PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I will be scorned for saying this, but I really like the flickwick hemp lighter. I think it has a lot of advantages. If you pick the right hemp wick, it stays lit in the wind and also allows you to light the bottom of the bowl easier, which in a way helps you save money with lost tobacco that you might normally kick out of the bowl. Not much, but worth mentioning I think. The flame is also fairly cool burning, saving flavor. Also makes the lighter fluid last longer, but that is admittedly at the cost of buying wick. With a small bit of practice it isn't a big deal dexterity-wise. That being said, I do use pipe lighters for the convenience of their built in tools, but I've honestly just started using my finger as a tamper. I will use matches in occasion as well, since there is a certain aesthetic quality to it. Commence the scorn!
I buy the wick in bulk and wind it up on a stick I've whittled that doubles as a tamp. I always carry my CZESK too. I refer to it as 'wick on a stick'. I've dabbled with other holders, like a bic case that has a place to wrap at the bottom and thread it toward the top and the flame, but I find having my bic and stick usually easier to manage. I used an old medicine bottle for a long time, but then I stopped smoking inside and needed more portability.

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL
I buy the wick in bulk and wind it up on a stick I've whittled that doubles as a tamp. I always carry my CZESK too. I refer to it as 'wick on a stick'. I've dabbled with other holders, like a bic case that has a place to wrap at the bottom and thread it toward the top and the flame, but I find having my bic and stick usually easier to manage. I used an old medicine bottle for a long time, but then I stopped smoking inside and needed more portability.
Could you post pictures? I had an idea similar to this

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I carry the lighter, the tool and the stick. All about the same length. I have a few 'sticks.
I'm only posing w/the apple meer, cuz I don't smoke inside any more. It's been awhile now.WIN_20210425_06_24_32_Pro.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: STP and JOHN72

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have a pipe ashtray that I mostly use more for storage than ashes. There’s a Zippo, a couple boxes of matches, and Czech a tool in there... Lately, it seems that I’m reaching for the matches more than the lighter, unless it’s windy.

C

carolinasmokes

I like matches myself but there always seems to be a breeze when I go out for a smoke, so I use a BIC lighter most times unless really windy then I break out the zippo.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
I prefer matches, but never use them. Since I have small children and can't smoke inside, it's never still enough to use a match. I have a nice Zippo, but am having a hard time finding just a pipe insert (except those Chinese POS from Amazon or AliExpress) and can't quite seem to control the flame from a normal insert. I'm sure Coronas and *real* pipe lighters are great, but the price is more than I can justify to myself or (more importantly) Mrs. Rookie. Which leaves me using the ever present Bic.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I prefer matches, but never use them. Since I have small children and can't smoke inside, it's never still enough to use a match. I have a nice Zippo, but am having a hard time finding just a pipe insert (except those Chinese POS from Amazon or AliExpress) and can't quite seem to control the flame from a normal insert. I'm sure Coronas and *real* pipe lighters are great, but the price is more than I can justify to myself or (more importantly) Mrs. Rookie. Which leaves me using the ever present Bic.
You can get the Zippo lighter w/pipe insert directly from Zippo (link below). If you just want the pipe insert, then contact them directly and they’ll send you one… sometimes for free or a nominal fee, at least they did it for me. I think I had to just pay for shipping ?

Reactions: RookieGuy

OtcBastid

Lurker
May 19, 2021
Matches provide superior control of heat and create more even burning bowls just about everytime. Smoking outdoors in wind...lighters help. But for flavor and longer lasting bowls a match just works.

Matches provide feedback when drawing on the flame, lighters really do push a hard high temp flame down the bowl. I always get better smoke with matches.

Reactions: JOHN72 and STP

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Disagree. First, you should never force a flame down a chamber. Draw it in. Second, butane flames are steadier than matches, and you get superior control of heat through judicious adjustments of distance and time.
That's not to say there's anything wrong with matches. I use them almost daily, but prefer butane.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve been smoking outside since March and I’ve been using my Zippos when breezy, but find that I’m reaching for matches more and more.

Reactions: JOHN72