PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
My entry in the archives of "weird things I found in C&D tins" --

A knotted jute twine, blackened apparently while smoking out the Latakia (it's my best guess). Looks like it was attached to Latakia in there, and Latakia is often supplied in bundles. Seems the end of the bundle, twine include, was thrown in the mix and then pressed.

The twine has these little black hairs all over the place, making something similar to a burnt rope dust. To smoke it without getting the dust everywhere I had to rip of a good chunk of the plug where the twine was embedded.

At least it was something interesting, and not pubic hair, mold, or animal droppings.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska

A knotted jute twine, blackened apparently while smoking out the Latakia (it's my best guess). Looks like it was attached to Latakia in there, and Latakia is often supplied in bundles. Seems the end of the bundle, twine include, was thrown in the mix and then pressed.

The twine has these little black hairs all over the place, making something similar to a burnt rope dust. To smoke it without getting the dust everywhere I had to rip of a good chunk of the plug where the twine was embedded.

At least it was something interesting, and not pubic hair, mold, or animal droppings.

View attachment 17512
View attachment 17513
WTF? Oughta get a new tin outta that i’d say, could be awful wonky.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I thought the blend smoked well. Has to be one of the "cleanest" tasting tobaccos I've ever smoked. I enjoyed it. I would have liked it had it been pressed a little more solidly. It was a very clean (don't know how else to say it) and straightforward smoke with plenty of soft Latakia and decent body. I got a few more as well to put away. Probably won't need any more than that.

Reactions: BROBS

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa

View attachment 17512
View attachment 17513
Its the latest rage; wood stave, twine...Take my $$$ now!

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
I thought the blend smoked well. Has to be one of the "cleanest" tasting tobaccos I've ever smoked. I enjoyed it. I would have liked it had it been pressed a little more solidly. It was a very clean (don't know how else to say it) and straightforward smoke with plenty of soft Latakia and decent body. I got a few more as well to put away. Probably won't need any more than that.
Yes...I do agree the Latakia was soft...But the tar taste stood out...Just not for me.

Reactions: BROBS and greeneyes

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Yes...I do agree the Latakia was soft...But the tar taste stood out...Just not for me.
Yeah I see what you mean. It's dark, oily, tarry. I bet it would be good with a little unsweetened black Cavendish, or even Rattray's Black Virginia. But it's too early for me to screw around with it since I've only smoked it twice.

Haha or some debris that fell out of Reeves’ beard. Might have been windy that day.
Every photo I've seen of him he's wearing the beard bra. :LOL:

grumpyoltroll

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 14, 2018

View attachment 17512
View attachment 17513
Yeah, but how did the jute smoke in a pipe?

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
So far my first impression the tin note. I get the Latakia smokiness right away, however some time sniffing around found that red Virginia in there. Really allows for a sweet leathery tin note. I get the feeling the orientals will be condiment on this one but will see when I actually smoke it.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015

I am sorry to see that this piece of twine got past us and I definitely want to offer you a replacement tin. You are correct that Latakia is tied into bundles to be fire cured, and during the process, which lasts 5 - 6 months, the twine blackens and gets covered with soot, just like the leaf, making it really tough to see. When the firing is complete, the twine gets cut and the leaf is baled, often with bits of twine tangled up all through it. Removing twine is unfortunately a reality and part of the process when we use Latakia. Again, I am sorry that this piece got past us and I want to make it right for you. Please feel free to PM me or email info@cornellanddiehl.com with your shipping address and I will get another tin out to you ASAP.

Frozenoak

Can't Leave
Oct 9, 2019
Lake Elsinore, CA
I am sorry to see that this piece of twine got past us and I definitely want to offer you a replacement tin. You are correct that Latakia is tied into bundles to be fire cured, and during the process, which lasts 5 - 6 months, the twine blackens and gets covered with soot, just like the leaf, making it really tough to see. When the firing is complete, the twine gets cut and the leaf is baled, often with bits of twine tangled up all through it. Removing twine is unfortunately a reality and part of the process when we use Latakia. Again, I am sorry that this piece got past us and I want to make it right for you. Please feel free to PM me or email info@cornellanddiehl.com with your shipping address and I will get another tin out to you ASAP.
Well, that’s cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.