PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have several Zippos, and use them almost exclusively when outdoors, but now that the weather is getting colder I’m heading back inside and started to use matches again. I like the small wooden type, and find that I get a better evenly lit bowl. It’s another one of those old-school nuances that add to the enjoyment of pipe smoking IMO.
5F358E99-411F-4798-BE17-041FF2F3960B.jpeg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Matches are not worthy of lighting my pipes. Only Butane filtered 14 times and over get the privilege of even getting close to my pipes. Matches are for the proletariat and quality high end butane lighters are for the upper end of society. Sorry guys cannot help the truth being the truth.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve never consider the cost... buying fuel, wicks, and flints w/lighters seemed to be a wash, but I’ve never thought about it. The overall differences would seem negligible considering that I get a hand full of matchboxes for free every time I make a purchase.

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
What's the deal with matches over lighters? "Enlighten" me. I don't get it. I've used them here and there but only when I don't have one of my lighters. I get a totally acceptable lighting when using a lighter and I don't end up with a piece of wood in my hands. I want a good reason to try matches again.

Reactions: JOHN72

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What's the deal with matches over lighters? "Enlighten" me. I don't get it. I've used them here and there but only when I don't have one of my lighters. I get a totally acceptable lighting when using a lighter and I don't end up with a piece of wood in my hands. I want a good reason to try matches again.
matches burn cooler and are easier to navigate precisely around the tobacco also the wood adds a flavor that goes with well with any blend. A flavor that brings out the flavor of the tobacco more clearly. It's a lot harder to over light with matches and get tongue bite. It's super easy to get an even light on any pipe no matter how packed. They're just better for getting a tasty comfortable light on your pipe. Try it out for a while and see what we mean.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Bic lighters are cheap, convenient, reliable and have a soft flame.

Although I like using a Zippo lighter, once I'm accustomed to the fumes, a smoke just isn't the same lighting with anything other. So for me, I have to use a Zippo 100% of the time or not at all.