PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Hahaha, ok. That’s just kind of like dedicating a book to someone you’ve never met because they’re dead and other people said they were cool.

Ok, well some clarification here: I have never tried Frog Morton, but I have tried Frog Morton on the Bayou (still have some jarred up), and I have pounds of AM Pipe and 925, which, judging by Frog Morton on the Bayou, seem to bulk variations of Frog Morton. Sort of like how the Dunhill English blends seem to be variations of Nightcap.

Anyways, it is good stuff, and it has aged BEAUTIFULLY. Just a sweet, candy sort of undertone on the 925, and the AM Pipe may possibly be my favorite go-to English blend. So I am expecting to enjoy Frog Morton.

Reactions: BROBS and rushx9

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Ok, well some clarification here: I have never tried Frog Morton, but I have tried Frog Morton on the Bayou (still have some jarred up), and I have pounds of AM Pipe and 925, which, judging by Frog Morton on the Bayou, seem to bulk variations of Frog Morton. Sort of like how the Dunhill English blends seem to be variations of Nightcap.

Anyways, it is good stuff, and it has aged BEAUTIFULLY. Just a sweet, candy sort of undertone on the 925, and the AM Pipe may possibly be my favorite go-to English blend. So I am expecting to enjoy Frog Morton.
Fair enough. I prefer On the Town and Cellar, but FM proper is a fine blend as well. But 20 tins? That’s quite a stash even for a living blend. Crack one open man. You could get stomped to death by a hippo tomorrow.

skydog

Jun 27, 2017
I don't think it matters how much McClelland you have left in your cellar. If you like it and you think you have more than a few months left on this earth then try to stretch it out and enjoy it for a longer period of time.

I hope I'm not kicking the bucket in the next few months or years so I'm planning on enjoying my McClelland stash for as long as possible. Special occasions and the occasional no-occasion bowl seems to be scratching the McClelland itch for me while still allowing me to enjoy my McClelland tins a little further on down the road.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
Fair enough. I prefer On the Town and Cellar, but FM proper is a fine blend as well. But 20 tins? That’s quite a stash even for a living blend. Crack one open man. You could get stomped to death by a hippo tomorrow.

Or maybe he's putting it off because he doesn't want to be disappointed when it doesn't turn out to be the most absolutely amazing pipe experience he's ever had. It's just bog-standard Frog Morton after all. It's basically what beginners smoke after they've graduated from 1-Q. At best it's pleasant. I'm sure you can think of a dozen blends that are way more interesting... I know I can.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Or maybe he's putting it off because he doesn't want to be disappointed when it doesn't turn out to be the most absolutely amazing pipe experience he's ever had. It's just bog-standard Frog Morton after all. It's basically what beginners smoke after they've graduated from 1-Q. At best it's pleasant. I'm sure you can think of a dozen blends that are way more interesting... I know I can.
If you asked me to choose between FM and HU Fayyum (among others) I’d shoot that frog in the brains immediately.

It is enjoyable IMO though, a good blend. If it were $15/100g tin I might buy more. Maybe.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I gave away a tin of FM and a tin of FMC just the other month to a forum member who was dying to try some. I never cared for either blend and was happy to have the extra space.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
If you asked me to choose between FM and HU Fayyum (among others) I’d shoot that frog in the brains immediately.

I find some extraordinary statements in this thread, but let me start with the above, which is a hoot. It'a a hoot! Have you thought about what wouldn't be left of a frog's head after being shot? Nothing! Just nothing! Obliteration! Oblivion! Just nothing. Ku (Buddhist: unmanifest.) Creatively and conclusively said!

Savor means to fully enjoy, either now or then.

Also, 20 tins of a blend never smoked, waiting for the right pipe? Really? Savor is of the palate which overrides age and pipe. That said, your plan is your plan.

Third, the rational of aging is basically delayed gratification, which only holds true if the gratification of the delayed experience exceeds the frustration of the present denial. Even mathematically, this is not true, as the result of a present negative summed with a future positive is zero, or no gain.

You will say that the delay is valuable because the tobacco will be so much better aged. True, but you may never smoke it, for a variety of reasons, and meanwhile you have to endure years of not smoking it. Why not enjoy the tobacco that you have on hand right now rather than zero sum?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
To answer the OPs question, I'm always trying new blends so my attention is never focused on one or a few tobaccos for so long that I fear risking it being smoked frequently and repetitively enough to exhaust my stocks.

You must do what makes you happy. If one tobacco keeps somehow pulling you back in, over and over, then so be it. Personally I'm on the "variety is the spice of life" kick, constantly trying new things, so my jars of McClelland are pretty darn safe.

One thing I'll tell you, if you do indulge in your single blend, be sure not to back yourself into a corner. It will run out so be scoping alternatives in the meantime. Otherwise you'll be back with the "I'm down to my last bowl of XYZ and I need to find a substitute! Help!" post.

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
If you've ever had to clear out an older family member's belongings after they died, you will realize the futility and ultimate sadness of putting things like this off.

Smoke a tin or two and embrace the temporal nature of both your tobacco store and your life here smoking it.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
The holy grail of pipe tobacco.
20200524_121157.jpg

Since it’s an English aromatic I wanted to dedicate a pipe to it.

Not much latakia in that one, almost unnoticeable. It's aromatic component is so light that if you smoked something else in the pipe immediately afterwards, you wouldn't notice it. It was one of McClelland's lightest blends.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA

SHOOT ONE WIT UR M16A2

Reactions: rushx9

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have been smoking more of my older stick as I could catch this thing and croak. I began a couple of months ago and started with a 100 gram tinof 1997 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky. It was so freaking good I grabbed a 1998 of the same and slammed through that 100 grams as well.
I have been consistently smoking 2006 Besst Brown,2007 Stonehaven,2005 Mac Baren Mavy Flake. I just cracked the other day a 2006 Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky, you may have the impression I really like DSK,

I have my eye on a 2007 Peterson Irish Flake just waiting to finish off the 2012. There are only a few blends I am not touching but those are waiting for a special person to come buy.

I refuse to die with all my best tins sitting on the sideline. I am smoking them and will enjoy them knowing that they have lived their purpose

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Because it’s FROG MORTON. Have you not heard? The holy grail of pipe tobacco. You must be new here, nOoB.
I still have some tins of the various Frog Morton blends that I bought in 2013. Frankly, I didn't think much of it, so I've not smoked the other tins. Why not just get rid of it, especially the Syrian version for which I can get a good return? Well, right now I don't care about a return as I didn't buy it for investment. I figure I might change my mind at some point and give it another go, or trade it for something else that I do like.

There's no way to know what the best pipe would be unless you're smoked it in a few pipes.

As for just smoke it or parcel it out, do what works best for you. There is no one correct answer.