PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesus God, man. Open one of those things. Even if you smoked nothing but that, by the time you crack that last tin that latakia is gonna taste like tap water and air.
Or it might just taste better as the flavor of the Latakia has softened up some. After about 20 years the smokiness of the Latakia is probably going to become very muted, leaving behind the flavor of the underlying leaf. And there are occasional Dorian Gray tins that defy the odds.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
View attachment 31041

Not much latakia in that one, almost unnoticeable. It's aromatic component is so light that if you smoked something else in the pipe immediately afterwards, you wouldn't notice it. It was one of McClelland's lightest blends.
This one I did stock up on. It's one of the best Reds that Mcclelland ever released. I sill have around 30 tins of it.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Or it might just taste better as the flavor of the Latakia has softened up some. After about 20 years the smokiness of the Latakia is probably going to become very muted, leaving behind the flavor of the underlying leaf. And there are occasional Dorian Gray tins that defy the odds.
Likely true, but if he doesn’t open one now (already a couple years old) how will he even know what it’s done?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Likely true, but if he doesn’t open one now (already a couple years old) how will he even know what it’s done?
He won't know. I'm not suggesting that Austin shouldn't open up a tin and smoke it, just that the Latakia may change in a way that's good (or not good, depending on the palale of the smoker). As for picking out the right pipe. There's no way to do that without smoking the blend in a number of pipes.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
This one I did stock up on. It's one of the best Reds that Mcclelland ever released. I sill have around 30 tins of it.
I'm at around 20 now. Those were in my dresser and just too lazy to get into the closet to get the rest. rotf

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
He won't know. I'm not suggesting that Austin shouldn't open up a tin and smoke it, just that the Latakia may change in a way that's good (or not good, depending on the palale of the smoker). As for picking out the right pipe. There's no way to do that without smoking the blend in a number of pipes.
Quite true. My point was simply that it will change, and the Latakia will (likely) fade at least a bit, probably a lot. Maybe not, maybe for the better, but either way it will not be the same Frog Morton thats unicorn status has led to him stockpiling 20 tins.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I try not to get into self-discipline in the pipe smoking department. Restraint is necessary in so many areas of life, it is good to find a few areas where it does not apply. For me, pipe smoking is one of them. Smoke it as often as you can fully enjoy it, and when it is gone, it is gone.