PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard mauro, eaglerico and Dave. Hope to see many posts, pice and any questions you may have.

mastertech

Lurker
Jan 11, 2011
Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 35 years old been a cigarette smoker for more years than I care to admit. I've been thinking of switching to the pipe for sometime now, and have finally begun the transition. I like the idea of the pipe because you don't have to inhale to enjoy it, there are many, many choices in tobacco and not very many people do it. I had my first pipe on the 3rd of January and I have to say I very much enjoyed it. With every pipe I smoke I get better at packing, cleaning, lighting and smoking the pipe, it becomes more and more enjoyable. The only thing is both for better and for worse, it takes some time to smoke a pipe. I can't rail it down like I did with cigarettes (like on a break at work), but on the other hand one pipe will last nearly all of my hour drive to and from work where as with cigarettes I had to smoke 4 or more. So far I'm loving the pipe, and my lungs are thanking me.
Alan

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard Alan. Hope to see some posts, pics and any questions you may have. We are a friendly bunch here.

Jan 10, 2011
Hi Folks. Glad to be a member, and glad to see there are still pipe smokers in this world. I'm a portrait painter and teach Art History at a small college. Most of the time I get to smoke my pipe at the office... :)

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
We have had some very fine new members join the forum in the last few weeks.

It has been great!
Newbies and Old Timers, Ladies and brothers of the briar from around the world.

We all look forward to your posts, pictures, questions, comments and sarcasm. :roll:
Don't be shy. Just dive right in!
Translation for Mauro:

Abbiamo avuto alcuni membri molto nuova ammenda partecipare al forum in queste ultime settimane.

E 'stato fantastico!
Neofiti e Old Timers, Signore e fratelli della radica da tutto il mondo.

Noi tutti aspettiamo i tuoi messaggi, foto, domande, commenti e sarcasmo. :roll:
Non essere timido. Basta tuffarsi in!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard southernsmoker1. You'll find us a friendly bunch. Hope to see lots of posts, pics and any questions you may have.
Astounding that there are still places that let you smoke while at work, besides a smoking establishment of some sort.

mastertech

Lurker
Jan 11, 2011
Well I can't say that I have any questions at this point, I did read a pipe smoking guide or two before picking up the pipe the first time, but for me at least it has been a very natural transition. To me smoking cigarettes was like driving a beater economy car (got you what you needed), and the pipe is like driving a Cadillac (gets you want you need, in style, class, comfort). Very easy to transition in to something that is so pleasurable, I'm just sorry I didn't switch years ago.
Alan

domd

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
Hey I'm Dom not totally a noob but getting back into pipes after four years! I see there is alot of new blends to try! Great site and alot of great information and articles!

isodave2

Lurker
Jan 8, 2011
I joined a few days ago and I'm finding great info on this sight. I've enjoyed the occasional cigar for quite a few years now but recently started pipe smoking. I wish I had started sooner.
I'm a classical violinist and also enjoy bluegrass, folk and country music. I look forward to reading all the expert advice that is available on pipesmagazine.com.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome dom and save. Great to have you here. Indeed there is a ton of info here. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have or any posts or pics you may want to share.

neil166

Lurker
Jan 10, 2011
hello fellow smokers

just thought id introduce myself i am new to pipe smoking and have never smoked before so any sugestions on tobacco will be appreciated as whatever it is my wife bought me isnt hitting the spot

I live in barnsley, South Yorkshire , England and have just retired from 26 long years in the forces, and have always wanted to learn to smoke a pipe as i think pipe smokers look really relaxed and cool,

looking forward to any good advice for newbys to the game as well as reading the fantastic articles on this site
cheers

Neil

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome neil. Hope to see you here often with your posts, pics and any questions you may have. I would suggest 1Q by Lane, if it is available over there in the UK.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Good morning.
I'm relatively new on the site––thought I'd wait a while and become somewhat acquainted with things as they are, before running off at the mouth and making my first post. I'm a recently retired Rabbi, also a retired naval officer from my former life. I started smoking m a pipe in 1959 when I was an undergraduate, quit 20 years ago when I contracted pertussis, and ended up coughing incessantly for six months or so, needing surgery to repair my vocal chords. (Pretty big thing for a guy who speaks for a living.)
Periodically, I would take out my collection of 70 or so pipes, polish them up a bit, and put them back. About two months ago I decided to take it up again just for fun, and to tell you the truth, it's been a blast! I still have a few cans of old-time Balkan Sobranie, and some Our Best Blend from Smokers Haven (used to be the same thing when Sid was around, some 40 years ago or so.)
Right now, I'm experimenting with different tobaccos, including a few aromatics, something I would never have thought of doing back in the old days, but they're fun, and this is a good time to experiment.
I live in Cheshire, Connecticut, where today we are having a massive blizzard, with 2 feet of snow on the ground, and only just beginning to look like it might think about tapering off. My wife is a veterinarian (I married my doctor,) and my oldest son is a captain in the Army, serving with the 10th Mountain division in Afghanistan.
There will be more later, as I'm contemplating getting a blog going, but for the time being I just wanted to introduce myself and thank all of you here for your warmth and friendliness, for the good information your all posting about pipes and smoking, and especially to Kevin for getting all this going.
Best,

Eric

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome aboard eric. It is great to have you and your wonderful story. Hope to see many posts, some pics of the pipes and any questions or comments you may have. We are quite a friendly bunch here.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Ravkesef,

Welcome to the site, and let me express my gratitude to you and your son for yours and his service to our country, my family, and me.
Plenty of good folks here, just dive right in.
Being the generous person I am....

Here are a couple of feet of snow, just incase you don't have enough.

2feetofsnow.jpg

:puffy:

lukester

Might Stick Around
Jan 12, 2011
Ahoj everyone!! I am new to pipe smoking and the pipe smoking community. Started smoking a pipe 12/7/10. Gave up cigarettes and have not touched one since(smoked many years). I would like to thank everyone for all of the information and reviews i have found here. It has been a lot of help. happy pipes to you all!!!!

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome lukester. Glad you threw away the coughin nails. Hope to see more of you in the future. Don't hesitate to ask questions, we are a friendly bunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.