SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 6, 2020
Matches are terrible in my opinion. They get crushed in your pocket, nearly impossible to use outside in the wind, and there always seems to be a nasty taste that they impart onto my tobacco. A bic lighter is just so nice and convenient and the metal part can be used as a tamper in a pinch.

TonyManx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2021
Connecticut
I buy 3 packs of butane lighters at the dollar store. I use those indoors, and in my truck. I use a Zippo outdoors, and in my truck in winter, when it's too cold for butane.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All lighting materials have their place. And the average adult should be able to figure out that the hotter the source of heat, the further away from the tobacco it should be. And/or less time aflame.

You simply draw the tip of the flame near the tobacco, not on it.

(I don't care for lighters that shoot the flame from a nozzle.)

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
I greatly prefer using wooden matches, but I also keep a lighter handy just in case... I've also been looking at Zippos, I used to have one in the late 80's/early 90's with a sailing ship and lighthouse engraved on a faux ivory panel, which I'd like to purchase again for sentimental reasons.

Lyle b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 8, 2019
Northern rivers nsw Australia
Only really found the value of matches in the last couple of months , lighter ran out one day and had to hook into stash of matches , couldn't believe the difference, don't no if my imagination but seem to get a better light , which equaled a better smoke but was just while enjoying at home , when out and about still use a lighter but yea when at home with time am enjoying using matches , I'm converted

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
I pretty much only use matches when I don't have a lighter handy. I even bought one of those help wicks for lighting the pipe but since I still smoke cigarettes :( I usually use a lighter either big or cheap crack lighter they give me free from gas station. A flame is a flame I guess.

wilblee

Lurker
Mar 2, 2021
I go back and forth between matches and lighters fairly indiscriminately. I have a good supply of Swan Vestas and a good supply of butane for my Pipemaster.

I only smoke cobs outside and for windy days I use an angled torch lighter. I tried a Zippo again recently, but I can’t get past the taste.

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Used to be a match guy, but switched over to lighters mostly as it's just easier to get a long gentle light in one go instead of using a few matches. Although I prefer the shape and direction of the flame with matches.

I switched to an imco lighter, but got a cheap dupont knockoff cause i like the clean burn and no fuss filling of a butane.

Lighters were actually invented before strike matches, so technically a lighter is more "old school"