PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I found a new secret weapon - Beeswax Hemp rope - you carry a butane torch lighter or whatever can get you lit without too much maintenance(wrap it around the body of lighter for convenience) - you light the rope and you can perfectly corner your bowls without burning etc... - like matches but better - at first was skeptical but this stuff is great- buy it by the rolls - just remember buy the one from USA not asia

hairvise

Can't Leave
May 23, 2018
San Francisco
I’m 50/50 using the hand cup technique outside w/matches, but if windy it’s usually a fail... ?
I'm with you on this. I've gotten better with matches now that I'm no longer rushing to light the tobacco as soon as I light the match, but rather, wait for a second to get the wood burning behind my cupped hands and then move the match to the bowl.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I prefer my zippos or Peterson lighters to matches and will probably add a old boy in the near future. For no reason in particular I don't really like Bic lighters I think it could be the fact I buy nice pipes great tobacco and to light it with a Bic seems like an insult however each to their own.
After when I'm buying Real* nice pipes I don't have much money left but for the mediocre tobacco and chine knock off lighters or Bic, Lol?

jei64822

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2020
Matches are fun as a novelty, or even a cedar spill, but lighters are my usual go to. Especially if there's any wind at all.

Reactions: STP and jpmcwjr

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
I found a new secret weapon - Beeswax Hemp rope - you carry a butane torch lighter or whatever can get you lit without too much maintenance(wrap it around the body of lighter for convenience) - you light the rope and you can perfectly corner your bowls without burning etc... - like matches but better - at first was skeptical but this stuff is great- buy it by the rolls - just remember buy the one from USA not asia

I second this !! I was introduced to beeswax hemp rope a couple of months ago and it is far superior IMO. It stays lit in conditions when a match or lighter won't and the small flame is easier to control over the bowl. I dropped in to a pot shop a couple of days ago to pick up a roll of the stuff but they were all sold out.

• Love
Reactions: Sloopjohnbee

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
I second this !! I was introduced to beeswax hemp rope a couple of months ago and it is far superior IMO. It stays lit in conditions when a match or lighter won't and the small flame is easier to control over the bowl. I dropped in to a pot shop a couple of days ago to pick up a roll of the stuff but they were all sold out.
man, sold out - I'm still burnin' through the free samples - Gotta get a roll - I like the thicker guage

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
You all are making me want to try this out now. I saw some on Amazon...

@Effortlessdepths is this similar to what you are using?

Hemplights Hemp Wick Lighter 2 Pack Wrapper, Includes 8FT Hemp Wick USA (Black/Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DKF46M7/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_3CxVFbWB6EKZF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, but make sure the actual hemp rope source is from a reliable US based company - I think there are like 3 companies that mfr the rope in USA like Humboldt

Reactions: STP

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Butane for me. I know letting a fluid lighter go for a few seconds lets some of the stench burn off, but I like being able to fire up ASAP. Used to go with matches at times, but I usually don't keep an ashtray handy.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Okay thank you @wintergarden

I'm just curious, is the stuff made outside the US just complete shite? Can you tell by the burning characteristics?
100% - I used these back in 2010 and they came from Spain, Asia; you can definitely see, smell, and taste the difference. Some of them produce so much filthy toxic soot that I'd say avoid the product altogehter - but luckily you can source some quality goods. I think Spain was okay

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
100% - I used these back in 2010 and they came from Spain, Asia; you can definitely see, smell, and taste the difference. Some of them produce so much filthy toxic soot that I'd say avoid the product altogehter - but luckily you can source some quality goods. I think Spain was okay
Ah yes, the bundle of wick I was looking to purchase was actually made in China, I'm glad you said something! I actually found some made in the USA for a good price, I'll give that a shot. Thanks again.

Reactions: jpmcwjr