PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Even the discussions where we lament our favorite tobaccos are enjoyable. It seems that if you ration it out over a long period of time, each bowl will include a sort of dread at it running out.

It might be better to just enjoy yourself and smoke it, think of the process as being elegiac instead. Like a send off for the dearly departed. Then go to the pipe club and complain about it being gone lol. It turns into fun stories like "that fish was thiiiiiiiis big!"

Reactions: jpmcwjr

tfdickson

Lifer
May 15, 2014
East End of Long Island
Just opened a 2011 tin of Sophisticate. You never hear anyone mention that one. It's a really delightful matured red, and it's gotten a wondrous sweetness over the years, like caramel candy.

Absolutely right, you never hear it mentioned but it was one of the greats. I first started buying it from Bob Hamlin and have a few of those tins left. When McClelland reintroduced it under their own label I stocked up. I need to revisit this one, thank you for the reminder!

aguineapig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2014
I still feel really lucky that McClelland didn't really strike my fancy, nothing against those in the opposite camp. I do have two tins if 11 year old three oaks Syrian that I guess I'll hold onto for a while longer to look at and "feel rich". Not sure what they are going for these days....