PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DAR

Can't Leave
Aug 2, 2020
Tiburon, California
matches burn cooler and are easier to navigate precisely around the tobacco also the wood adds a flavor that goes with well with any blend. A flavor that brings out the flavor of the tobacco more clearly. It's a lot harder to over light with matches and get tongue bite. It's super easy to get an even light on any pipe no matter how packed. They're just better for getting a tasty comfortable light on your pipe. Try it out for a while and see what we mean.

Thank you. That's what I was looking for. Sounds like good reasons to give them a try. I like to fiddle with things and "good" (as in lighters) is hardly ever good enough for me. I'll try to get into matches and see if that sparks up my pipe smoking.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Thank you. That's what I was looking for. Sounds like good reasons to give them a try. I like to fiddle with things and "good" (as in lighters) is hardly ever good enough for me. I'll try to get into matches and see if that sparks up my pipe smoking.

The concept of pipe smoking for some is to bridge the past w/the present. If smoking alone was the sole purpose, then there are other more convenient means to accomplish this act. The same could be said with facilitating the process with flame. While lighters are certainly more convenient, matches add to the nostalgia... It’s like driving a classic car, lighting a candle, etc. The features are antiquated, but the experience can be fulfilling. If you like to fiddle, give it a try?

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
What's the deal with matches over lighters? "Enlighten" me. I don't get it. I've used them here and there but only when I don't have one of my lighters. I get a totally acceptable lighting when using a lighter and I don't end up with a piece of wood in my hands. I want a good reason to try matches again.
The reason I prefer matches is I've had no luck with lighters. Longest one lasted for me before it bit the dust was 6 months. Plus, as much as I smoke, the cost and hassle of refilling lighters is unappealing. I only smoke indoors.

Kottan

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 5, 2020
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
What's the deal with matches over lighters? "Enlighten" me. I don't get it. I've used them here and there but only when I don't have one of my lighters. I get a totally acceptable lighting when using a lighter and I don't end up with a piece of wood in my hands. I want a good reason to try matches again.
Hello DAR,
I only use matchsticks to supply my nostalgic feelings every now and then.That a decent pipe smoker would use them solely because of whatoever is IMO a myth. Infact It has no influence on the qualities of a smoke. In other words there is no difference if you use lighters or machtes. In both cases you have to be carefull not to scorch the rim and to lit the tobacco surface evenly. Try it out and please report back your experiences.

Reactions: JOHN72

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
As I just got back into pipes again a few months ago, I bought some Diamond matches, and thought this is a nice inexpensive way to light the pipe.

Well the wood would burn and the flame would get bigger, not ideally a way to control it very well, and I found it quite easy to burn/char the bowl rim.

I guess if you have an inexpensive pipe, that you don’t mind burning the bowl rim.

For me, matches it didn’t work out well, so I bought an IM Corona Ole Boy, easy to adjust the flame, and not burn the rim.

P.S. Matches, and sitting on the couch in the dark, late at night watching the Tube, and trying to light the pipe... Nope not working... LOL

Reactions: JOHN72 and jpmcwjr

SoliDeoGloria

Lurker
Nov 18, 2020
Bluegrass, KY
As a newbie, I'm Team Lighter. Mostly wind resistant, easy to flick and light without piddling around with matches. I get the appeal of wooden matches, but a good smoke for me is about less stress which = lighter.

I found one at Dollar Tree the other day that is like a hybrid of a Bic and an Aim 'n Flame. Compact like a Bic, but a small 1" arm that helps in flame application. I believe it's made by Scripto.

I have a Zippo pipe lighter on my Christmas wish list too.