PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Hm... an English plug. I'm a sucker for plugs and wouldn't mind cutting this into a shag to get all that flavor to maximum choochin' level. However, I've got about 4 Pease lat blends open already and have't really been impressed with anything except maybe Lagonda or Meridian. I'm going to revisit Chelsea Morning before purchasing this.

Reactions: BROBS and Casual

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
Hm... an English plug. I'm a sucker for plugs and wouldn't mind cutting this into a shag to get all that flavor to maximum choochin' level. However, I've got about 4 Pease lat blends open already and have't really been impressed with anything except maybe Lagonda or Meridian. I'm going to revisit Chelsea Morning before purchasing this.
I find Pease blends are much better with some age on them. I am smoking tin of Lagonda from 2013 and it is fantastic.

Reactions: diamondback

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
Maybe things aren't as dire as the industry let consumers believe because it was good for sales. Perhaps we will see some of the hard to get blends become more available as the hoarding culture wanes. Perhaps I'm delusional or just being wishful... I will say that releasing blends at this point is telling about industry confidence in how things will turn out. Of course internet sales could always go away in a blink of an eye...

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I read about this but I was unable to find release dates or other concrete information about when/where to find it. Like many of you I enjoy Pease's blends but I also realize that he's under price-point constraints from the manufacturer Cornell & Diehl. Sometimes I detect a real push-pull when it comes to his blends and I think that his standards of quality aren't always unwavieringly achievable given the realities of the material that's available, in the amounts required to create a release with ample distribution for economic viability.

Anybody know where to look for it?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm down to the last quarter tin of Haddo's. I'll keep this new one in mind, but I sure have a world of tins on hand, including McClellands, Dunhill branded tins, and Seattle Pipe Club, among a number.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
My unsubstantiated belief is that manufacturers have decided that government ineptness will continue to create delays. So, they're making hay while the sun shines.

That's my conclusion too. Plus there's a last days of Rome mentality now, a tobacco orgy where people buy, sell, and horde blends they haven't even have time to test, motivated by fear of future deprivation.

Dutch Pipe Smoker

(arno665)
Apr 3, 2013
The Netherlands
dutchpipesmoker.com
Well, I am really looking forward to Spark Plug! Come on people, a new latakia (!) blend of the Dark Lord himself! bdwWhen I began with pipe smoking at the end of 2010 I read all these rave reviews about GL Pease (Chelsea Morning especially was hot at that time) and I really was swept along in the enthusiasm. It almost felt like magic. Now I almost get a bit of a "down" feeling while reading many replies here.. Damn, you folks should thank whatever God you believe in on your bare knees that you have a masterblender like Greg. Not to mention other excellent brands and tobaccos in the USA. Here in The Netherlands we have almost nothing left. Finding a reasonable latakia blend here? Impossible. And for the rest of Europe mainland STG and MacBaren are ruling the waves. Not that they make bad blends (on the contrary), but imho they can't compare to what Greg has to offer. The only European lights in the dark are HU Tobacco and to a lesser extent Motzek. So I cheer for the new GL Pease blend Spark Plug! Hurray! Hurray! That it may age perfectly in my cellar and give me many magical hours of smoking.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
When I began with pipe smoking at the end of 2010 I read all these rave reviews about GL Pease (Chelsea Morning especially was hot at that time) and I really was swept along in the enthusiasm. It almost felt like magic. Now I almost get a bit of a "down" feeling while reading many replies here..

Greg Pease is still important, no question about it. But you're right, he's not the rock star he used to be 10 years ago. But perhaps he doesn't want to be, which is the feeling I get. He rarely posts on his own web site even though he's a good writer, and he doesn't self-promote on pipe forums like he once did.

Status
Not open for further replies.