PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
Greg Pease is still important, no question about it. But you're right, he's not the rock star he used to be 10 years ago. But perhaps he doesn't want to be, which is the feeling I get. He rarely posts on his own web site even though he's a good writer, and he doesn't self-promote on pipe forums like he once did.
I suppose this is due in part of how advertisements are conceputalized these days. Now, everything is either Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, etc. Of course the sidebanners on this website are advertisement but where else are you going to find advertisements. The game has changed within the last decade and data algorithms for pipe related material just isn't there. I research multiple times a day about tobacco and pipes and have never one received an advert while browing another site; but, I always get ads for items I may have searched once or twice in the month.

While Greg doesn't have a stake in todays media, he's already established himself as a pioneer in blending and that's why his blends, for the most part, have a high rating. Out of all the blends I smoke, the majority of them are Greg's. And out of my top 10 favorites, 5 of Greg's make the cut. You bet I'm going to jump on this blend when it releases.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Now, everything is either Youtube, Facebook, Instagram, etc. Of course the sidebanners on this website are advertisement but where else are you going to find advertisements.

While Greg doesn't have a stake in todays media . . .
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Or, if I do understand correctly I am not sure I agree. If the new age of advertising is YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram, I would argue that is Greg is, in fact, active on Instagram. Heck, it was his Instagram post that alerted me to this new blend.

Reactions: troyniss and BROBS
It is exhausting to stay active enough to be high in the ratings of all the social medias, because I got sick and tired of it also in another area. And, I am not sure how much good it does, especially when so many would ask stupid questions of him or try their best to belittle him in some way, which is probably why he stopped responding to morons on here. People claiming he is a liar or trying to prove him wrong in some way. It was painful to watch.

But, come on, who hasn't heard of Greg Pease? If someone doesn't know that he is the lord of latakia, then they just started or they just don't branch out much. You don't see Rolex commercials very often, and I have never seen a Maserati or a Jag commercial. Sometimes, when you get to the top, your product speaks for itself.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
It is exhausting to stay active enough to be high in the ratings of all the social medias,

This is true, but it's not even social media. He rarely posts on his own website and when he does it's done with less precision. Even now Virginia Cream is called "Vanilla Cream" twice in his site's official description of the blend, even though it's clearly a typo. It just seems like there's general disconnect from him that wasn't there originally. I still love his blends. It doesn't matter to me if he's a rock star. But the old days when he was super-active online were fun. I learned a lot from him.

or a Jag commercial. Sometimes, when you get to the top, your product speaks for itself.
I've been waiting for someone to call me out on the Jags. Ha ha. They are designed so that you have to own two of them. One to drive, while the other is perpetually in the shop, and so on. ha ha.

this stuff is honestly horrid.
I like it, but it took me a while to "get it." So, I can see where someone might not like it. Greg and I had an exchange of words on it also. Ha ha, the best advice he gave me was to stop smoking it in my aromatic pipes, and use my Virginia pipes.... then after a few bowls, I got a case of the "aha's"

I had to actually use the "find" function to find the "Vanilla Cream" mistakes. Ha ha, yeh. Please for godz sake, never look at my website. Ha ha.

Reactions: logs

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
No, it means that manufacturers don’t consider the upcoming regulations likely to be so burdensome to stop releasing new blends. Maybe they’re fine discontinuing the blends at some future date, or maybe they expect the regulations to have a cost worth paying. I guess we will have to wait to find out.

My thoughts exactly. Very happy to see new blends on the market. Maybe the tobaccolypse will hold off for a while longer, or be more of a gradual process. I would appreciate a few more years at least to keep stocking the blends I like and also trying new ones.

troyniss

Can't Leave
Jul 8, 2018
Michigan
I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Or, if I do understand correctly I am not sure I agree. If the new age of advertising is YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram, I would argue that is Greg is, in fact, active on Instagram. Heck, it was his Instagram post that alerted me to this new blend.
I see how my writing may have confused you. In general, if you go onto FB and Youtube, advertisements that you may see, even if you generally look at pipe merchandise 90% of the time while perusing the web are not advertised the same way other products are. ON this website however, it seems like a proprietary advert..... I mean, I wouldn't want a shoes advert coming up on this website, it's irrelevant, yet somehow other social media websites have been able to bypass interests of pipe smokers and replace it with other items (shoes, clothing, electronic goods ).

It's the concept of what you search will eventually pop up again in the form of advertisement, even if you stopped searching or looking for the product yesterday, yet it doesn't work for pipe related material. I would love for my facebook ads and youtube video ads to be pipe smoking related, yet till this day it has never happened. Instead it's filled with thing's I would never care for.

Forgive me for being naive on the information via Instagram, I don't use it that much and I might have guessed that advertisement is processed in the same way. I suppose Instagram is, in some way, just a giant advertisement for that specific user, but, you have to follow them to see their product, whereas Facebook or Youtube just throws it at you.

Reactions: litup

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Im starting to wonder if this "deeming apocalypse" is going to be all its cracked up to be. Isn't it happening in a few months? The blenders don't seem to be worrying about it, they're still carrying on like business as usual.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I'm generally pretty pessimistic when it comes to the government, but I have learned a few things recently that suggest the very faintest glimmer of hope. In particular, the FDA recently stated that the premium cigar market was their "lowest priority". I don't want to construe that as "cigars and pipes are in the clear". But it does, perhaps, suggest that any enforcement of the deeming rules for the non-vaping forms of nicotine will be lax for a while.

Last edited:

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The Briar Patch in Sacramento was located directly across the street from the state capitol until they were basically forced to close because of onerous local restrictions on the sale of flavored tobacco. I felt really bad for all the politicians that had to give up their humidors and say goodbye to their stomping grounds.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Country Squire has it right now as well.
I might be hallucinating but it seems Country Squire has a ONE-tin limit.
I really wanted 3 tins (1 to try and 2 to store) and I was happy to support Country Squire, but I think I'll have to wait for another retailer without the limits.

I would have ordered from 4Noggins but their ID validation service refuses to accept my temporary ID (the real one is on its way); nor did 4Noggins respond to my phone call and message, nor my email.

No news there. Over the years I've written several emails to 4Noggins and for some reason never received a response. Too bad CSquire has that tin limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.