PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Thanks for the suggestion, Jesse. Frog Morton on the Bayou made for a great summer smoke, and I’m sure Frog on the Log will as well. I shall pop a tin soon.

I was just joking around with Frank. I was pretending to play into the McClelland hype where people were scrambling to find a Frog Morton replacement (and still are). With that being said, I do like McClelland blends and Frog Morton was one of the first blends I learned of. So McClelland and Frog Morton brings back good memories, even though I haven’t tried the original yet. When I first got into piping McClelland had just closed down, but I was able to find a good amount of various tins and bulk.

Truth. There are at least a few McClelland sleepers. I think people focus so much on Frog Morton, FMC, Anniversary and 5100 that some start believing those are the only worthwhile blends they produced.
For sure, there are tons of sleepers. They made a hell of a lot of blends.

Reactions: bnichols23

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Other than Yenidje Highlander, which was gone before McClelland shut its doors, Deep Hollow was my favorite thing they produced.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
That one got discontinued three years before the end due to lack of Syrian. The only reason I have so much is that I had a pipe made for it.
It was all discontinued before I ever picked up a pipe. Aside from a brief romance with a basket pipe and some smoker’s pride vanilla cavendish when I was 17 :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Chasing Embers

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Thanks for the fun input, everybody. I’m smoking every bowl of these Virginias with gratitude (and a prayer that someone miraculously gets the McC recipes). I like many other blends but as I’ve smoke back through these jars I have to admit to myself that I haven’t smoked anything else that’s close to the McC Reds. Not the end of the world but still a loss for those of us who like Vas.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I’m smoking every bowl of these Virginias with gratitude (and a prayer that someone miraculously gets the McC recipes).
Getting the recipes wouldn't bring them back. You'd be lacking the quality of leaf that was available to McClelland, the sources they used, and you wouldn't have Mike McNeil riding the production line, sculpting those flavors. Everything has its season, including McClelland. Over is over.