PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
I’ve never heard of these... so I looked them up. They have mixed reviews. Have you had any issues w/them shrinking from coming into contact w/the lighter fluid? They’re only $6.99. I might give them a try ?
View attachment 72354
They don't seem to fit as tight in the insert as they used to. But still must seal against the inside of the case. FWIW, I use Naptha for fluid. $8 a quart.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I guess I'd modify my post to say it's not one vs. the other; both are needed- and desired- in my pipe smoking efforts.

I prefer a solid and long lasting refillable butane lighter such as Old Boy, Dupont, FauxPont and Dunhill. But matches have their place, as does my torch Colibri, and a couple of Zippos.

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I’ve never heard of these... so I looked them up. They have mixed reviews. Have you had any issues w/them shrinking from coming into contact w/the lighter fluid? They’re only $6.99. I might give them a try ?
View attachment 72354
I've had one on my Zippo for two months know. They've not shrunk on me. I think I get an extra 4 to 6 days out of a fill, depending on how much I use the lighter. I like it so far.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
I wanted a pipe lighter until after 3 of them they just aren't consistent enough. They were cheap though, like 30 bucks each, so maybe that has something to do with it. I like Bic, just careful not to burn the rim. Though as I've gotten better at keeping a bowl lit I have begun to think about going to matches for more control.
I did find that matches were more easy to control, but now having run out of matches, I am better at using the long nose lighter.

Reactions: STP and ofafeather

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Because I am essentially a lazy slob I use a BIC for the most part. Once in a while I use my Dumont pipe lighter when attempting to impress myself.

When I want the most graceful control, nothing beats a match. But not just any crap match like those used by the sorts of rubes who spend hours scratching after fleas in their long Johns. No, nothing so barbarous, but a real and true match, a Swan Vesta.

A true pipe smoker would use nothing less.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
I'm back to using my Zippo! Works great after an issue with jammed chunk of flint. I haven't gotten the seals but may if I want longer time between fills.
Let me tell you the extent of my Yankee frugality. Not only do I use naptha for fuel at $8 a quart, I also salvage flints from the disposable lighters that come in a 3 pack at the Dollar Store.