PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Okay, to take this one step further… when I light my bowl, the back rim(closest to me) always darkens first. Does anyone else experience this and is it the lighter type? I’ve never used matches only butane.

Reactions: JOHN72 and STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Okay, to take this one step further… when I light my bowl, the back rim(closest to me) always darkens first. Does anyone else experience this and is it the lighter type? I’ve never used matches only butane.
Possible reason: When you draw the flame into the bowl, the draught hole is closet to you. So it’s pulling the fame down and toward you ?

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
On second thought… I noticed this evening that when I light the bowl the pipe is typically leaning forward. As such, the smoke/soot is generally flowing up along the back rim. Maybe that’s the cause. It’s an interesting observation nonetheless.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Dudditz

bayareabriar

May 8, 2019
On second thought… I noticed this evening that when I light the bowl the pipe is typically leaning forward. As such, the smoke/soot is generally flowing up along the back rim. Maybe that’s the cause. It’s an interesting observation nonetheless.
Yeah, I try to keep it level and I’m pretty mindful. But every damn pipe the back rim is blackened. Eh.

Dudditz

Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Now that is an "AHA" moment!!! ?

Reactions: JOHN72 and STP

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yep. Two steps needed if you care: Hold pipe level, and more importantly, draw the flame down to the center of the chamber, and keep the tip of the flame above the tobacco.

One reason I dislike nozzles on pipe lighters. Useless to me, if not downright counter-productive.

But, hey, they all get the tobacco lit, no?

growfood

Lurker
Nov 22, 2023
Chester County, PA
Hemp wick for me. I like the thick one from Bee Line Hemp Wick. I find it to burn cooler, if you want you can let the flame run a second for more flame. If I'm lighting the end or a shallow bowl I can get the wick down in there easy

Reactions: STP and JOHN72