PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Because I am essentially a lazy slob I use a BIC for the most part. Once in a while I use my Dumont pipe lighter when attempting to impress myself.

When I want the most graceful control, nothing beats a match. But not just any crap match like those used by the sorts of rubes who spend hours scratching after fleas in their long Johns. No, nothing so barbarous, but a real and true match, a Swan Vesta.

A true pipe smoker would use nothing less.
Swifts were also a good Brit match for pipe smokers.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I have several Zippos, and use them almost exclusively when outdoors, but now that the weather is getting colder I’m heading back inside and started to use matches again. I like the small wooden type, and find that I get a better evenly lit bowl. It’s another one of those old-school nuances that add to the enjoyment of pipe smoking IMO.
View attachment 49710
I will be scorned for saying this, but I really like the flickwick hemp lighter. I think it has a lot of advantages. If you pick the right hemp wick, it stays lit in the wind and also allows you to light the bottom of the bowl easier, which in a way helps you save money with lost tobacco that you might normally kick out of the bowl. Not much, but worth mentioning I think. The flame is also fairly cool burning, saving flavor. Also makes the lighter fluid last longer, but that is admittedly at the cost of buying wick. With a small bit of practice it isn't a big deal dexterity-wise. That being said, I do use pipe lighters for the convenience of their built in tools, but I've honestly just started using my finger as a tamper. I will use matches in occasion as well, since there is a certain aesthetic quality to it. Commence the scorn!

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
... just install a lighter gasket. I has a nice secured fit. I will report back w/its performance.
View attachment 72709

UPDATE: My Zippo died this evening, so I was able to get 15 days w/the lighter gasket. I “generally” get about 11-12 days. Nothing earth shattering, but an extra 3-4 days is certainly a plus. My usage is pretty consistent, but I presume that results might vary w/other users.

H

Hfinn

I noticed that setting fire with lighter turns out to be more accurate than matches. When using a lighter, you can direct the flame of the fire and not touch the edges of the bowl, after the matches, the top of the bowl is always burnt.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I noticed that setting fire with lighter turns out to be more accurate than matches. When using a lighter, you can direct the flame of the fire and not touch the edges of the bowl, after the matches, the top of the bowl is always burnt.
Not so for many.

Any source of flame short of an acetylene torch can be successfully used.

Matter of technique, knowing that the flame should not touch the tobacco nor rim; the superheated air past the tip is plenty hot enough to ignite the tobacco.

mithridate

Might Stick Around
Jun 12, 2018
Central Ostrobothnia, Finland
Being visually impaired I always use a lighter. Had I guts to do it with matches, I propably ended up burning the bowl away from around of the tobacco in it. Well, perhaps I got a bit too far with that. I might give matches a try - not with my favourite pipe, though - just for the sake of atmosphere.

I bought a couple of pipe lighters from a tobacco store, and both of them stopped working something like month after I had purchased them. And they were treated very friendly by me. After that I have used colts.