Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Drucquers Banner
I remember my tobacconist warning against using regular butane lighters because something about how the butane would apparently mess with the taste of the tobacco, although I don't know if that's true or not.

I personally use matches since they're cheap and easy to light with, but I always wait a few seconds before lighting to let the phosphorous burn off.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I remember my tobacconist warning against using regular butane lighters because something about how the butane would apparently mess with the taste of the tobacco, although I don't know if that's true or not.

I personally use matches since they're cheap and easy to light with, but I always wait a few seconds before lighting to let the phosphorous burn off.
That is categorically not true if the flame is properly applied- never directly on the tobacco. True of all lighting utensils, (though the odor of lighter fluid is hard to avoid.)

So, who and where was this bozo?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA

Any fuel smell/taste quickly dissipates...

Reactions: Devil Anse

deadidunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2020
Hineston, LA
I generally use my Kiribi Takara or a bic; but after my first seeing this thread, i tried some matches. Wasn't as hot during relights and seemed to give good control for an even light across the bowl. I generally have an issue with broken flake making a center ember, but matches help keep it even a little better. I found some Art style boxes of matches on Amazon to give some decoration to go along with their utility use.
Kinda pricey for matches, but boxes can be reused. They have a pretty good selection of art.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
Lighter, because the seven thousand matches it would take to smoke one bowl would soon add up.

Lumber prices are high enough now, if I start killing trees at that rate no one could afford to build a porch let alone a house.

Maybe I'm a little over the top, more like six thousand, but still...

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Lighter, because the seven thousand matches it would take to smoke one bowl would soon add up.

Lumber prices are high enough now, if I start killing trees at that rate no one could afford to build a porch let alone a house.

Maybe I'm a little over the top, more like six thousand, but still...
Ha... you might want to try and different packing technique, or dry that tobacco out a little?

Reactions: Devil Anse

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012

That's what many say about Zippos also. Which isn't true either. If you let the lighter burn for a couple of seconds before lighting up. (To me)

zensmoker

Lurker
Mar 6, 2018
For the same reason some choose matches, I use a zippo. Nostalgia. I like the clink and click noises of it opening and closing. Re-lights are a treat to my ears and the comforting sound takes me back to my teenage years when we'd sneak one of dads smokes or make a small campfire in the nearby ravine burning various bits of birch bark and dead spruce branches.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I am a butane Pipe lighter user. IM Corona, Dunhill, Dupont.

Frankly, I had no idea there were so many that used matches. I never would have imagined. Maybe I will give it a try. I've got some Swan Vestas here.....
I’m sure that you’ll go back to the lighter, as I do, but it’s a nice alternative if conditions permit ?

Reactions: sandollars

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

the butane burns hotter then a match or zippo or a soft flame butane. Which means it's easier to kind of over cook and heat up the tobacco which will ruin the flavor. Though you can use a butane bic lighter it just takes a wee bit more skill and has a better chance of burning your tongue off.