PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakelandpiper

Lurker
Dec 31, 2010
Hello,
I Started smoking a pipe this summer as a way to avoid going back to part time cig smoking. What a great decision that was. I only smoke a bowl or two a day in the evening, but I look forward to that time on the back porch every day. Fantastic stress relief! I started a friend of mine and he is hooked as well. I have about 10 pipes now and will get more in the future.

I am still in the experimental stage, trying lots of different tobocco's to try and find a few that work best. I feel like a kid in a candy store again (love the aromatics by McClelland and the mild Mac Baren's). Thank goodness for the internet or I would have thought carter hall and captain black were the only tobacco's I could smoke.

I am hoping to get some help in identifying a couple of pipes i received recently.
Happy puffing
Carter

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome meyer, chuck and carter. Hope to see posts and pics, plus any questions you may have. Jump right in. We are quite a friendly bunch.

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
Hi. I'm a new comer to pipe smoking. Just started less than 2 months ago. Badly in need of support and discussion groups as I live in a lonely country where I'm sure I'm the only woman pipe smoker in the country, and probably the only pipe smoker at all. Tobaccos available here in Thailand are horrid. Captain Black and Mac Barren's Seven Sea (hardly a good choice for a newbie with no experience with tongue bite. I buy most of my tobaccos and pipes through the internet now, but it's nothing compare to the experience of actually being in a tobacconist shop. (long sigh...). So anyway, just want to say hi to those of you out there. Happy Smoking. P.S. I have a question, my new Peterson's Aran-68 whistles like a piccolo. Is it considered a problem if your pipe whistles? (Apart from the annoyance?). Thanks. River.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome river. It may be that the tobacco is not packed tight enough. I am always amazed by how many countries are represented here.

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
Thanks, krgulick. So kind. I tried packing the pipe more tightly, and the problem disappeared. You were absolutely right. :)

jlee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2011
Denver
Howdy all,
Very long time lurker here. One of my New Year resolutions was to actually sign-up and involve myself as I've been hanging around here for a long time and feel like I know you all anyway.
I've learned a lot from reading the forums and articles available here at pipesmagazine.com. Thanks to all for that. I don't have a large or fancy collection of pipes or tobacco but what I have is my own. I enjoy the art/beauty of a high grade but find myself more attuned to the practicality of function for pipe smoking. I've spent a few $$$ on some decent pipes but I've burnt through my share of cobs mostly(literally burnt holes through - cobs don't taste all that great while on fire).
My views and tastes are always evolving - which is one of the joys of pipes. Any given day can produce a different result. I engage in food, wine, beer, liquor, etc in much the same way. The subjective nature of these endeavors keep it interesting. I relish the known preferences but like to push the boundaries sometimes to find a new experience with an old stand-by or novel addition(this doesn't always work out).
My interests include being a father and husband - riding my scoot - food/wine/spirits - travel - history - free markets/freedom of choice. Thanks again for all I've learned already and I hope to come out of the shadows to make acquaintances and friends for the long haul.
Best from sub-zero Denver,
J Lee

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Lots of new folks lately.

Glad you took the plunge J Lee.
Welcome to all you new guys/"lurkers" (sounds a little sinister).
Just dive right in.

We love questions, opinions and pictures.
We're glad to have you all in the fraternity.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Hi all, new to the forums here, and glad to see a relaxed and pleasant bunch of folks in the posts.

I'm recently re-acquainting myself with pipe smoking, and doing well with leaving behind the bugbear of cigarettes. I say re-acquainting because my first pipe was purchased for me by my then-girlfriend about 20 years ago, a very nice Sasieni 4Dot Slim Billiard Ruff Root Dark. I enjoyed smoking, though I'm fairly sure I was doing nearly everything I possibly could wrong at the time (smoking hot, poor tobacco choice, zero maintenance, etc.) The pipe sat in a storage box of my papers since then. Now, with a bit of age and (perhaps?) some maturity, I'm in the process of refreshing the Sasieni and, when they arrive, the new pipes from a bout of PAD. I've gleaned a fantastic wealth of information, tips, tricks and generally pleasant reading from the forum these past couple of days, and offer my thanks and appreciation to all contributors.

Wishing everyone a hearty and tasty new year,

Romeo

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Glad to be of some small amount of help river.
Welcome jlee. Happy to see you came to the light side. I second Lawreance's sentiments to dive right in. We are quite a friendly bunch.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome River,
I reread you post above and "bumped" an old string about whistle.

There may be a gem or two for you in there, and it should spark some new discussion.
We're glad to have you!

riverchaopraya

Might Stick Around
Jan 1, 2011
Thank you, Lawrence. Your welcome is priceless. I read through the string you bumped for me, and am glad that I'm not the only one with the whistling problem. I guess that's the benefit of having a forum like this, so that you find you're not alone. Strangely enough, the whistling Aran is now my favorite pipe. I like it better than the more expensive ones. A minor defect can be endearing, it makes the pipe more friendly and approachable, much like this forum. :) Thanks again for your kindness. I learn a lot from you and from this site, and I'm sure pipe-smoking is going to be my life-long passion. River.

rls80

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
Hello everyone!
I've been a bit of what they call a 'lurker' on forums, thought I would join up and contribute and be a bit useful if I can! Been smoking pipes for a year now, and own 6 pipes with another in the mail as we speak! :)
I started with the usual aromatics such as petersons, Alsbo etc but now I'm liking Squadron Leader, Old Dublin and I think I may try Early Morning Pipe soon I think. Suggestions welcome too!
Anyway, looking forward to contributing and happy new year all!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
@River, glad to be of service, and we're all glad to have you.
Welcome to you Rls80.

We love having relatively new pipe smokers join the fourm.

It's from those such as yourself that a lot of really good discussions get started.

So, don't be shy, just dive right in!

I do have one suggestion: You might try giving Lane 1Q a try.

It's a great go to smoke, when you don't feel like being too adventurous.

It goes by many names: Tinderbox calls it Wilshire; my local calls it Yorkshire, and there is plethora of other names. But 1Q is enough to let you tobacconist know what you want.

We're glad to have you in this friendliest of fraternities.

rls80

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the warm welcome chaps! I've done loads of research online and 1Q is mentioned all over, unfortunately in the UK it doesn't seem to be available? I've seen a couple of alternatives about that I can get hold of, but they got poor reviews. I'll keep searching though!
Cheers

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Welcome ris80. I agree with Lawrence's suggestion of 1Q from Lane. If a Tinderbox is not close by, then there are several online sources to procure some. I would suggest any of the ones that have ads here to take a look at. I would suggest Shortcut to Mushrooms from Just For Him. It is a nice blend and I am sure is one of their best sellers. Hope to see you here often with posts and any other questions you may have. As Lawrence says, "Just dive right in."

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
OK, you are over in the UK. I would suggest, if they have better availability over there, almost anything from Samuel Gawith or Gawith & Hoggarth. Both are very reputable, have been around forever and have a great selection.

marinemac

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
Brand new to the pipe world. Have been smoking cigars for 5 years. I was introduced to pipes in iraq by a interp. Bought my first briar pipe and look forward to trying all that comes with pipe smoking. Any advice would be great.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Welcome aboard Mac.

We love questions, and don't worry about asking what you might think is a silly question. They're aren't any.

You will be very surprised by the number and quality of the responses.

There are a lot of very informed pipe smokers here and we all love to answer questions.

We like pictures too. So, post a picture of your first pipe. They are always special.

And thank you for accepting the friendship request.
Semper Fi!
:worship: Kudos to Kevin: HE BROKE THE 1000 FRIEND MARK :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.