PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DotAndBang’sPipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
I have a few jars of some McClelland Vas that I found, in bulk, and dry, in a small B&M a year ago. When I found them I felt as if I had struck gold. I’ve been smoking those jars more frequently recently. I don’t know if it was the quarantine or what. But tonight I found myself posing the question on whether or not I should really smoke the rest of it, as desired, or try and savor it over time, smoking just a little on special occasions. I know, I know, it’s silly if you’re not into pipe tobacco. But I am. And I’ve decided the adage of “smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em” is my philosophy. Not to be too macabre but who knows if I’ll be around to finish those jars! And so I’m wondering, what would you do? I don’t have an endless supply- probably a couple of months worth (with my smoking habits). I’m legitimately curious if I’m alone in my opinion or not!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’d smoke it on special occasions. But also, whenever the itch strikes. Hahaha. Sometimes a special occasion calls for it. Sometimes it IS the special occasion when you need one.

But when it’s gone it’s gone. And VAs can last a LONG time in the cellar. Can’t live life planning to kick the bucket at any moment, but on the other hand, we all do eventually.

Clear as mud, eh?

Whatever you do, forget about it when you ARE smoking it. At that moment, the fact that your pipe is filled with McClelland VA is all that matters:)puffy

Rockyrepose

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Wyoming USA
Savor means to fully enjoy, either now or then. If you enjoy it, do as you wish. I cellared quite a bit of it over the years and smoke it as I would any other tobacco, there's always other blends.
Pretty much this, I don't quite understand those guys who show pictures of their unopened whiskey collection. Now when should I crack my tin of Christmas Cheer? :LOL:

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I like to stretch the unicorn ride out for as long as possible, so I split rare blends into as many small jars as possible. That way I get to multiply the joy of cracking into a fresh-ish batch, and if I decide I want to hitch my saddle to a dragon, or a loch ness monster that keeps scheming on my treefiddy, I don't have to worry about my unicorn drying out too much.

Last edited:

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Before McClelland went out of business, there were lots of people who griped about it; condiment, ketchup, whatever...

Now it’s like the Holy Grail...

If you appreciate it to the point that it’s special to you, then set some aside. Otherwise just smoke it. There are so many blends available nowadays that it’s not inconceivable you’ll run across something you like even better.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have almost 20 large tins of Frog Morton, and I am waiting for the perfect pipe to pair it with before I open my first tin. I still have yet to try Frog Morton. I also have pounds of other McClelland blends and various tins. I guess I would fall into the “stretch my supply” camp.
Jesus God, man. Open one of those things. Even if you smoked nothing but that, by the time you crack that last tin that latakia is gonna taste like tap water and air. You can smoke some and still dedicate a pipe to it later.

Why do you want to dedicate a pipe to a blend you haven’t even tried yet?

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I have almost 20 large tins of Frog Morton, and I am waiting for the perfect pipe to pair it with before I open my first tin. I still have yet to try Frog Morton. I also have pounds of other McClelland blends and various tins. I guess I would fall into the “stretch my supply” camp.
Dude, get you a churchwarden and get to puffin'! Joking, but compared to many other English blends, FM isn't that picky about the pipe it's smoked in. Kind of an English that smokes like an American Cavendish.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Why do you want to dedicate a pipe to a blend you haven’t even tried yet?

Because it’s FROG MORTON. Have you not heard? The holy grail of pipe tobacco. You must be new here, nOoB.

Dude, get you a churchwarden and get to puffin'! Joking, but compared to many other English blends, FM isn't that picky about the pipe it's smoked in. Kind of an English that smokes like an American Cavendish.

Since it’s an English aromatic I wanted to dedicate a pipe to it. But as you wish, I shall start smoking it soon.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Because it’s FROG MORTON. Have you not heard? The holy grail of pipe tobacco. You must be new here, nOoB.

Since it’s an English aromatic I wanted to dedicate a pipe to it. But as you wish, I shall start smoking it soon.
Hahaha, ok. That’s just kind of like dedicating a book to someone you’ve never met because they’re dead and other people said they were cool.