopes of finding the Arcadia. Even though I know it's a silly goal finding one favorite blend, I sample because my personality compels me to do so. Well, there's that and the fact that it's fun trying new blends!
Looking forward to conversing with you!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Dmkerr,
Just dive right in.
when I bought a house with a "man cave". And yes, the man-cave was THE biggest selling point! Kids are allowed in, complaints are not.
Mine had a basement garage... note the word "had". I didn't see a garage. I saw "Man Cave"! And it now is as you describe... "Kids are allowed in, complaints are not."

:puffy:

kcvet67

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2010
I obsessively try new tobaccos in the hopes of finding the Arcadia. Even though I know it's a silly goal finding one favorite blend, I sample because my personality compels me to do so. Well, there's that and the fact that it's fun trying new blends!
You'll fit right in here.
FWIW I've been doing the same thing for over 44 years and have no intention of stopping. :puffy:

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome dmkerr. Sounds like all the comforts needed are there for you. It seems that you have what we call TAD here. It is one of the pleasures of life that many of us enjoy fully.

docman21

Lurker
Feb 7, 2011
whats up guys..

from Southeast TN and I just bought my 1st pipe the other night, a Savinelli University pipe just to get started and learn the art. I come from a line of tobacco farmers but unfortunately all have past so I am trying to gather their old pipes and start my own collection. I don't know too much about pipe smoking so that's why I'm here. Hopefully yall can help a fella out.

Thanks,

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.